African-American HS Class of 2022

My S22 has a 4.0 UW and 5.49 W from a majority white public school in Texas. He is ranked #15 in his class out of 525 students and has taken 9 APs/2 GT Advance courses in Humanities. His SAT super score is 1490 with a 790 in Math. He played basketball, football; ECs: (Robotics competition, volunteers hours, and tech jobs). His reach school is Stanford, but he seems to have a shot at MIT and Columbia after attending CE2 and MIT Wise. He applied REA to Stanford and has gotten into most of his public and flagship schools (UTexas, UKentucky, ASU, etc). Heā€™s aggressively applying to schools because merit or need-based scholarships will determine his future. Wants to study Aerospace, Aeronautical, or Chemical engineering. Definitely a math brain, STEM kid.

7 Likes

Where have you guys applied? Have you received any acceptance letters or merit scholarships? What are your first choice programs?

My son applied ED to NYUā€™s Steinhardt School, hoping to major in media, culture and communication and minor in sociology. He applied EA to Fordham. No news from either yet ā€“ I think they release decisions right around Dec. 15. We have no expectations of merit from the notoriously stingy NYU, but Fordham says most students who are in the National African-American Recognition Program receive some kind of merit award. Weā€™ll be a little disappointed if he ends up there, but paying a bit less.

2 Likes

Merit scholarships are not quite what I thought they would be, but every bit helps. We visited NYU and Columbia, heā€™s leaning more toward Columbia because of engineering. Good luck, keeping our fingers crossed for you!

2 Likes

Thanks, and same here!

1 Like

My DD applied SCEA to Princeton with EA apps to UT,UMich, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, U Pitt and Purdue, several of the UCs and USC (edited from earlier today typo) Sheā€™s planning on applying RD to MIT and Caltech. No acceptances yet as only 1 is rolling and sheā€™s OOS for the state schools, so no automatic accepts. Sheā€™s our only so I am beside myself with anxiety on how things will play out. I canā€™t imagine having to do this more than once. Applications for school were so much easier ā€œback in the dayā€. My daughter laughs when I tell her that I only applied to one college

5 Likes

I only applied to two, also :sweat_smile:.

Weā€™re at ā€œI donā€™t know how many applicationsā€ right now. My S22 has also applied to UCs (Berkley, UCLA, and San Diego) and he just submitted his USC three days ago. He always wanted to go to Caltech until he realized it was 1% black and about 900 or so students, but I told him to not discount it. So weā€™ll see. He also decided heā€™d rather go to UT over Michigan so we didnā€™t submit for the EA deadline. Keep us posted, and Iā€™ll have my fingers crossed for Princeton. If you hear anything from Georgia Tech let us know.

4 Likes

Will do! And good luck to you too! Yeah, Iā€™m not super sure about Caltech either, but we made a commitment to let her make the decision on where she goes. We are ā€œtaking a little break from the cold weather and snow of the Northeastā€ to visit UCLA, USC and Caltech later this week, though I really would prefer that she stay on this side of the country. Fingers crossed that she decides that she ā€œhates palm trees, beaches and warm weatherā€ hahaha.

4 Likes

We have a family tradition of very few college applications, which weā€™re hoping S22 can continue by not going beyond his two early applications. Our D19 applied to only one school, Parsons, as she was in the lucky position of having the most prestigious school in her field also be a safety for her. My wife applied only to Georgetown (where she went) and UMass; I applied only to Northwestern (where I went), BU and Syracuse. So far, no one in our nuclear family has ever received a rejection, deferral or waitlisting from a college. Hoping S22 keeps that going.

8 Likes

Thereā€™s no doubt that Caltech is a great school. But I know my daughter wants a larger student body. Thatā€™s the reason why she is steering away from the LACs, and to tell the truth I canā€™t blame her.

2 Likes

Exciting news: S22 received an email from Fordham saying heā€™s such an outstanding candidate that they wanted to let him know ahead of the general decision release that heā€™s been admitted. We were confident heā€™d get in there, but itā€™s still a relief to know for sure and a nice distinction that they let him know in advance. Still holding out for NYU ED, but this all makes us feel even better about Fordham if that doesnā€™t work out. So proud of him!

11 Likes

Good news for us yesterday,too. Though not her first choice, my daughter got her first acceptance from University of Pittsburgh for Engineering. They also gave her Guaranteed Admission to the Engineering Graduate School which is another bonus. Still awaiting her SCEA result (next week I think), as well as several other EAs higher on her list, but it sure is nice to have a positive response back!

15 Likes

My oldest child is a transgender male (recently changed gender to male) with a 3.85 UW GPA, Editor in chief of school newspaper from competitive public hs, amazing writer, been on national poetry panels, did an overseas internship at a newspaper, got honorable mention at a national Spanish test, does debate and went to states 2x, and likely has great recs. Also a letter from a Brown Prof who read their extensive writing and sent in a letter of rec.

What they donā€™t have is a super high SAT (1400) which they did not submit to Brown, Their weighted gpa is 4.9 b/c they took 5 ap classes and all honors for the rest except for science (school does not allow freshman and sophomores to take ap), but they only had one good AP test. They have a great essay and tons of other volunteer stuff. No sports.

Trying to decide how nervous to be about getting into Brown ED. What are the chances here? What about Swarthmore, Reed and Haverford?

4 Likes

Sorry, also an URM

Congratulations! Heā€™ll be able to enjoy his Christmas Break even more. Still keeping my fingers crossed for NYU but this is exciting news!

2 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

Wishing them the best of luck. Looks like decisions come out for Brown on Dec 16. I honestly think the school leans toward great writing (emphasis on essays) and their SAT is within range. Essays and ECs are definitely going to be more important than SAT scores in holistic review. Seems like they have some solid ECs that include national recognition. Chances are good but itā€™s hard to know anything for certain with these huge applicant pools.

Best of luck to those waiting on the Brown decisions. We didnā€™t go the ED route on Brown - weā€™ll hopefully go RD. And that depends on any decisions that come back favorably in the next week or so. I know some kids are knocking out a ton of applications, but sheā€™s slowed down somewhat and really not wanting to work through the essays.

1 Like

Congratulations! Nice to have one in the bag.

1 Like

My son got into NYU! Already took our family picture in the preordered swag. Weā€™re over the moon!

14 Likes