Advice on possible transfer from University of Iowa to University of Wisconsin?

<p>I've been having stress dreams all week...I'm not very happy with the overall vibe from The University of Iowa for many reasons. I enjoy a good party, but there seems to be an overall feeling that partying is more important than studying here. There is also a lack of diversity, not only racially, but in types of people (mindsets, style, etc). And although I enjoy my classes, I do not feel quite as challenged as I would like. </p>

<p>I am conflicted about whether to transfer schools or not though because it seems so difficult to start all over. I usually make friends easily, but I have yet to find a social circle here at UI. Therefore I'm worried that by going to University of Wisconsin, for example, and living in the dorms again would be a repeat of UI; the only difference being UW's great reputation and college town. My brother and friend also go to UW and love it, and my parents would love for me to go there. I would too if I felt confident I would feel comfortable there. Is the vibe at UW very different from UI? Is being a transfer student in the dorms difficult? </p>

<p>I am also considering smaller schools such as Grinnell, but that would be an even bigger risk because although a small school may be perfect for me, I cannot imagine being at such a small school when I'm at UI right now. </p>

<p>I'd appreciate all comments on transferring advice both academically and socially. This is a very stressful time because everyone is figuring out housing now, and I want to decide what I'm doing next year so I can make housing plans asap. </p>

<p>I got a 28 act, and ended high school with a weighted gpa of 4.0. I'm an International Studies (emphasis on environmental policy), Cinema Production minor. I will probably end up with a 3.8 this semester.</p>

<p>Do apply to UW- you are likely to be accepted and the atmosphere is different in Madison. Known to be liberal. Do not worry about the dorms. Your social circle will evolve from those you meet in classes and your activities. There is a transfer student dorm if next fall is your entry date. Having people you know already at UW will help. Also- there will never be the same transition from being a HS student to being a college student or being new to the U.S. again- you won’t be starting from the point you left home but will have a lot of knowledge that will transfer. Go for it!</p>

<p>I am most definitely on the fence here. Myself, my wife & D1 are Iowa grads, and D2 is a senior at UW-Madison. How 'bout that?</p>

<p>35 years ago, The University of Iowa was cool & counterculture, and I enjoyed the heck out of being a writer taking Writer’s Workshop classes & being in the Journalism school at the same time. Yin & yang. Racially, it was homogeneous but in my little nook there were a lot of kids from the East Coast that wanted to be writers, so I never felt that sameness.</p>

<p>Fast forward to my D1 attending & graduating a few years ago. A gregarious sort, she loved the University of Iowa, embraced the Greek system, and made lifelong friends during her stay in Iowa City. Absolutely no complaints from an academic standpoint either–it put her on a great track for med school. </p>

<p>D2 was also accepted to Iowa, and it was her #2 choice. She got the Scholar’s Award for a few thousand a year, and had she got the Old Gold Scholarship it would’ve made Iowa a great value indeed. But from the time she visited Madison in a blizzard, she was hooked. She is not the outgoing, collegial, go-along type her sister was, not a partier by any stretch, and is decidedly more liberally-minded. And even though UW-Madison has been ranked as a perennial Top Ten party school, we were told that each can find his/her own niche in Madison. And so she has. A more expensive choice than Iowa, but in the end, the right one.</p>

<p>As much as I have a great affinity for Iowa City & its environs, I could see how it can be perceived as a bubble of sorts & how in certain departments one would not feel challenged. Might as well take a shot at a transfer to UW-Madison for a new start. However, you still will have to make it happen yourself, certainly from a social standpoint. There are tons of activities to get involved with, and from there, the friendships. Good luck to you.</p>

<p>I am a current UI student and I am planning to transfer to Madison in the Fall (fingers crossed!) for the EXACT same reasons as you…I’m sick of being surrounded by people who don’t care about school and who ruin the quality of my experience here. I don’t know how bothered you are by the UI atmosphere, but for me it is an easy decision. I do have fond memories of Iowa, but unfortunately the cons outweigh the pros. My response is a little late, but I wish you the best of luck in deciding what to do. My advice is to trust yourself, regardless of others’ opinions and advice. What feels right to YOU?
PS- at Iowa, you should still have signed up for housing and classes as if you were staying here next year. If you do end up transferring, your housing plan/meal plan will be canceled and you will just need to cancel your registration to classes you signed up for on ISIS (this ensures your spot in the classes can be filled by other students, and that you are not charged for classes you don’t end up taking).</p>