Activities to Show Passion for Nursing?

I know one thing most people do is volunteer at the hospital but all nearby hospitals are no longer accepting volunteers, so that’s out of the option. I’m planning to volunteer at a rehabilitation center this summer, but does anyone have any other suggestions for ways to show dedication to nursing?

Check some of the smaller and more urban hospitals, which may receive fewer volunteer applications. Some people volunteer to help with ambulance squads. Volunteering at any type of health care facility would be a plus. The main goal is to show that you have seen what nurses really do, and are not easily grossed out.

Taking advanced first aid and CPR training also may show interest. My daughter worked as a lifeguard during summers, which tied in nicely with that training.

If your high school requires a senior project, you might interview nurses as part of that project.

You might also try nursing homes - it’s a different type of nursing, but depending on what you do there is still plenty of patient interaction.

Our high school has a career mentorship program, where kids are hooked up with professionals in the community for a certain number of hours. If there is nothing official, perhaps you could inquire at the hospital (or wherever) about shadowing a nurse for a couple shifts. My daughter did 18 hours (two shifts) through the program. It pretty much cemented her desire to pursue nursing, and she had to write an essay about it that may become the basis for college essays.

Good luck!

My daughter worked one summer for an ARC camp. Also did the life-guarding and had CPR (but just know that you’ll need the BLS through the heart association, not the red cross certification for nursing). We have a local facility that serves individuals with brain injuries. The facility gets anyone who works there his or her CNA certification. Lots of places where you can get care experience. Don’t limit yourself to hospitals.

Thanks for the responses!

@conflicted101 Try nursing homes, senior citizen independent living homes, daycare centers, the YMCA (or any other place with activities for kids), lifeguarding, or camps for kids. Any of these places would be okay as long as you can relate your volunteer experience to nursing (ex: if an admissions counselor asks you about it).

I agree with getting CPR certified as well. I don’t think it will have a huge impact on your admissions decision, but it’ll certainly be another thing to add to your common app activities section. Just know that CPR certification expires in 2 years, and you will probably be asked to get certified again when starting your nursing clinicals (usually in 3rd year of college).