african american

<p>Im stuck on tring to find a major. Ive been switching from Information technology to CS to CompE. Ive notice none of these really grab my attention but always found African American history very interesting. Ive recently been thinking of making this my major. I was just wondering what type of career i can obtain from getting this degree. What exactly can i do with the degree. </p>

<p>By the way i am a African American male.</p>

<p>Historian idk lol</p>

<p>You really need to be more creative with the title of your thread.</p>

<p>"What exactly can i do with the degree. "</p>

<p>Sorry to burst your bubble…but I’m going to be honest with you. Some people might say that this major is similar to the case of majoring in something like History and Art History–and that it won’t really hurt you because you will receive proper training in grad school or on the job. But quite honestly a major like this will hurt you before you even reach that stage…The most that you can do with this degree is let potential employers know you’re black(and possibly a “militant” angry one) before they look up your address, call you or have an interview (if you are really that ambiguous)…And believe me, as much as SOME (emphasis on some) people will say your race is your saving grace on this site, trust and believe that revealing it in the job process does not help at all…it will probably hurt you…even Forbes did a study on this…something black people have been knowing for years.</p>

<p>You really need to figure out what your interested in because info tech to african american studies is sort of a jump…And no offense…but as an African American you can’t really afford to “explore” in college like some other students. That indecisiveness and “unfocusedness” will show on your transcript and give employers another reason to trash your qualifications…they will already question whether you deserved to enter the school you attended once they know your background</p>

<p>… so for wanting to learn about my history i will be considered a militant or an angry but if a white student was to do it. It would be something totally different. He would probably be praised by some of his peers. I agree with some of the things you said about info tech and it being a huge jump and college not being a place to explore. I just want something that I am interested in and will doing on a daily basis. Im looking for a career not a job were im miserable half of the time</p>

<p>+1 to what neuroscience1234 and emmele said.</p>

<p>

Well then by all means major in African American history. I’m sure there are plenty of jobs where you’ll be able to use your African American history knowledge everyday in an interesting job that you won’t be miserable. Look at all the white people applying their White American history degrees in interesting jobs. You can do it. Don’t give up.</p>

<p>Long post…
@nms230</p>

<p>I’m sorry for being so annoying lol…take my words with only a grain of salt because you know what is best for you at the end of the day. If you are certain that you are interested in African American Studies, than I would definitely suggest that you take some classes in it, maybe even minor in it. Honestly this major probably would hurt you in the job process, but I can see why you would want to study it. It is an area that isn’t thoroughly discussed. Depending on the high school one goes to some people probably think African American Studies is slavery and MLK. I personally believe that we need more scholars in the field if we ever plan to progress as a community. But then again you have to decide which path is best for you…If you want to be a scholar or an activist then maybe you should major or minor in African American studies…if you want to do info tech than it may be sort of a stretch to do anything but minor in African American studies …</p>

<p>@aglages</p>

<p>I really don’t understand you. Do you just check this board periodically for instances in which you can make a condescending remark? By the way, last time I checked whites do not have to take White American History because a plain ol’ history degree basically fulfills that. White American history is the construct and default of the history and American history majors. When whites want to study their history they can do it under the guises of the aforementioned and Russian studies, Slavic Studies, German studies, French studies, and Italian studies majors. Believe it or not Africa is not a country and the study of particular ethnic groups within Asia, Africa and Latin America is a rarity. I know plenty of whites who were history majors, art history majors and even some East Asian lit majors and have become very successful, even though, quite honestly, they studied an area that was replayed over and over again in high school and elementary school. The snarky example you gave is illegitimate because it completely ignores the context of the world we live in and the reality of history curriculums being taught in colleges that rarely have more than 10% minority population w/in their faculties. If you are here to sputter your opinions (w/some falsities) and not really help this person or these people on this forum, why are you here?</p>

<p>

To share my opinions and bring joy to your life.</p>

<p>If that’s your interest, then go ahead :slight_smile:
Career? Maybe a teacher or a professor in college? I don’t know honestly but if African American history is your passion, then go for it.
Also, consider listening to emmele. While studying a subject you are passionate about is important in college, take into consideration your career after college.
I am black, and like Emmele stated, we cannot afford to “explore” in college as other races would. Realistically, we still are not perceived in the exact same light as other races. We are not in antebellum America or the period of segregation, but we are also not in heaven either. In practice, no two men in this world are 100% equal. Maybe minor in AA studies? </p>

<p>Careers with African American studies: attorney, author, college professor, magazine writer, journalism, foreign correspondent…etc.</p>

<p>" so for wanting to learn about my history i will be considered a militant or an angry but if a white student was to do it. It would be something totally different. He would probably be praised by some of his peers. I agree with some of the things you said about info tech and it being a huge jump and college not being a place to explore. I just want something that I am interested in and will doing on a daily basis. Im looking for a career not a job were im miserable half of the time"</p>

<p>I don’t know about white students, but I’m pretty sure you would get a similar answer from white parents. And if more black parents were on CC, I think you would hear similar from them too. Even if they are middle income, most black parents don’t have the assets to be cavalier
about the value of a college degree. Your parents may be an exception; what do THEY say?</p>

<p>D</p>