Actual Results Thread for African Americans

<p>Congratulations everyone! Especially Dalits09 with MIT! I hope everyone gets into where they want to go and Dalits 09 to with Columbia =).</p>

<p>I got into Georgia Tech... but I'll post my stats and stuff when the rest of my decisions come in.</p>

<p>Hey guys! I won't post all my ECs and stuff (they're very specific), but here's my academic stuff:</p>

<p>SAT: 2280 (800CR, 770W, 710M)
SAT II's: haha don't remember, all low 700's in Spanish, Lit, Physics, and Math II
ACT: 33
GPA: 4.9ishW, 4.0UW
IB candidate, National Merit, National Achievement, AP scholar with Distinction and other random stuff...
Great essays and recs.</p>

<p>So far accepted at Yale (EA), Amherst (early write), UMichigan (possible full-ride), UIowa (possibe full-ride), State flagship. I only have to hear from Harvard and Stanford.</p>

<p>Ah. You are clearly awesome.</p>

<p>I definitely concur with the above.</p>

<p>I have to concur as well :).</p>

<p>Seriously, though, some of the stats on here scare me.</p>

<p>Accepted to Yale (SCEA), MIT, Vanderbilt, Early Notification Columbia SEAS and Cornell Engineering, UT Austin (Cockrell School of Engineering/Plan II honors)</p>

<p>Stats:[ul]
[<em>] SAT: 1980 660 CR, 690 M, 630 W
[</em>] SAT IIs: Math IIC (700); Biology-M (640); Chemistry (700)
[<em>] ACT: n/a
[</em>] GPA: 4.0/4.0
[<em>] Rank: 2/440
[</em>] Ap Courses: English Language 5 US History 5 Chemistry 3 World History 4
[li] Senior Year Course Load: Biotechnology, AP Calc BC, AP Eng Lit, AP Physics C, AP Biology, Theater Arts[/li][/ul]</p>

<p>Subjective:[ul]
[<em>] Essays: Strong, personal perspective
[</em>] Teacher Recs: Great ones from biology teacher known for 4 years and english teacher
[<em>] Counselor Rec: Great one
[</em>] Hook (if any): URM, science, well rounded…
[/ul]Location/Person:[ul]
[<em>] State or Country: TX
[</em>] School Type: Public
[<em>] Gender: Male
[</em>] major strength/weakness: strength: good writer, leadership weakness: standardized tests
[<em>] why you think you were accepted/rejected/defered where you were: Good essays, good recs, diverse activites, a miracle perhaps, showed myself in every application, leadership ability
[</em>] significant awards/recongitions: National Acievement, AP Scholar
[li] summer activities: AusPrEP (Summer Engineering Program at local college 3 years)[/li][/ul]</p>

<p>Other Factors:[ul]
[li] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):[/li]Class president 3 years 9,10,11
National Honor Society President 2 years 11,12
AP Ambassadors 3 years 10,11,12 (Science Director for tutoring)
Leadership Committee (Plan out things for the school and a freshman transition camp) 4 years 9,10,11,12
Science Olympiad 4 years 9,10,11,12 (Competed state level every year)
Soccer 4 years 9,10,11,12 (2009 25-5A District Champs!)
French Club 4 years 9,10,11,12
[/ul]</p>

<p>Seriously, what IS it with all these black Yale EA admits? Can you guys share the secret to your success?
@galestorm- Yeah, alot of kids on here are very accomplished. It is less scary than before for me, though. But, then, this is probably only a taste of what it will be like for you guys if you decide to go ivy... ;) So, best of luck.</p>

<p>Haha, if I knew why the heck they let me in I would tell you. My EC's may have tipped me over, just because I'm really into one unique thing (unique as in curling, or digeridoo playing). But seriously, who knows?</p>

<p>I wish I had a digeridoo to tip me over.... But all I have is art. Note to self: tell all of my ambitious junior friends to acquire a wacky hobby before app time.</p>

<p>Update: Just got into UofC :)</p>

<p>Update: Just got into Bryn Mawr with a 43, 013.00 grant! Omg, I'm like shaking right now...I knew God had a plan for me :) . p.s. never give up hope! Idk if I'm going but it's gonna be really hard to not go when my parent's are going to pay practically $500.00 for me to go to school. lol</p>

<p>superwoman: Congratulations on Bryn Mawr! What an incredible scholarship offer! You and your family must be so excited. I am very happy for you.</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: Duke, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Riverside, Cal POly SLO, SDSU, ASU
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: Regents Scholarship at Riverside, some form of scholarship at Davis, ~full ride at ASU due to National Merit/Achievement</p>

<p>Stats:[ul]
[<em>] SAT: 2320
[</em>] SAT IIs: 780 Bio M, 730 Lit, 720 Math 2
[<em>] ACT: 32
[</em>] GPA: 3.78 UW, 4.200\ W
[<em>] Rank: 24/390
[</em>] Ap Courses: Bio, US History, Calc AB/BC, English Lit
[<em>] Other stats: 228 PSAT
[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[</em>] Essays: I not a great writer, but I did take some time on mine.
[<em>] Teacher Recs: great/good hopefully, I never read them
[</em>] Counselor Rec: good hopefully
[<em>] Hook (if any): um yeah, were all URM!
[/ul]Location/Person:[ul]
[</em>] State or Country: CA
[<em>] School Type: Public, ~1600 students
[</em>] Gender: M
[<em>] major strength/weakness: Strengths: Scores, GPA. Weaknesses: ECs
[</em>] why you think you were accepted/rejected/defered where you were: URM+Scores probably
[<em>] significant awards/recongitions: National Merit Finalist, National Achievement Scholar
[</em>] summer activities: Summer School (Economics, PE, Computers)
[/ul]Other Factors: My parents were african immigrants, so I'm first-gen. I regret not writing more about my heritage in my essays, but I didn't want it to seem like I was driving the race car lol. The college process was somewhat stressful for me, so I'm just glad to get into some schools that I'm excited about. Good luck future applicants!</p>

<p>Mwahahahaha, race car. That's classic.</p>

<p>Holy crap... accepted to Northwestern University!!!!!!!!!</p>

<p>Accepted to UVa, officially!</p>

<p>accepted at Cornell</p>

<p>Wait, how do you know so early?</p>

<p>HeartArt- Thank you so much! My parents are happy and they just want me to be happy, but I don't think I can pass it up. I'll wait for my 7 other admissions decisions but I have a deep feeling I'm meant to be at Bryn Mawr.</p>