African-American HS Class of 2020

D20 was accepted to Middlebury today. Probably will come down to Middlebury or Richmond. Virtually identical financial packages.

@GarnetTide - Great News, and so exciting Congratulations @GarnetTide D20. Is this the end of the decisions for your daughter?

Two more to go but I suspect Middlebury and Richmond are her two favorites. Itā€™s been a long process but she finally cracked a smile!

Update: Richmond was a rejection. Half disappointed, half relieved the wait is over. Kind of makes me feel like Chapel Hill, Duke and Vanderbilt definitely wonā€™t work out. Off to make shepherds pie and binge watch Netflix. ? Iā€™ll be fine by tomorrow. Take care everyone.

[quote=ā€œSatanFlower69, post:324, topic:2063319ā€]

Update: Richmond was a rejection. Half disappointed, half relieved the wait is over. Kind of makes me feel like Chapel Hill, Duke and Vanderbilt definitely wonā€™t work out. Off to make shepherds pie and binge watch Netflix. ? Iā€™ll be fine by tomorrow. Take care everyone. [/quonte]

@SatanFlower69 - so sorry. Itā€™s not over yetā€¦DD was accepted to a school and rejected from a less competitive, you just never know. Shepherds pie sounds amazing.

Sis we wonā€™t give up yet. Letā€™s wait and see how this all unfolds. Sorry about UR.

Thank you both @Sarrip and @havingfunyet ? A good friend provided a much needed reality check. ā€œDude, are you really butt hurt over this? Did you not tell me college itself is the dream, not where you go? Take a look around you and be thankful. Not many of us make it this far.ā€

Plus, I was accepted to UCSC today! Which Iā€™d forgotten about applying to altogether. Application waiver covered four UCs and I only had three in mind at the time but didnā€™t want to waste an opportunity. Update emails have been sitting in a spam folder. Funny how life works. A school I mentally discarded has helped lift my spirits.

Time to focus on options vs. preference. ?

Time to focus on options vs. preference. ?

@SatanFlower69 - LOVE THIS!!! think Iā€™m going to use this with DD ?

The CC Banner says that Vandy will release on Thursday 3/26 @SatanFlower69.

@havingfunyet does that release date include transfers?

Hey @SatanFlower69, I saw your question and I think I found the answer to your Vanderbilt question in a Vanderbilt sanctioned website (see quote below). You may have a few more questions so I will attach that link as well. Good luck to you and congratulations on the UC Santa Cruz acceptance.

ā€œ March 15 is the priority deadline for transfer applications, and we will begin releasing decisions on a rolling basis in late-April.ā€

https://admissions.vanderbilt.edu/vandybloggers/2019/02/transfer-admissions-to-vanderbilt-what-you-should-know/

I wanted to ask a question for those on the thread who know their kidā€™s final choice or have a really good idea of what they want to do. How hard was the decision for your child?

I am asking because my son has been struggling to figure out what he wants to do between Morehouse and Howard. He decided to write computer code to help him. He created an algorithm that has his main factors for choosing a school. He told me he has a ā€œproprietaryā€ formula that gives his top factor more weight than the 2nd factor and so onā€¦ Howard came out on top when he put in his top 6 schools, and Morehouse came in 2nd, but when he updated Morehouse data to show himself receiving a full ride (another ~10K per year more than currently offered), Morehouse edges out Howard.

I donā€™t know if my son is slowly cracking up or whether he is on to something, but he is much more relaxed about his final decision. It is Howard, or it is Morehouse if they come with another ~10K before he commits to Howard because his algorithm has spoken. I can see this going up to the May 1st?

@ChangeTheGame - We are still up in the air with DD20 but with DS 09 it came down to the revisit which I know is not a possibility for your son. DS 09 said that he was 80% sure that he wanted to go to JHU. He had a 3 day visit planned followed by another 3 day visit the same week at Princeton. Once he arrived at JHU he called and said that he was now 90% sure that JHU was where he wanted to be. He came home and the next morning he drove to Princeton. . Didnā€™t hear from him much during the 3 days and actually didnā€™t see him as I was there one day for a parentā€™s reception. When he pulled into the driveway he had a Princeton decal in his rear window. Decision made. I think that with your son, they are neck and neck. He can be happy at either of them. Itā€™s a win win and sometimes that in itself is a difficult choice. Perhaps you will get an opportunity before May 1st to drive through the campuses even if you donā€™t have an opportunity to revisit/tour. Iā€™m excited for him. There are so many that would do anything to be in his shoes. Hopefully it will become clear to him. Good luck to him.

@Sarrip I really appreciate your thoughtful responses on this forum. @ChangeTheGame, congratulations to your son. He has two excellent choices. I am sure he will do very well wherever he lands.

@Sarrip, thank you for that detailed responseā€¦ We were supposed to go up to Howard tomorrow before the world changedā€¦ He has been to both campuses quite a few times (at least 5 times to Howard and more times than I can count to Morehouse) including to both schools Homecoming weekend and I think he really just likes both schools, but I have been sensing that he probably has a slightly better overall fit at Morehouse. But I can see him thinking about reuniting with his sister at Howard and having a shared experience. Since he is in a better place, I guess I will just have to be patient and wait for his final answerā€¦

I am not sure but looks like @ChangeTheGame figured it out. So grateful for this thread.

How is shelter in place going for everyone? Itā€™s actually been refreshing (since Iā€™m staying positive amid all the chaos). I put away winter clothes, washed 3 cars, cleaned baseboards, and reorganized my kitchen! Weā€™ve also been taking family walks which has been really nice!!!

DD received her final acceptance yesterday to Emory University. I havenā€™t had a chance to review the financial aid package, but I probably wonā€™t since we are Howard Bound.

This process was daunting one. Even though we started the process early and DD maintained a pristine transcript, I donā€™t think Iā€™d want to do it again. In fact, I hope my now toddler sons go to the major leagues :relaxed:

@ChangeTheGame Everyone seems to have their way of forming their pro/con list. I canā€™t wait to hear how this pans out. So excited to see our children have amazing opportunities. My sonā€™s FA from our stateā€™s flagship school came in yesterday, but he is not interested at allā€¦

Myself and my husband are working remotely from home so in one way we are living our best lives (LOL). Iā€™m not sure how I am going to be able to go back to the office when the time comes. Iā€™m a little concerned about the mindless eating and lack of movement and exercise so Iā€™m trying to move a little more.

DD20 is still home on spring break and will start virtual learning on April 6 and she is actually happy to be home even though sheā€™s sad about missing her Final Dance Performance, Senior Breakfast, Senior Awards, Cum Laude Ceremonies and of course Prom, all of which I have purchased outfits and shoes for.

I cleaned out my home office for her classroom as I have been using the dining room and living room to work out of. I have also cleaned window ledges, heating vents, put up mini blinds and gave Hubby a small honey do list :smile: .

DD20 did get awarded the Full tuition scholarship that she was a finalist for. Tonight we will see if any other options materialize however I am perfectly content with the options that we have.

I plan to utilize the @ChangeTheGame template in order to share with you guys when this is all over .

Just wanted to tell you guys, because this is a safe place:

Brown: Accepted
Yale: Accepted
Princeton: Accepted
Tufts: Accepted