ACT Writing

My son’s girlfriend will be applying to UA when the application opens. Since we just finished all of this I am trying to help her with upcoming dates. I thought UA required the writing portion of the ACT or SAT but the website says it does not require it but it can be used if needed. I could be confused with UGA requirements so I just wanted to double check.

Well…just looked at this: http://gobama.ua.edu/steps/freshman-req/
…and this IS different from previous years! UA had always required a writing from any ACT, but apparently not any more. Good news for some. Also good news for those borderline folks…

well…no sooner did I write that ^, when I thought I would check another place: http://gobama.ua.edu/apply/ and when I downloaded the PRINT application instructions, it still says that it DOES require a writing portion from either ACT or SAT. So, just wait until the final application comes out (another week or so?), and see then. Or, if you can’t wait, call the admissions office on Monday and ask for sure. Sorry for any confusion. I can see why you asked the question in the first place! :wink:

Thanks @aeromom! I thought it was required last year. She is taking it on the October ACT but is planning on being with us at the first ballgame the day of the September ACT. I was getting some information for her including registering for housing as soon as it opens & realized if it is required she will not be accepted by the first of October since she hasn’t taken it yet.

I don’t think it’s going to be required. The print app may still say that, but that other link appears to be a more recent update. You can email Admissions and ask.

OP, if you decide to contact admissions you should be sure to specify whether a writing score is required on ALL test scores that are submitted. I was under the impression that for last year’s admission cycle, so long as the applicant submitted at least one test score which included a writing score, then it would not be necessary to include a writing score on any subsequent test scores that were submitted.

For example, if a student took the ACT test twice, if the first test included a writing score then there would be no need to include a writing score for the second test. Similarly, if a student took the SAT which included the writing and submitted that score to UA, then the student would not need to include the optional writing component on the ACT.

(I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THIS WAS DOUBLE-POSTED, PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES)

OP, if you decide to contact admissions you should be sure to specify whether a writing score is required on ALL test scores that are submitted. I was under the impression that for last year’s admission cycle, so long as the applicant submitted at least one test score which included a writing score, then it would not be necessary to include a writing score on any subsequent test scores that were submitted.

For example, if a student took the ACT test twice, if the first test included a writing score then there would be no need to include a writing score for the second test. Similarly, if a student took the SAT which included the writing and submitted that score to UA, then the student would not need to include the optional writing component on the ACT.

I called…they like to see it but it is no longer required for admission.

That’s how it was last year @fatherof2boys…it was only required that they take it once