Alumni connections for non-Greek grads?

<p>My son is still in high school and has his heart set on UA. But I know we don’t have the financial resources for him to join a fraternity. I am wondering how meaningful a degree from Alabama will be in the long run without participation in the Greek system. I’m curious to hear from any recent independent grads whether you’ve had trouble getting a foot in the door and starting your career without the help of the machine… Thanks for your insights!</p>

<p>FYI – far less than 50% of males at UA are greek; probably something like 30%. It’s a bigger deal for the females. But still PLENTY of other excellent groups and activities to be involved in, for both genders. Greek life is WAY too expensive for many families.</p>

<p>If your son has political aspirations WITHIN THE STATE OF ALABAMA, then being in a fraternity is a big leg-up. But if that’s not his career plan, being in a fraternity is NOT necessary. There is an alumni Linked In group that could be of assistance. UA schools often have career fairs. There is a career center that helps alumni as well as students. While about 1/3 of campus is greek, remember that TWO-THIRDs of campus is not! You just hear more about the Greek side because it’s an organized area. Fraternities are nice, but certainly not required to have a successful college experience and def not for a successful work career. </p>