Actual Results Thread for African Americans

<p>^ congrats dude.</p>

<p>i just got my letter from AMERICAN!</p>

<p>Accepted: University of Florida
Likely letters from: Wellesley and Dartmouth (full tuition to D-mouth)</p>

<p>Stats:[ul]</p>

<p>[<em>] SAT: 2010 (720 CR, 740 W, 550 M)
[</em>] SAT IIs: Pure failure.
[<em>] ACT: 28
[</em>] GPA: 3.76 UW, 5.06 W
[<em>] Rank: 11/324
[</em>] Ap Courses: Will have completed 11 by graduation. AP Language - 4, APUSH -3, AP Bio -3, AP PSYCH - 4</p>

<p>[/ul]Subjective:[ul]</p>

<p>[<em>] Essays: Awesome (except for the ones I submitted early through Q-bridge. Those were a little cruddy)
[</em>] Teacher Recs: Great
[<em>] Counselor Rec: Not sure. I had just transferred from a different school and didn't know him very well at the time.
[</em>] Hook (if any): um yeah, were all URM!</p>

<p>[/ul]Location/Person:[ul]</p>

<p>[<em>] State or Country:
[</em>] School Type: Public
[<em>] Gender: Female
[</em>] major strength/weakness: Essay writing/My SAT math score
[<em>] why you think you were accepted/rejected/defered where you were: Blackness... lol, but I'd like to believe it's due to my amazing writing skills. Seriously. That and my focus on a few important volunteering positions and a dedication to preserving the environment.
[</em>] significant awards/recongitions: QuestBridge Finalist
[li] summer activities: um....stepmania?</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Other Factors: Dartmouth 2013, baby! (unless Princeton accepts me, lol)</p>

<p>the.pfenix: Sorry, we got my daughter's FA today from Wash U...it's close enough that we could sacrifice and send her. We're telling her now if money wasn't an object, where would you go?</p>

<p>Accepted: Cornell, Wesleyan, Swarthmore, Fordham, State Flagship's Honor Program
Denied: Nowhere
Waiting: On a few other</p>

<p>Stats
SAT: CR (720) M (710) W (730)= 2160
SAT IIs: Lit (720) U.S. History (680) Math (660?)
ACT: n/a
GPA: 3.9 unweighted
Ap Courses: 2 AP's (all school offers) and 3 college courses
Other stats:</p>

<p>Subjective:
Essays: My main essay was good but my supplements varied
Teacher Recs: I think that al my recs were really good. At a small school, teachers tend to know you well.
Counselor Rec: ^
Hook (if any): </p>

<p>Location/Person:
State or Country: CT
School Type: Catholic
Major strength/weakness: I didn't have the chance to take many APs and couldn't afford taking multiple college courses.
Why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: I think my leadership in multiple clubs and volunteering helped a lot.
Significant awards/recognitions: Mostly local awards, NHS, National Achievement, etc.
summer activities: CTY, Internships, Volunteering</p>

<p>Other Factors:</p>

<p>Congrats hopefully there will be many more acceptances to come. Everybody remember to update as you get acceptances.</p>

<p>Update!!!</p>

<p>Accepted to: Washington University in St. Louis
Likely Letter: Rice
Waiting on: Stanford, Brown, Pitzer</p>

<p>2legit2quit- congrats! Hope you and I get into Brown : )</p>

<p>lol. I'm going to be staring at my screen the next day b/c I'm too scared to check it on the same day everyone else is..I think I'm gonna wait until that Friday. At least so I can deal with failure over the weekend..March 31st 5 pm EST (DOOM's DAY!) lmao. G luck with the other schools!</p>

<p>Decision: ACCEPTED to Northeastern University and UMASS Amherst.
Waiting on: Amherst, Barnard, Bryn Mawr, BC, BU, Emmanuel, Spelman, FAMU, Holy Cross, and Brown…I’m dying to know about the rest. Can’t wait until April 1st, I’m just tired of hanging out in limbo here = /</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 510 CR/590 M/550WR (1100/1650)
ACT: 23 (didn’t send)
SAT II: 650 Math I, 700 Math II
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.70
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): top 10% (I think..haven’t checked on class rank since the beginning of last yr.)
Senior Year Course Load: all the AP’s at my school; AP Bio, AP Stats, AP Govt., AP Computer Science A, AP Eng Lit & Comp, H Anatomy & Phys., H Christian Morality Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Finalist in Excellence in Youth Advocacy Award, Lucille Miller Wright Scholar, Kohl’s Kids Who Care Scholarship Finalist, Goldman Sachs Girls Incorporated Corporate Camp for Entrepreneurship Competition Finalist
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): I participate in a myriad of extracurricular activities such as National Honor Society, Science League, College Bowl, Mock Trial Program, Yearbook Committee, Rachel's Challenge, Newspaper Club as well as Volleyball for two years, Soccer for two years, and Track for 3 years.</p>

<p>I am a La Verdad substance abuse prevention peer leader, a part of my city's Youth City Council, Northeast Tobacco Youth Advisory Board, part of the 84 Statewide Tobacco Crew, Anti-Violence Club at North Shore Community College, Reach out and Read volunteer at the local Community Health Center, NHS tutor at my school, Girls Incorporated Tutor, Fourth Grade Sunday School Teacher for two years, Walk for Hunger 2008 organizer, Liver Foundation Walk, and an Obama campaign volunteer this year, as well as many other volunteer opportunities during my high school career.</p>

<p>I recently wrote a grant for Girls incorporated and we were awarded it accordingly $10, 000 to fund a role model's tobacco group which I am leading. I was also given an award for being the National Finalist for Excellence in Youth Advocacy Award and given a citation by the mayor of my city....I am planning on sending as a supplement material to my application a copy of this award and citation.</p>

<p>Job/Work Experience: La Verdad peer leader internship, Student Receptionist
Volunteer/Community service: see extracurriculars…I have so much I don’t write down lol.
Summer Activities: Beaverdash at MIT/SummerLab at BU Med School/La Verdad peer leader internship/MADD Youth Volunteer/
Essays: talked about my involvement in Girls Incorporated and how it changed my life!
Teacher Recommendation: I didn’t see them but my teachers know me VERY well, so I wouldn’t doubt their honesty and effort!
Counselor Rec: I probably give him more scholarships to tell my other peers in school then any one ever has. He always laughs at the fact I’m dedicated to doing 23 scholarships!
Additional Rec: For Northeastern, I was nominated for the Torch Scholars Program and didn’t get it but I think they used my nomination in the application process as well, especially since my advisor who nominated me had the chance to reveal a side of me the admissions officers probably didn’t know. And UMASS A, I kind of expected to get in.
Other
Interview: nope!
Applied for Financial Aid?: yep!
Intended Major: Biology/Pre-med track
State (if domestic applicant): MA
School Type: private
Ethnicity: Black Caribbean
Income Bracket: lower middle class
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM (we all are!)/first generation
Reflection
Strengths: My comm. Service and leadership awards, definitely my forte! My essays were good as well.
Weaknesses: my test scores; I thought I would have been straight rejected! Stinks I can’t go though = /
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I have no idea…I thought it was a mistake when I checked my decision. I’m still in shock. NEU’s not that big a deal to a lot of people on here but because of my problem with anxiety and taking tests I haven’t had much faith in getting into ANYWHERE at all. So, this was pretty nice =]
General Comments: NEU gave me a $12, 000 grant & then $8, 000 worth of work study/federal loans but it still won’t make up for the 27, 000 dollars I will have to pay. I got money from another scholarship and hoping for some more scholarships but I highly doubt that I can afford NEU = / I’m waiting on my fin-aid from UMASS Amherst.</p>

<p>i just got into University of South Carolina!</p>

<p>As of NOW:</p>

<p>Accepted: Howard, NC State, American, University of South Carolina
Denied: UNC
Wait-listed: Univ of Conn.</p>

<p>im still waiting on George Washington, NYU, and Boston College!</p>

<p>^^^^^^^ akward: I hope she chooses the right school for her... I know it can be tough... but if it were me in her shoes right now, I'd definitely want it. Maybe she's worried you'll overextend yourself financially? I know I worry alot about taking too much money from my parents, b/c I really want my 3 siblings to also get a great education. Anyways, again, best of luck.</p>

<p>You're right...she is very concerned with how much we have to pay out of pocket. However, we don't want her to worry about that. It is our responsibility to help her get through college and we'll do what it takes to send her where she wants to go. She's worked very hard and deserves it. That being said, my pocketbook would be REAL HAPPY if she chose a cheaper school. Her next sibling won't enter college for 11 years...we planned it that way :)</p>

<p>I can't really explain my status at UT Austin.... Still waiting on Columbia.... and accepted to MIT (where I plan to go)</p>

<p>I'm not sure about financial stuff yet...</p>

<p>Stats:[ul]
[<em>] SAT: average...
[</em>] SAT IIs: ok...
[<em>] ACT:31
[</em>] GPA: 3.87/4.00
[<em>] Rank: 14/360
[</em>] Ap Courses: Senior Year: Spanish V, Biology, Calculus BC, English Lit
[<em>] Other stats: I've been in Marching/concert/jazz band for years, and several other clubs
[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[</em>] Essays: Eh, by no means amazing
[<em>] Teacher Recs: Great! I owe A LOT to my teachers
[</em>] Counselor Rec: Amazing also
[<em>] Hook (if any): um yeah, were all URM!
[/ul]Location/Person:[ul]
[</em>] State or Country: Texas
[<em>] School Type: Pretty much everyone goes to a state school...A couple of years ago we had someone go to Cornell and Harvard(even more years ago)
[</em>] Gender: Female
[<em>] major strength/weakness: I'm just really good at Math
[</em>] why you think you were accepted/rejected/defered where you were: somewhere along the lines I had a good hook.....
[<em>] significant awards/recongitions: nothing major
[</em>] summer activities: fort Worth Zoo Volunteen.. Mission Trips
[/ul]Other Factors:</p>

<p>^^^
I had to edit that 5 times because I kept forgetting random spaces...
XD</p>

<p>Congrats I am also a fellow Texan and it is good to see Texans doing well!!!!</p>

<p>SO FAR, I've gotten into NYU-Tisch, Pepperdine and Syracuse U and rejected at UCLA and CSULB. Waiting on a couple more colleges. I'll post all my stats as soon as I hear from all of them, but I'll tell ya right now that I'm black (parents are Nigerian), first generation, female and from SoCal :D</p>

<p>Update, guys: just got a call this morning from one of my interviewers at the University of Richmond. I've been chosen for the full tuition Richmond Scholarship! I was freaking out.</p>

<p>yay Congrats! I just found out I got the Trustees Scholarship at Emmanuel College, most likely I'm not going though..I have to wait on my other options.</p>

<p>O, I'm getting so excited with all the good news on this thread!</p>

<p>Does anyone have any advice on how to lower expectations?</p>

<p>I would say to just realize that, in the game of admissions, there really are thousands of other kids out there every bit as good as you are, and many of those kids are hooked, just like everyone on here is. I had kind of tricked myself into believing that I would get into nearly all of my schools because I was an african american with solid stats... unfortunately, that isn't true. Getting waitlisted was a huge wake up call. It is what it is. So, looking a the schools you're applying to, I would remind myself that, you know, it is Princeton. No hook is going to change the fact that it is one of the most difficult schools i the country to get into. The same could be said for many top schools.</p>

<p>superwoman: thanks. Now I don't have to go to Oklahoma!</p>