Admission to Neeley

My son was accepted to TCU last week and while we are waiting for a couple more schools, TCU is currently in the lead.

He would be going in as pre business, how hard is it to get admitted to Neeley in your sophomore year? Is it just a matter of keeping the minimum GPA and meeting all their requirements or is it more competitive than that?

1 Like

If you meet the GPA and the requirements, you are admitted to Neeley. The course work is challenging so it still requires effort etc…

1 Like

Thank you!

TCU’s catalog says Neeley admission is competitive and not guaranteed (my bolding).

Students entering TCU as pre-business majors must complete a minimum of 24 credit hours in the first year at TCU and have a minimum 2.75 GPA in order to continue as pre-business students beyond the first year. In addition, pre-business students must complete the following courses in the first year: BUSI 10153; BUSI 10151, ECON 10223, ECON 10233; ENGL 10803; MATH 10283; or MATH 10524; one TCU Core Curriculum requirement; or others as recommended by an adviser. To declare a business major, all students must formally apply to the Neeley School. Students will typically apply in their sophomore year for admission to upper-level courses in their junior year. Admission is competitive and not guaranteed. Upon acceptance, students will select from one of the functional area majors.

https://tcu.smartcatalogiq.com/en/current/Undergraduate-Catalog/Neeley-School-of-Business/Business-Program-of-Study/Neeley-School-Academic-Policies

Yes, I read that. But sometimes what is written and what actually happens are two different things, so just thought I’d ask.

Thanks for info though!

1 Like

That is not what they said at my freshman orientation this past summer. They said if you successfully complete all the requirements including GPA then you should be admitted.

1 Like

Does Neely have any direct-admit options? Some posters in CC allege the kid got into Neeley direct-admit?

They were probably referring to the “pre-business” major. Formal admission to Neeley does not occur until later. It is a little confusing and the distinction seems a bit unnecessary, though my understanding is that the proportion of serious students increases from freshman to jr/sr yr, if that makes any sense.

From what I have heard, internal transfer from other majors is not difficult as long as the student meets the requirements. There are certain classes that should be taken before applying for internal transfer; see this page TCU BBA Program - Neeley School of Business. It may not be 100% automatic, but it’s close, and doesn’t seem risky unless the student doesn’t make the GPA cutoff for whatever reasons.

1 Like

Do you happen to know if the minimum GPA of 2.75 is for each course or overall cumulative GPA? I’m assuming cumulative since there is no letter grade associated with a 2.75. Wondering if there is a minimum grade for each course.

Essentially the 2.75 is the cumulative first year college GPA needed to continue as “pre-business,” but by the time a student applies to be a specific major in Neeley (ie Accounting, Finance, etc) they must have a minimum 2.98 GPA (3.0 to be considered competitive). So improvement as the years go on is expected. As a university policy, no more than 2 C+ or lower grades may be used towards degree requirements.

I have a friend whose son is transferring from a top 50 university and is interested in Neeley. Any idea what the GPA requirements are for transfer? He would be a junior in the fall.

Thanks, makes sense.

" External transfers. The TCU Office of Admission makes the decisions on all transfer applicants. Students seeking to transfer to TCU from another institution should indicate business as their primary area of interest on the admission application. To be considered for admission as pre-business transfer students from a four-year university, students should have at least a 3.0 transfer GPA. Community college transfer applicants should have a minimum 3.25 transfer GPA to be considered. Transfer students admitted as pre-business must meet additional requirements to advance to upper-division courses."

1 Like