African American High-income Female Aiming for Ivy League [High stat, PA resident, chemistry/biology]

I don’t think there is evidence for this, and I’ve heard some AOs directly say they don’t make this assumption…many students do not take their AP tests for any number of reasons, including the relatively high cost per test.

It’s hard to advise OP what to do with her AP test scores, as we can’t see the whole app. Knowing what I do so far, I would likely recommend reporting the 4s and 5s to highly rejective schools but all counselors would definitely not agree with that.

1 Like

This is not true. Not every kid takes every AP test. Plus, an AO can assume all he or she wants. They can’t make a judgement on something that is neither required nor submitted.

It is better to submit no score than a low score. 5s are good; reasonable people can disagree on the value of a 4 to top schools in an application of your caliber; and 3s are unquestionably not beneficial to you in admissions given that all other areas of your application are stronger.

4 Likes

There are many students who don’t submit AP scores with their applications…and only do so once they are accepted if they want AP credit from their college.

6 Likes

But why would those students reveal some AP scores but not others? Is there another explanation?

AOs don’t know whether or not the student took the test in the first place.

1 Like

But they know what AP courses the student took.

The student may have just not taken the test for the scores they didn’t report. It’s relatively few schools that even consider AP test scores in the admission decision making process.

For the school that do look at AP scores, wouldn’t their AOs wonder why the student elect to take and report some AP exams but not the others (especially the others are the ones that were more likely to result in lower scores)?

No…some AP tests are on the same days and/or at the same time, and students have to choose. Some might have a final test or project in another class at the same time as an AP test. And the cost is a huge access issue.

AOs read apps in 6 minutes. They don’t have time to make assumptions about AP test scores, or ACT/SAT scores. They are looking for reasons to admit students, not reasons to not accept them.

2 Likes

I don’t understand what you are continuing to ask.

Many kids will take 5/6/7 AP courses in a year, for instance, but elect to only take some of the tests. They do this for a variety of reasons — money, the time needed to study for each, and more. AOs don’t know if the kids didn’t take the test or if the score was something other than a 5.

4 Likes

AOs presumably know which AP exams conflict with each other. If an AP class is offered by the school (i.e. not taken elsewhere), wouldn’t the school make sure the students can take the exam? Cost may be an issue, but it should affect all exams, not just a few selective exams.

I doubt it. They aren’t going to cross reference the schedule with an applicant’s courses. There’s just not time in a 6 minute read to do this. I also have never heard an AO said they give any thought to this, at all…but I have often heard the opposite, that they don’t have time to make assumptions.

Not sure what you mean about the school making sure students can take the exam…sure some schools pay for students to take some or all tests (so that can affect only a portion of the tests, say the school pays for 3 and the student has 5 APs, and I have specifically seen that with some of my students), or they might let a student with a conflict with another class reschedule things…but that might not work if it’s a group project final or a lab. There are just so many moving parts.

Ok, let’s stay focused on the OP’s larger question, but the answer to your questions is NO!

Some schools may offer 30 AP courses. Some tests are going to conflict.

Some schools requires students to take the exams, but many don’t.

And NO, finances won’t affect all tests universally. A parent may be able to pay or a school may give a voucher for one test, so the student chooses to take the test in the class in which he or she is most confident. He doesn’t take the others.

Your arguments do not hold up in real world examples, but if you would like to continue discussing, please start a separate post to do so.

2 Likes

Would you ask this question is if it was the grade? Top schools expect stellar academic performance across the board. I think your plan to not submit 3s is a sound one. As for whether or not they will hold it against you for not submitting, that is beyond your control.

3 Likes

I agree. Plus the UCs don’t use the Common App. The UC application will take a lot of time and effort for one school.

With all of your other EC activities, have you received any awards that are not from your school or TSA?

Yes, but since I am only a junior I will receive (hopefully) more before the time I apply to college this fall

I think my kids just submitted 4’s and 5’s, at our school the tests are mandatory, I wonder if the colleges were aware of this?

I expect the school profile mentions that fact. Does your school pay for the required tests?

Please move on from debating AP scores.

No, and if they don’t get your check by the second week of school the student is removed from the class. This change was made when #3 entered HS, 8 years ago, so I’m sure there are some current students who don’t realize other schools are test optional when deciding whether or not go submit scores.