African-American HS Class of 2022

More challenging for a student who wants a more visible Black presence to not feel isolated. One definitely has to make an effort to seek out Black students at both campuses through BSUs, D9 organizations or Black-centric department organizations. I know that at UCSD in particular, relationships are built with San Diego State which has a larger Black population.

Participating in those early Black Admit events (I think they still do them?) is something I would highly recommend.

2 Likes

Thanks for your responseā€¦ā€¦ my daughter wanted a small school but the UCā€™s for in state applicants are a great value compared to other top private schools that donā€™t offer merit. I feel it is worth considering!! Overall I feel my daughter will be fine at a school small or big and has primarily attended non diverse private schools to date.

2 Likes

D didnā€™t get in at Stanford or UCLA. She was accepted at Boston College but fell in love with Loyola Marymount where she was accepted in for film and TV production and got into their honors program.

19 Likes

We didnā€™t apply to any of the Ivies, but hoping the folks on this thread got some good news yesterday.

4 Likes

Ivy Day went well, we got 4/6; we didnā€™t apply to Dartmouth or Cornell. Didnā€™t get into Harvard or Yale.

10 Likes

Congratulations! Thatā€™s great news! Iā€™m guessing thereā€™s a lot of decision-making to be done and perhaps a couple college visits in the next week or so. With so many good choices I donā€™t think you can really make a mistake.

3 Likes

Thank you! It was overwhelming process for him, but aid was a big factor and these schools meet need without loans.

UCs - he could have saved time, cause the little scholarships didnā€™t even put a real dent in the tuition.

Congratulations to you too :tada:

3 Likes