Alternate Major For Nursing?

In case I don’t get into a direct admit nursing program, my teacher said I could get a BS and go to graduate school to be a nurse practitioner. Which major should I pick to go about that? Biology, nutrition, anatomy, public health, etc…?

Perhaps repost here?

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/nursing-major/

I am a FNP and ACNP, I have never heard of anyone becoming a Nurse Practitioner w/o a RN BSN, the only schools I am aware of require a BSN, they won’t take RNs with BS in another major…

I would try a non direct school if you do not get into a direct school. I went to a non direct school.

Teachers say lots of things,don’t they? Why don’t you ask that teacher to give you the names of some schools where you can do this so you can "look at the requirements "

What is possible if you get a degree in something other than nursing is entering an accelerated nursing program that gets you a RN degree in one or two years. However I would make this plan C. First aim for direct admit programs. Apply to non-direct programs as well. Do the accelerated program if you end up going to a non-direct school and do not and up getting admitted into their RN program.

There are a few ( veryyyyyy limited number of colleges ) that still offer a Master entry NP program for people already holding a BS/BA degree in a non-nursing / other major.
For ex: Seattle University has this particular program. It is very expensive & the program takes aprx 26months/almost 3yrs ( the 1st part of the program covers all the nursing classes needed to get the RN license & then the later part of the program are classes for the NP ).

I don’t know right off which other colleges has this Master level entry NP program ( for people without a BSN or BS in Nursing ) but you can google search for it.

There are many colleges that offer the Accelerated BS in Nursing. This is called a second degree.
It is for people with a non-nursing BA/BS degree now wanting to go into nursing.
Don’t underestimate the level of competitiveness for admission.

Accelerated BS in Nursing is very competitive to get in because

the applicant pool is very different ( mostly due to their work experiences & their strong desire to make this work since they are “switching” careers ).
You’ll be competing with people “switching” careers & they are crazy-competitive b/c they are now “older” and really want this new nursing degree to work.
Often the applicants with the highest possible nursing pre-req GPA + required HESI / TESA similar exams test scores + work experiences all factored in. With literally hundreds to thousands of applicants fighting for the limited # of spots.

While the overall applicant pool for Direct Entry are
all high school seniors ( with very limited health care /volunteer experiences.)
You are competing with other seniors based on High school grades, AP/ IB classes etc etc etc.

For pre-nursing student applying for the nursing program,
you’ll be competing w/ other college students
based on GPA & other sciences classes / some colleges may require some TESA/similar test scores.

Like the poster above me said:
try for the direct entry.
Then considered 2+2 ( pre-nursing )
Then think about other major if you are still considering other interests.

good luck