ACT score for math placement?

We sent my sons highest composite score (33) to so that he’s eligible for the presidential and honors, but his math sub score on that was 29 (placing him in the precalc series) . He did get a 32 math sub score on a different test- but since the composite isn’t highest (31) will they use that sub score for math placement or will he need to take the placement test? My son is going into computer science and needs to start with the calc (125/145) series. Too bad he bombed the science portion on that test, lol. Thanks!

Good question! Did you send that other test to Bama?

On one hand, I think that test will work, however, I’m also concerned that Bama may only input the sub scores from the highest composite. This may need to be directly addressed.

What math level has/is he taken in HS?

https://testing.ua.edu/request-information

Fill out that form with your question and let us know the answer.

Also…only if necessary, your son could take whatever’s needed during the summer to be Calc-ready.

@mellietx How did you find out which math class your son would be placed in? My D will only need 1 math credit for her degree plan, and there isn’t one specified in Degreeworks. She’s thinking about getting it out of the way next summer! They have her ACT and SAT scores. I didn’t see any specific info on the placement testing page for UA. She may be using the form linked by @mom2collegekids as well!

Momof2TX, if you haven’t already, take a look at the catalog here: https://catalog.ua.edu/undergraduate/arts-sciences/mathematics/courses/

That will give you a description of the math courses and required prerequisites and placement scores for some of the courses. I’m pretty sure the placement scores for the courses up to Calc 1 are also listed someplace, but I didn’t immediately find them. My recollection from when my daughter was an incoming freshman is that DegreeWorks specified her placement, but I think the highest placement they list is MATH121/125 (Calculus), because my daughter already had credit for MATH125 (she’d taken at community college the summer before her senior year) and that was still listed as her placement.

@beth’s mom Thank you! Very helpful seeing the descriptions. Also, there is now a placement specified on one of the worksheets in Degreeworks. We may have just missed it before. There’s a lot of information to take in! It says 121/125. She’s not going into a math or science major, so was hoping to get by with taking a lower math!

She can take a lower math. You don’t have to take the class you place into; you can choose to take a lower level. Same thing goes for language placement. However, there are majors beyond math and science that require calculus. What’s her major?

She’s going into Telecommunication and Film, which, as far as we can tell,doesn’t have a specific requirement. We’re headed to Tuscaloosa in a few weeks for another visit through the Honors College, with meetings in the Communications Dept, so we’ll add it to our list of questions! She hasn’t decided on a minor yet, which might also have an impact. She wants to start a new language, so no issues there. She took Latin in HS, and wants to try a modern language that she might actually speak some day!

My son didn’t take AP classes in high school and didn’t want to bother with CLEP tests even though he’d had two years of advanced calculus. As I recall, he had to take a math placement test (not sure if it was an engineering college thing or general university requirement), and the highest level he could qualify for was Calc 1. Maybe that test will do the trick for those on the border?

If her major doesn’t require any particular math courses (and I don’t think Telecommunications and Film does), then the Gen Ed requirement will be satisfied with MATH 110 or higher. Definitely ask when you’re visiting, though, to see if there’s a course they recommend.

Yay! Check degree works today and they accepted the higher sub score, so he’s met the precalc prerequisite. Thanks for the help everyone!

Thank you for the update!!!