Transfering to UW-Madison

<p>Hey everybody, I've been looking around here for a while but this is my first time posting. Long story short, my HS GPA is pretty bad (2.4), and while I was accepted to a few state schools (Southern Illinois and Western Illinois) I really feel I can do better. So I'm deciding to do 2 years at CC. Freshman and Sophmore year were really bad academic wise, I was diagnosed with a minor learning disability, but junior year I improved and got a 2.8, and am now getting a 3.5. So my main question is, how hard is it to transfer to UW-M? If I kept a 3.5 at CC, would I have a solid chance of getting in?</p>

<p>Roco,
I am in a similar position as you. I am from Minnesota and did not do so hot in high school. I got a 3.4 GPA, which at my high school was good because it is competitive and is one of the best high schools in the state. From there, I went to a community college and got my AA degree, with an overall GPA of 3.4. I then spent fall semester at the University of Wisconsin, River Falls, earning a 3.4 GPA there, as well. Seems to be a recurring theme, huh? After fall semester, I applied to UW-Madison, hoping to get in as a transfer student. My application is complete as of January 13th and is currently "being reviewed by an admissions counselor." I will let you know if I get admitted or not. I am anxiously awaiting...A couple of things worth noting:
*First generation college student.
*A couple of extracurricular activitiesin high school and college.
*Part time job since 11th grade.
*Have volunteered a few times in the last few years.</p>

<p>Word, hope all goes well for you.</p>

<p>Any other input?</p>

<p>Get above a 3.5 at a community college and you have a good chance at transferring to a good school, but when you're transferring you need to apply to more than just UW-Madison - nothing's a guarantee, so apply as a transfer to a few safety schools as well.
Another thing I'll add is that there would be nothing wrong with starting at southern IL or western IL with the intention of transferring. A 3.5 there would look just as good as a 3.5 from a community college, but you would be able to have the normal "college experience" as a freshmen i.e. moving away and living in dorms, making new friends, etc. (that's assuming that these schools are not commuter/suitcase schools).</p>

<p>Yeah, I really would like to attend one of them and just transfer out eventually, but it's doubtful that my parents would be able to afford it(my Dad was laid off back in October)</p>

<p>Keep in mind that here UW-M means Milwaukee, UW alone means the Madison campus.</p>