After Admitted to TAMU Class of 2026... Whoop!

Always good to have options!
Yes, you’ll be on the hook for Housing if you don’t cancel prior to May 1. You can opt out after May 1, but with substantial cost, and at some point you’re on the hook for the whole year.
So put a reminder on your calendar for April 30.

1 Like

No, it’s not free tuition. The tuition has not been accounted for yet.

I just found out how much the required “semester away” for Visualization students costs and I’m thinking my daughter is going to have to do the domestic internship option. $26K for one semester study abroad. Ouch. It is a full semester required away (spring or fall only) either 1) study abroad, 2) study at another domestic university, or 3) domestic internship. Apparantly about 70% of students do the faculty led study abroad experience together and 30% do a domestic internship. A few choose to spend a semester at another university but even that is pricey because you are paying premium tuition rates as a visiting student, out of state tuition unless you go to another texas university, and visiting students are not eligible for scholarships.
For the internship option students have to find an internship site and pay A&M tuition and deal with housing issues for a semester but normally the internships are paid so it works out fine financially.

Where did you see the cost? I know when my son was gearing up for study abroad (semester long but not required) he paid tamu tuition not the other schools tuition. Is it not the same?

It’s not the same cost for faculty led study abroad. It’s more than double. This is the program for the VIZ study abroad students. The link defaults to the overview page but click the cost and funding tab within this page. It’s $26K for one semester.
https://abroadportal.tamu.edu/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgramAngular&id=10843&fbclid=IwAR1xTd1w4Hk0-Kygh0nbo_wYyw41IZSk0VFrYMTqk9_YXZcn694Rnq_HbEA

There are other study abroad options that cost a little less. The ones for VIZ students are very limited. There is one school that has a reciprocal exchange program for VIZ students that is regular A&M tuition and fees plus travel expenses and other fees. It doesn’t give the exact cost so hard to tell how much more it costs for example the faculty led study abroad program fee is $14,000 on top of A&M tuition. So I’m not sure how much extra fees there are for the reciprocal exchange. But it says online that the reciprocal exchange program is a “Slightly less expensive alternative to a semester faculty led study abroad”. So the one for VIZ isn’t is in Australia. It wouldn’t be my first choice since it is for “independent and proactive students” since it is really on your own and about as far away as it comes! And then some students apparantly just go to another university and pay visiting student tuition if they don’t have a reciprocal program with A&M.

1 Like

@martinezcs maybe it’s due to Covid, but Viz took a group to Spain last summer, I think their trip was 5/6 weeks. I personally know a Viz student who was on the trip.
A&M does offer study abroad scholarships-for A&M sponsored trips.

1 Like

That sounds good. Glad to hear that. I am only today learning about it so I’m eager to find good news and alternatives to the $26K germany trip! I asked on the VIZ facebook group about it but it didn’t seem like they knew much about it because their kids either haven’t done it yet or they were supposed to and it was cancelled due to COVID. One of the parents shared the Germany info because it was his kid was going to go on it but it was cancelled due to COVID.

“Students who can’t afford to study overseas can apply for partial scholarships—up to $3,000 from the College of Architecture—or for study abroad scholarships administered by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid and the Study Abroad Programs Office. But often it’s not enough to get students over the financial hurdle. “I had a student here the other week who really wanted to go to Italy, but it was just going to be too hard on her family to do it,” Abbott said. “It breaks my heart.” He stressed, however, that no one is looked down upon or penalized for not going to Europe. I wish we had enough money to cover the difference between a semester at College Station and a semester abroad for everyone,” Abbott said.”
@ChristiR93 “About 30 percent of architecture students do not study abroad, choosing instead a one-semester domestic internship (usually paid), said Abbott.The hindering factor for these students is often financial: the cost for a semester overseas is about double that of a semester in College Station.”

From this article:

1 Like

I haven’t seen anything about a summer option in the VIZ sites and articles about the semester away options for VIZ students. Everything says the trip semester away is fall or spring. I bet that summer trip to Spain was because the fall and spring trips were cancelled due to covid. Maybe they will keep it as an option. Time will tell what options my daughter has in a couple years when it is her turn for the semester away.

2 Likes

Yes, it was summer 2021; the fall & spring trips would’ve been canceled that year because of Covid. For sure there was a summer Spain Viz trip.

1 Like

Hello everyone! I was curious if anyone knew when we could expect official financial aid packages to be sent out? I can’t seem to find any sources that have a definitive time period. Sorry if this question has already been answered!

@Sophiaaalexa not until spring, most likely. A&M scholarships start rolling out mid-late February, but some show up thru the summer and start of school year.
Scholarships, grants and financial aid show up on Howdy portal, under FinAid tab. Your student will need to view, and accept or decline. You won’t get a letter in the mail or an email, everything goes thru Howdy.
You can always view the website, or have your student reach out to the FinAid office, too-
https://financialaid.tamu.edu/

1 Like

I am curious on Brown scholar interview invitation. Is there anybody to have the interview invitation in this forum?

I received my invitation the end of November and interviewed on Dec 18th in Houston, the way the sounded, my group was one of the last groups to be interviewed

Thanks for sharing. What is your major? My son submitted TAMU application in Dec 1st. It seems like it was too late to be considered as Brown scholar. He received President Endowed scholarship as NSMF. Wish you be selected as the Brown scholar.

Of course, I’m majoring in general engineering with a hope to go computer science after the first year. A&M has amazing scholarships and benefits for NMF, it’s one of the reasons it’s at the top of my list

2 Likes

Congratulations on PES.
To be considered for Brown, even though the official deadline is Dec 1st. TAMU preferred everything completed by October 10th.

3 Likes

I would encourage him to look at the Tech Management degree in the Education and Human Resource College. My '26 is planning on MIS. We were not sure if Mays would happen, so we researched alternative paths. Tech Mgt was the decision for 2nd choice. (BA in computing was the other option considered.) Both allow to have a business focus as part of the degree, which makes the programs very similar to MIS. Tech Mgt has an impressive internship program that was a big appeal. Econ is a good degree, but I think Tech Mgt would better match with what he originally wanted.

2 Likes

Note that Technology Management (TCMG) in CEHD is a small major with about 65 to 80 freshmen and about 250 total undergraduate. There are plans being surveyed to move technology management from College of Education to Engineering in the next few years.

When evaluating options and chances it is also important to check the class size as small class size may fill up fast. Note also that “filling up fast” doesn’t necessary mean decisions will come out early. At times admissions may tally all applicants data on small majors (less first come first serve) and release decisions together.

3 Likes

Are there other opportunities to get in Mays BH if you don’t get invited to join during your freshman year?

Only incoming freshmen, or first year.

For first year, information is here Application Requirements | BBA Business Honors

2 Likes