Advice for Freshman Housing?

Hi there, I have applied to UW-Madison and it is one of my top choice schools. I would appreciate some advice about freshman housing.

I’m aware that freshmen can choose between private and public dorms. Being an out of state student (Texas) who knows absolutely nobody on campus, I want to be in a living environment that would allow me to meet people and make friends. Also, I plan on participating in Greek rush and hopefully pledging a fraternity.

Given all of that, where would you recommend that I try to live? Are there certain public or private dorms that would be good for me?

I recommend UW residential housing (public dorms) over private doors.

The fraternities are mostly on Langdon Street so Chadbourne, Sellery and Witte are the closest to Langdon.

OOS parent of student in greek life at UW – I would definitely agree that living in UW dorms is preferable for freshman year. You meet tons of people, from everywhere, and you pay a reduced rate (subsidized) for food at UW dining halls. If you want to be near "the action,’ most people say look at the southeast neighborhood. In Southeast, with Witte and Sellery, there are 2000 freshman living next door to Gordon’s dining center and a few blocks from State St. For a student involved in greek life rush, it is closer to walk from the houses on Langdon St back to southeast neighborhood dorms than it is to walk to Lakeshore, but plenty of freshman in Lakeshore do it.

Did you know that Greek life is only important to the around 10% interested in it at UW? I agree with the above about choosing Res Halls for meeting a wide variety of UW students. Most incoming freshmen will be meeting new friends regardless of how many HS classmates attend UW (it is possible to never see those from HS again). Southeast dorms sound like your area of choice with your interests. No matter where you live you will meet people and make friends.

I am an OOS that knew virtually nobody coming here.

I would HIGHLY recommend Witte or Sellery. I am a freshman living in Lakeshore this year, and it is somewhat difficult to get to know a lot of people. This can be different depending on your luck, but I really dislike the gender segregated floors in Kronshage, and people in my dorm tend not to leave doors open. That said, I have still made a couple good friends around here. The actual location of Lakeshore hasn’t been a big deal to me as I’ve grown used to walking, but the atmosphere here is very different than in the larger freshman dorms.

I will be rushing next semester – the guys I know that have done it are having a great time. As a freshman guy, it is hard to find places to go out because many parties are somewhat exclusive. Other options if Greek Life isn’t your thing is to join highly involved clubs (Ski Team, Sailing Team, Club Sports) or Performing Arts (Dance team, Acapella). As a guy trying to find places to go at night, joining one of these options or Greek Life is really the best way to meet a group of people you can consistently go out with.

Genders by floor or wing depend on the building’s construction. Kronshage houses are 3 floors with one bathroom per floor- hence that type of room assignment. There are tradeoffs in every dorm.