<li>Columbia College</li>
<li>Boston University</li>
<li>Northeastern University</li>
<li>NYU</li>
<li>SUNY Stony Brook</li>
<li>Pace University</li>
</ol>

<p>&&&& Did you visit and/or are you attending?</p>

<p>well, I didn’t visit most of those schools, but I see you have stony brook on your list, </p>

<p>I find that stonybrook really caters to people dedicated to math and science, especially since the hospital is right on campus. it’s really huge since it’s a public school, but it definitely lives up to it’s high rank as one of the best public colleges in the country, since everyone seems to come out of there loving it. a lot of teachers in my school went there, and this year in pre-calc my teacher talked about the benefits of going to stony-brook almost every other day lol. when I went to stony brook(I went there freshman yr for a bio trip/lab), I liked it, the campus was cool, and all the students and professors seemed
really nice. the only problem I ever hear in terms of stony brook is the fact that it’s in the middle of nowhere, it’s basically an hour and 45 minute drive from the city ( on a good day that is). but I think the school tries to relieve the pain of not being closer to the city by having a lot of school sponsored activities on campus, which is enough for some people.</p>

<p>however, although it’s a great school and I’m applying there it’s definitely at the bottom of my list because I don’t want to stay in NY lol it really is a great school though…</p>

<p>thanks! ya I kinda have those concerns too about being in the middle of nowhere and stuff. I put it there as a safety for my counselor haha</p>

<p>Any others takers?</p>

<p>The only one that I ever visited was Stony Brook. A big red flag that raised in my mind was when I found out that Stony Brook is a HUGE commuter school with absolutely NO school spirit in any sense of the word. Many of the professors [15% est.] speak broken english because they come from like other countries I guess… and the social life there is pretty damn bad. If you are going to be a commuter and want to go to a great school for math/science, there is really no better place. If you want to live on campus, NO WAY. Unless you like being alone for an entire weekend.</p>

<p>Well… I know that Pace + NYU are in the city. That’s about it for the rest of them. Oh yeah, Columbia’s surrounding area is reaalllllllly shady [it’s in Harlem], so just keep a carefult eye out at night. =]</p>

<p>yup, it’s definitely a safety for me too, I REALLY hope it doesn’t come down to me having no other choice than stony brook. one of my other teachers seemed to be rather insulted when I called stony brook a safety school ( it’s her alma mater) but whatever, I’m really serious about leaving new york, I’ll only consider staying if</p>

<p>1.I get into columbia(which I’m not even that crazy about either)
2.all other schools reject me and I have to go to stony brook lol</p>

<p>a lot of people don’t get why I would say that, considering that some of the SUNY’s are the best public colleges in the country( stony brook, geneseo, and binghampton), but I don’t care lol, all three schools are in the middle of nowhere, and I personally would like to experience life outside NY lol</p>

<p>“a lot of people don’t get why I would say that, considering that some of the SUNY’s are the best public colleges in the country( stony brook, geneseo, and binghampton, but I don’t care lol, all three schools are in the middle of nowhere,”</p>

<p>^^^^totally agree haha. isn’t it sad, I’m praying and hoping I don’t have to go to my safety school. aren’t you supposed to really like your safety school? lmao</p>

<p>Yea but a lot of the safeties are good schools that no one wants to go to, therefore they have higher acceptance rates which makes them safeties for most people. It’s like a circle. I think my safety is Rutgers (New Brunswick) and it’s a good school but I don’t wanna go there-it’s not like i’d be ecstatic to go.</p>

<p>anyone else have experiences at the above listed colleges? so far we have a lot opinions about stony brook…lmao</p>

<p>bump 10char.</p>

<p>Well i felt Columbia was a lil intense when i visited but i loved the Core curriculum where you read a book a week, which is a bit much. The campus was nice but the dorms absolutely suck IMO. I liked the feel of it tho but it’s not my first choice.</p>

<p>bump 10char</p>

<p>bump 10 char</p>

<p>Frankly, there are too many Black New Yorkers at Columbia/Columbia College. Black students from New York tend to take Columbia and NYC for granted, while Blacks whom apply to Columbia from across the country really are motivated to study, live in and enjoy New York City. Columbia is a fantastic experience for African-Americans looking to broaden their horizons in the classroom and in the community. The expansion of the campus further into West Harlem will only make it more positive. Any of you whom are cautious about Columbia and Morningside Heights/Harlem because of concerns of neighborhood safety haven’t been to the campus or have grossly outdated impressions. It’s highly desireable and you probably wouldn’t be able to afford to live there now if you don’t have a university apartment of dorm room.</p>