African American High-income Female Aiming for Ivy League [High stat, PA resident, chemistry/biology]

The DP article can be simply summed up as the school is planning to use proxies for race. This too will be challenged and banned. The top x% from every school in the state approach has worked for some public flagships, but of course wont work for the private schools.

1 Like

Maybe, but that will take another decade, and who knows the makeup of SCOTUS at that point. Meanwhile, partnerships with college access organizations like Questbridge, College Possible and the 1,000s of others will increase. There are likely to be many legal ways for schools that want to maintain/increase their schoolā€™s diversity to do so (assuming this Juneā€™s SCOTUS decision goes against Harvard).

Pell Grant eligibility is a good marker for diversity, and therefore income likely to supplement race as a hook. This could make op unhooked but perhaps not, next admission cycle likely to be as unpredictable if not more than the last two due to the Supreme Court decision.

That doesnā€™t help need blind schools (which is most schools) because they have no visibility to who is pell grant eligible when making admission decisions. There are many pell grant eligible White students too.

Looking at zip code/block and/or using CollegeBoardā€™s Landscape database/reports can help identify pell grant eligible students. As I mentioned above, schools can also partner with college access orgs that serve only pell grant eligible students.

zip code/block helps but is not useful in more dense and diverse parts of the country.

My zip code includes a few public housing projects, several mixed buildings which have both market rate and subsidized apartments, suburban style condo developments (town houses) and single family homes which range from starter types to 5 bedroom/pool out back. One zip code.

Similar to where I grew up btwā€¦ sort of a coincidenceā€¦

Agreed, thatā€™s when they have to use a more granular database, many of those exist, including CBā€™s Landscape offering and US Census tract data.

I believe that most colleges have proxies for this information. Also how need blind is handled might change, families arenā€™t going to complain if need becomes a positive, the policy just prevents it from being a negative.

Deleted sorry

Do you think National Recognition Programs will go away? What happens when a student lists that award?

Those are good questions. I donā€™t know how the race blind and test blind UCs handle this when someone lists NMF or National Hispanic scholar, etc.

Maybe someone will chime inā€¦@gumbymom? @ucbalumnus?

I know UC canā€™t take these things into account, but OTOH an AO canā€™t unsee those awards, activities etc that give away race or test scores.

I think they go away as college board likely stops asking questions about race/ethnicity.

1 Like

We arenā€™t talking about the CB? We are talking about college applications and the many places race, ethnicity, gender, religion can be shared. Examples:

• In the awards like NMF and National Hispanic Scholar that are based on having a high test score (these arenā€™t CB awards, and these awards arenā€™t going away).

• In awards and activities that would make obvious oneā€™s race or ethnicity, or gender identity or whatever.

I will strongly encourage my URM students to share their race in all their essays going forward (assuming Harvard loses the case this June), as many do now in their UC essays.

4 Likes

Reminder to all that this is a chance me thread, not a discussion about race in college admission which only happens in one thread.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.