Allergies

<p>When we were on campus the last week of May, my S was sneezing his head off.</p>

<p>Has anyone else had any allergy issues, and what did you do about it?</p>

<p>Wondering if getting an filter for his room will help.</p>

<p>It’s really only an issue August through July. [snicker]</p>

<p>When the family first moved to AL, the allergies kicked our butt. And we’ve never had allergy issues. DS used Zyrtec at low doses for a while. After a few months, we no longer needed it.</p>

<p>If you’re not particularly sensitive to allergens, I think it’s part of the acclimation process. Think of it as an Alabama Welcome Wagon gift. </p>

<p>If you are sensitive to allergens others may have more relevant advice, but at the very least let your doctor know.</p>

<p>We bought a really nice standalone HEPA filter for the bedroom, and upgraded our home HVAC filter to the more expensive allergy spec HEPA filter. But as symptoms eased, we eventually tired of the cost and grief, and moved back to the normal routine. The room HEPA machine was donated to the church thrift store years ago. (I almost kept it as a “white noise” machine, it generated a wonderfully soothing fan shhhh.)</p>

<p>But again, we are not an “allergy family.” Now that we’re acclimated, we only have issues on days when the pollen levels lead the news. </p>

<p>Yes, I said, “lead the news.” It happens.</p>

<p>We ARE an allergy family. Every piece of bedding is encased in allergen-proof sleeves, DD has an air filter in her bedroom, takes more than one antihistamine daily, gets allergy shots (as does Dad) and our allergist knows us well. It’s no fun. </p>

<p>DD’s dorm room will have same allergen-proof sleeves and air filter, and I can only hope that when I’m not there to prompt her she’ll still take her meds and go to student health services to get her allergy shots, where they will also get to know her well. </p>

<p>An air filter can’t hurt and Amazon has good prices. We got a decent one for less than $50 and DD said she thinks it really does some good. Zyrtec and Allegra both work well. Sam’s has a bottle of generic Zyrtec (ceterizine) for roughly $15 - for 400 tablets - though generic doesn’t work for everyone. Once Fall rolls around I bet lots of students will need something. That time of year can be an assault on the system - and Spring is just as bad.</p>

<p>I was just talking about this subject the other day. When we move to different areas we never know when allergy season and what will set my daughters allergies off.</p>

<p>I would almost always sneeze when walking out into the sunny weather. UA had a lot of pollen this past spring, so people’s allergies were out in full force.</p>

<p>My advice would be to get some allergy medication in advance, especially since Alabama law restricts the purchase of allergy medications to persons aged 19+.</p>

<p>Zicam nasal gel sprays are awesome for sinus congestion. Their cold remedy nasal spray is very good as well. Buy some and put in your students first aid box/kit so they have it when needed. It always seems to hit at night, congestion that is. One shot of the Zicam and you are good for the night. </p>

<p>I have major allergies and asthma. Nothing seems to trigger me while in Bama that does not already in Dallas. </p>

<p>If your student does develop bad allergies they can be managed well with the right meds. Most allergy meds can take up to 7 days to become fully effective. This is why it is better to be on something as a preventitive med. Myself I take Singulair and Advair daily per doctors orders. When that itchy feeling comes on is when the Benedryl is taken. Sinus pain is relieved with Sudafed. Since I started taking the preventitive allergy meds my allergies have been under control with no massive flareups or the quarterly sinus infections like I used to experience.</p>

<p>My wife is going to call his pediatrician today. He has minor allergies at home, but it’s nothing like he experienced in Tuscaloosa. Hopefully it won’t be an issue.</p>