Admissions to Marine Science

<p>My S is a junior, definitely oriented towards math/science. UM is definitely on his radar. Obviously the school has a great Marine Science program. S could go in that direction, but he also might go in the straight science or engineering direction.</p>

<p>I'm assuming that when he applies he'll have to apply to one of the specific schools, i.e., College of Engineering vs School of Marine and Atmospheric Science vs College of Arts and Sciences (if he does Biochemistry). Does anyone know whether it's more competitive to get into the School of Marine Science vs the other options? Any take on whether there's more (or less) merit money associated with the different schools, or whether the criteria for getting merit money varies from school to school?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>The way it works is that you apply to the University, and if you’re admitted to the university you’re basically automatically admitted to whatever program you choose. Then you can add or change majors pretty easily once you get to school if you’re not happy with the program you’ve chosen. I don’t think there’s more/less merit money given based on school selection, but in my experience, the Marine Science program contains a lot of the high-scholarship students because it’s a very intensive program that attracts a lot of very bright students.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>At many of the colleges that S is looking at, when you apply you have to apply to a specific school/college within the university. I guess that’s not the case at Miami. It will certainly become clear as he goes through the application. Thanks.</p>

<p>My son had a similar dilemma/interest regarding Marine Science and a hard science. What attracted him to Miami was not only the world renown RSMAS (the fact that it is truly a rigorous and comprehensive undergraduate Marine program) but that he could also double or even triple major depending on AP credits and receiving Foote Fellow. In the end he did receive Foote Fellow (which enables him to skip GenEd requirements and he has enough credits to basically enter as a sophomore which allows him to study for a full degree in Chemistry and Marine Science. Making him more marketable for grad school and internships etc. Good luck with your son’s selection process !</p>

<p>My 100th post!! Do I get a toaster or something??</p>

<p>Biocellular,</p>

<p>Thanks. Have seen mention of the Foote Fellowship on other threads. Per the UM site, it’s the ?top 5% of admitted freshman. I think it’s a great idea, and holds a great advantage. Problem for S is that he goes to a very competitive private HS that doesn’t offer a lot of designated honors or AP courses (‘all our classes are honors’), and his GPA is not so high by comparison to a lot of top kids – maybe 3.4uw, 3.7w. SAT’s aren’t bad, 1480/1600 on first go-around without prep, will re-take in the fall. Do you have any sense as to whether he’d qualify as a Foote?</p>

<p>I always thought you had to apply to a specific school at UM. What I thought was that the did not cap the number of students that applied to each school… My son applied to the school of Engineering and my niece to the school of Arts and Science and were admitted each to their school of choice.</p>

<p>I believe what Marinebio 444 said is true. I spoke to the Dean about it. My son is interested in Marine Science but is admitted to the College of Arts and Sciences. I think he will take the first year courses that RSMAS suggests and see if he likes them. He was told being admitted to RSMAS would not be a problem.</p>

<p>Thank you for the info</p>