Starting too Late?

I’m a junior this year, and am now certain I want to become a nurse. The problem is, I didn’t realize this until the end of sophomore year. I currently don’t have any nursing/healthcare related extracurricular. I’ve applied to become a volunteer EMT and am planning on joining a nursing club at my school, but I’m worried it will look bad that I’ve only begun doing these things junior year. Will this impact my chances of getting into a good nursing school?

My daughter didn’t decide on nursing as a major until summer before her senior year. The only thing she did as an EC was a medical explorer’s club through the local hospital.

Many nursing schools want to see that an applicant is serious about nursing, instead of people who are only applying to nursing because they think they will have job security . Therefore, it is good to have some type of volunteer or work experience in a health care field, so you have some understanding of what nursing is really like.

However, many people are accepted to nursing school without any specific nursing extra curriculars.

One of the most important things you can do is to take AP Bio or AP Anatomy your senior year, if it is available.

My daughter found that it was very hard to get into a volunteer spot at the large suburban hospital in our area. She volunteered for a few weeks at a smaller inner city hospital. She then used that volunteer work as the basis for her required high school graduation project.

My daughter also worked during summers as a lifeguard, which gave her CPR and advanced first aid training, which was a plus.

You have a full year to look for opportunities to explore health care before you need to apply. You are on the right track with your plans so far.

Some health systems sponsor health care or medical “explorers” posts that are designed to provide info to high school students about health care fields. Check to see if one is offered in your area.

Some of the larger ambulance/Emergency Medical Service organizations may have volunteer or educational opportunities for high school students, even if they do not accept you as a regular EMT.

You could also look at area rehab and nursing homes for volunteer experience. It was very hard for DD as well to get a spot as a candy striper (but she finally got one last year), so a doctor friend suggested a local nursing home. She did that for two years before doing the candy striping.

Also, see if there is a career mentorship program anywhere connected to your school. You can shadow a floor nurse, which might give you some inspiration for those “why do you want to be a nurse?” essays you will likely have to write.

My d had one summer working for an ARC camp. Otherwise she was a lifeguard (first aid and CPR) and had other “regular” ECs. She didn’t decide on nursing until halfway through freshman year of college. Program was not direct entry. I know that’s the end all be all here on cc, but lots of competitive entry programs graduate cohorts of BSNs. Anyway, her grades mattered a whole lot more than any EC.

Thanks for the replies! I was just accepted as a cadet for my local EMS, which requires a lot of commitment. Is this a good way to show that I’m serious about nursing? @ordinarylives @bearcatfan @Charliesch @MomOf3DDs

Congratulations :slight_smile:
Also, make sure you take biology honors, chemistry honors, anatomy and physiology honors, and, if possible, AP bio and AP Chem.

My D’s best friend in college entered as a major in something other than nursing. During freshman year, she decided she wanted to be a nurse. The school has a direct admit program which she applied to. She wound up spending 5 years in college because she essentially had to start over, but she has been a nurse for 3 years now and loves it. She had done no nursing related EC’s in HS.

Yes, volunteering for an EMS service should be excellent preparation.

AP Bio is more valuable for nursing than AP chem.

Thanks for the responses! I’m taking AP Chem this year and will take AP Bio senior year.

Ask the Red Cross about volunteer opportunities in your area. I was a Red Cross volunteer in high school and held a couple of interesting positions. One in the emergency room, and one at the help desk. They also utilize volunteers for blood drives.

EMS will be fun. You’ll enjoy it. Be careful of too many overnights cutting into your study time. Keep your grades up.