After Admitted to TAMU Class of 2026... Whoop!

Lol Yes!! Since I have two aggies, one did fixed and one did variable. We’ll see…

1 Like

Gotcha. It was on the checklist and we see a :exclamation: in the Howdy portal so was not sure how quickly it had to get done. Glad to hear there is some time to research the decision. So appreciative of the input from parents who have gone through this before. I would be lost without yall’s advice :wink:

2 Likes

I did one fixed and one variable. Paid way more with variable…

And in these times, it’s only going to increase more and more.

But yes, plenty of time to decide. Must decide by NSC.

2 Likes

When is the latest we can sign up for NSC to get the slot in June? If we wait till Jan/Feb will the June NSC slot be filled up?

@hraj there are several NSC times offered, especially in June. It’s hard to tell when the huge wave of review admit, BlinnTEAM, Gateway, PSA, Engineering Academies (and every other acronym and admission pathway) will happen. Once those go out, NSC times will fill up fast, as well as the good hotels.
My student didn’t make formal TAMU decision until February, in 2019, and we chose July NSC. Worked out great for us.

Ok, great thanks for the insight.

1 Like

I would sign up when you get the opportunity. You can always adjust the dates if needed (not every nsc has every major, so you’ll need to look at that).

Also, there is an abundance of hotels here. They will not fill up during the summer. If you’re wanting to stay on campus, then that can fill up, but literally impossible for the hotels in Bryan/College station to fill up during the summer. Even graduations don’t fill up.

Speaking of signing up for NSC (and essentially accepting admission), has there been any anecdotal evidence that accepting admission early might have a negative effect on receiving a potential merit scholarship?

In other words, if the university sees that the student is coming anyway, what’s the likelihood that they hold back on giving scholarship money to “entice” the student?

And when are merit scholarship offers made – around February?

1 Like

@NDTA96 i honestly think there is zero evidence about NSC booking date & scholarship enticement. TAMU is known for giving very little, in the way of scholarships for incoming freshmen, they just don’t have to.
They definitely like all levels of NM (Commended, Semi & Finalist), but I wouldn’t say they dangle scholarships; more like they reward NM scholars.
Below is a list of the university scholarships for incoming freshman. The university doesn’t stack academic scholarships. And while many may qualify, definitely doesn’t guarantee receiving a scholarship (not directed towards you, just anyone in general who reads this comment).
TAMU scholarships are extremely difficult to get, especially as an incoming freshman. Yes, notification starts in the spring.

https://scholarships.tamu.edu/FRESHMEN/University-Scholarships

@52AG82 , thanks, we’ve had this conversation before about my NM Commended daughter and merit scholarships.

While I’d love to believe they “reward all NM scholars,” I don’t want to be overconfident. I don’t think it’s guaranteed for Commended, so if they’re on the fence about awarding her, I think it’s possible that they can say, “Heck, she already accepted admission and is committed, so let’s save that money and give it to another NM Commended who’s on the fence about coming here.”

That’s what I’m getting at.

I know this is difficult to know and wasn’t expecting any hard evidence, but it was worth throwing it out there.

2 Likes

Two questions. My parents want me to wait a year till I live on campus (will start college at 15), can I still get on campus housing in my second year if I didn’t use it on my first year? Secondly, I’ll start college with 45-51 dual enrollment credits (from lone star)…I’ll be done with general ed, should I retake all my general ed classes at tamu?

How are you starting college at 15?!??!?!?!?

I don’t think it will matter about housing, but I would call res life and ask this question. Specifically when you would register for housing during your freshman year.

And no, you shouldn’t retake your DC classes. In fact that could move you to an OOS tuition situation once you exceed a certain amount of hours. You’ll work through your courses with your advisor at NSC. They will assist you on what you need based on your unique situation.

1 Like

Do not retake classes unless you end up having a specific reason to retake a specific class.

@NDTA96 totally get where you are coming from.
I truly don’t think A&M looks at when NSC is booked, when deciding scholarships, especially for Commended. For Commended, her best shot (I think) at a scholarship is Presidents Endowed, Lechner or McFadden, one of the 3 Academic. Tho, those 3 are based on much more than just scores- definitely leadership, activities, involvement, volunteerism/philanthropy hours, etc play a big part, on top of SAT/stats.
My Commended student accepted NSC in February, Commended roomie accepted early October…both were awarded PES (President’s Endowed). I also think it depends yearly how many NM semi & finalist there are. We have a friend (‘24) who had a pretty high SAT, wasn’t NM, who was awarded either McFadden or Lechner (I can’t remember which). In late July, he happened to check his Financial Aid portal, and saw he’d been bumped up to PES (which means someone that was offered PES changed their mind about attending A&M). He barely made the cut-he had like a day left to accept the PES offer. So, things can change (tho I think it’s pretty rare), but again, all boils down to how many NM semi & finalist decide to attend (I think).

I still haven’t made my final decision regarding college…UH also gave me a 6,000 dollar scholarship + I could take a bus down there (vs TAMU where I would have to have my parents drive me every day I have classes which is a real problem). I don’t want to dox myself but I live in the Woodlands, and because of my age I can only go to those two colleges because they are close. Two questions…what would you guys recommend doing. And secondly…can I attend the NSC without accepting my offer of admission.

1 Like

@Texas231343 no one can make your decision for you. Asking your parents to drive back & forth 4-5 days a week to College Station would be a LOT. Mays does have a decent amount of group projects and presentations, which you may not know about until a day or two before.
You won’t get a $6,000 offer from TAMU, good chance you might not get any scholarship $.
Great things happening at UH, plus they have a law school. Do they have any pre-law/majors involving the law school, like auto admission or fast track? Worth inquiring.
You have two solid offers. Do research, visit both campuses during the school day, make a spreadsheet and weigh the pros/cons. You’ve got time to make your decision.

I thought they would only have to drive me two days a week…maybe schedule all my classes on two days, is that not possible? Also, thanks for your advice!

@52AG82 , yep, we discussed offline about those 3 main scholarships (and were perplexed at why the McFadden scholarship was for Dallas or Tarrant county residents only – note to others reading: if you’re a contender living there your competition pool shrunk a little).

I agree that awards vary based on the number of qualified candidates that year, so that’s why I think someone Commended might fall either way based how much scholarship funds are left after awarding the NM Finalists/Semifinalists and other high achievers. While I don’t think the Scholarship office would check an NSC booking date, I’m sure they can easily see one simple code in a student’s account – whether the student has accepted admission yet or not.

If your Commended daughter accepted in February and you had no issues with a July NSC, then is it safe to say there really aren’t any major drawbacks to waiting for scholarship offers in the spring before committing (just in case she’s a borderline scholarship contender and an early acceptance might sway the funds somewhere else)?

No not possible as a full time student. Plus there are extra things you’ll want to attend. Office hours, group projects, clubs, etc.
Plus, did you say you were business? It’s important to make connections. Many, not all, business majors join clubs. Business is not my area but I have friends whose children are business majors and they joined sororities and fraternities for the sole purpose of making connections.

1 Like