Admission Decision to Chemical Engineering

I applied at the end of the first notification period after running through some issues with their Connections Program. I have not received an admission decision to the College of Engineering (Chemical Engineering) yet and fear being wait listed. Madison is my top choice but I have been accepted to MSOE.

3.8 UW GPA
26 ACT Composite (Top score was a 27 in science)
ACT Writing: 8
Top 15% of my class
4 years swim team (Team Captain, voted Most Dedicated and MVP)
Art Club
Spanish Club
Swim Club
4 Years Spanish, went to Spain
Cashier at a local grocery store (2012- Present)
Attended many engineering and leadership programs: Camp Badger (At Madison, although this was in Middle School), Summer Academy in Applied Science and Technology at the University of Pennsylvania, Hugh O’Brien Youth Leadership Program, Engineering Tomorrow’s Careers Camp at UW- Madison

My essay focused on the importance of my swim team and the impact competitive swimming has had on my life. I am aware my ACT scores are low for Madison, which is why I hope the programs I attended would give me a boost. I also had a letter of recommendation written by my swim coach.

Any input is much appreciated!

Hmm, your ACT seems to be the only weakness here, as it is on the lower end for UW Madison. Apart from that you have a pretty balanced application.

Are you in state? If so, I feel that you’ll be accepted. If not, I’d call it a 50% chance.

Yes I am in state. Thanks!

Also depends on the rigor of the course work.

Are you in AP Calc? Does your school offer AP classes?

You do not get admitted directly to any school/college at UW. You get admitted to the university as a whole, regardless of your proposed (if any) major. Once you are at UW your college record determines your admission to any major, based on the criteria the individual school/college/major has. There are a very few direct admissions to the Business School, but again, those people need to be admitted to UW as a whole first. Those few selected for business will have outstanding credentials and of course would be admitted regardless of their proposed majors.

My school does not offer AP classes but the college credit classes I am in are Speech, Chemistry, and Precalc.

Thanks wis75, I didn’t know that actually. So it doesn’t matter that I selected Chemical Engineering as my preferred major? I’m not too worried about that though. As long as I am accepted to UW.

Correct, choice of proposed major makes no difference in admissions to UW.

Accepted!