Advice on Ft Worth

<p>My daughter is scheduled for a campus visit over spring break. We are from out of state, know nothing about the area and I was hoping to get some insight as to what attractions there are to see in the Ft Worth area. She is also going to visit SMU, but I would prefer to keep FW as the focus. Are there any parks or nature areas nearby etc? I realize that she would spend most of her time on the campus if accepted/attends, but we both feel like it is important to get a feel for the surrounding area including parks, restaurants, theaters, malls etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.</p>

<p>We stayed in a downtown Fort Worth hotel (vs. one right near campus) and it was great because we could walk around Sundance Square, eat at some fun restaurants, etc. We visited the Stockyards (kind of hokey/touristy but fun) and poked around the cultural district downtown. We really enjoyed our day and night there. We went to an amazing Sunday breakfast place (a small cafe with great food) but I can’t remember the name. It was catty-corner from the Worthington Hotel. If I can find the name, I’ll let you know.</p>

<p>We are going to Experience TCU on March 25 and the Honors night the 24th. We are staying at the Courtyard right near campus for 2 reasons. This is the first time we are staying near TCU- stayed in Dallas the last time- and want to be close to campus to get to the activities quicker. Also, if my daughter needs to be there longer than I do, I can go back to the hotel!
It is right near a major interstate- convenient- and we got a great deal there! For a longer stay, I think I would pick downtown.</p>

<p>Ft Worth Zoo that is rated in the top 5 in the USA.
There are 5 world class museums in the Cultural District: The Kimbell, The Modern, Museum of Science & History, Amon Carter Museum of American Art, and the Cowgirl Hall of Fame. The Modern & The Kimbell are designed by world famous architects - actually I think all 5 are designed by world famous architects.
There is an Omni theater inside the Museum of Science & History.
Always something going on at the Will Rogers Coliseum - usually Horse related…
Bass Hall Performing Arts Center is beautiful to see - not sure what is going on there now - live thetere entertainment.
The Ft Worth Botanical gardens are beautiful to walk in and the Japanese Garden inside the Botanical Gardens are simply beautiful.<br>
Downtown Ft.Worth in Sundance Square is a nice place to spend the evenings. Night life and good places to eat. Nicely decorated for night with lights in the trees.
The Stockyards - though thought of by devilbear as hokey are exactly how old “cowtown” was back in the day - and fun to see
All of these things are not far from each other - nor are they far from TCU.
Eat at Uncle Julio’s off I30 and Camp Bowie Blvd for some of the best Mexican food around. Yum-o… have a margarita swirl - you will not be disapointed.</p>

<p>sakmd11,</p>

<p>We did the same visit with daughter last Feb 10/11. I think you’ll find plenty to do in your free time with minimal research online, and the suggestions made above. </p>

<p>I will add that, if the offerings/agenda are the same during your all-day event as they were for ours, you’ll have a bus tour option. We opted for the bus tour that went into downtown Ft. Worth. During the tour, two students provided the rundown on all the off-campus activities and places that draw TCU students. There are quite a few.</p>

<p>It turns out that this aspect of the trip is what sticks in our daughter’s mind as a big plus (one of many) for TCU. She really likes the idea of a student lifestyle that can effortlessly extend off campus to other places and events. She wants to be part of a surrounding city and community and not just stuck in a campus “bubble”. She’s worried about the isolation bubble in Waco, College Station and, oddly enough, San Antonio as Trinity has virtually nothing walkable from the campus.</p>

<p>Of course this is just the opinion of one girl, but I think she has a point. TCU students, should they so choose, have an impressive array of activities and non-TCU interests/destinations to explore during their 4 years in Ft. Worth such that, at the end of 4+ years, a TCU grad can feel that they’ve actually “lived in” Ft. Worth rather than have just “attended college in” Ft. Worth.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. It will definitely help us get a feel for the area instead of just floundering around.</p>

<p>Klparker gave a great list. Definetely walk around downtown in the evening to get a good feel for the atmosphere. There are some great restaurants on 7th Street and University Drive. Try Blue Sushi (its not just sushi) which has a great evening vibe. Also for a lunch buffet try Terra Mediterranean Grill on Crockett St off of 7th. There is a nice theater called Movie Tavern at West 7th.</p>

<p>Close to TCU is a nice residential park (Overton Park off of Bellaire Dr.) for running/jogging/biking.</p>

<p>My mom is from Fort Worth so I’ve been going there all my life. Definitely try to see the zoo if that’s your sort of thing; it’s a fantastic zoo. Also the Kimbell and the Museum of Science and History is fantastic. Also, there are rodeos every Friday night down at the Stockyards which is always enjoyable. </p>

<p>For food, definitely try to go to Old South Pancake House on University down the street from TCU. It is fantastic. Another favorite is Joe T. Garcia’s, which is a Fort Worth staple. Other good Mexican food is the Original on Camp Bowie, and also Mexican Inn, which I believe is on Camp Bowie. Also on Camp Bowie is Kinkaid’s burgers, which is just fantastic. </p>

<p>If you have the chance, you could also head to the duck pond. There’s also a great trail along the Trinity River if you’re into that sort of thing. Fort Worth is a great place and I’m sure you’ll have a good time on your visit.</p>

<p>If you are looking for housing, you may want to select the GrandMarc. It is privately owned but as a TCU student you can live there and fulfill your on housing requirement. It is not just a box dorm room but a furnished apartment with lots to do, gym, internet cafe (big hangout), movie theater, pool, hot tub, and lots of “get to know your neighbor” type of activities. I encourage you to take a look. It is a lot of fun and way more fun that living on campus. More privacy.</p>