Am I a Freshman or a Transfer?

<p>Okay, my situation is very non-traditional and I haven't been able to find much on the internet to clarify.</p>

<p>I want to enter a 4 year nursing program. From the top. No transferring in or any of that waiting list BS.</p>

<p>But since I graduated high school, I have not been enrolled in college. I have taken a few community college courses while working and traveling. (I took a bit of a gap year). I currently have 6 credits, and I'm in the process of completing 9 more online. </p>

<p>The issue is that I don't want to transfer in to a nursing program, but I'm not sure if I qualify to apply as a freshman. I technically haven't been enrolled in college since graduation, but I do have credits to transfer. </p>

<p>Now, if I can enroll as a freshman on the condition that these credits could not be used, that would be okay with me. But is that possible to do? Or am I stuck in community college for another 1.5 years doing all of my pre requisites and gen eds before I can transfer in (maybe.. if I'm even accepted) to a 2 year nursing program at a university. </p>

<p>I have a 4.0 in the college classes I took, a 2030 SAT, and a 3.7 HS waited average with all IB classes. I'm sure I could get into a nursing program SOMEWHERE in the country as a transfer halfway through, but I want to get into a good program and I don't want to spend any more of my time at community college. </p>

<p>Thanks in advance guys!</p>

<p>In our family’s experience, you would apply as a freshman since you were not a full-time student at CC. D had 15+ credits earned at CC during high school, and entered as a freshman. </p>

<p>We did attend one open house with another kid, where someone asked about entering with almost 24 credits of AP and CC work. In that case, the Admissions Officer responded that the student probably would not be admitted as a freshman and would not be eligible for freshman scholarships/grants. I would guess that situation was unusual.</p>

<p>After D was admitted, she met with her advisor to review her CC courses. She got credit from her school for most of them, applied to general ed requirements. One of her classes was on the fence, since it was a nursing prereq and her university wanted her to take that prereq in the 0-4 nursing program instead. She ended up getting credit for that class against another freshman prereq instead of the nursing prereq. They looked at course curriculum to confirm it was as stringent as their own equivalent class and other factors when deciding whether to accept CC credits. (Both of my other kids took classes at the University of Pittsburgh and Penn State, and went through the same process to have their course credits transferred - it’s pretty standard, and there’s never a guarantee that coursework will transfer). </p>

<p>As a benefit to having so many transfer credits, D was able to enroll in classes a little sooner than others, and she was able to lighten her schedule when the really tough classes showed up. That helped her keep her GPA high. She tried getting a minor, but it was too tough to schedule the minor around nursing requirements.</p>

<p>It may vary from college to college. Some colleges may put you in a separate category of applicants as a “transfer” even though they still consider you to be a freshman. </p>

<p>Some direct entry programs don’t encourage transfer students, while others are very happy to accept transfers. I would hope most nursing programs would be happy to admit a student who has already proven they can handle college level work. </p>

<p>I believe most colleges would consider someone with less than 30 credits as a freshman. </p>

<p>Many students are entering college with credits they earn in high school, so it is not unusual for someone to have 6 to 15 credits before they start.</p>

<p>My daughter’s 4 year nursing program requires about 126 credits to graduate - so it is helpful to have some credits in advance to be able to graduate on time. I would hope you don’t have to give up any credits you have earned, especially since you did well in them.</p>

<p>Thank you for all the info Neonzeus. It’s definitely very comforting to know that it shouldn’t be a problem.</p>

<p>Charlie, thank you as well! I hope I won’t have to give up the credits either. Especially because they’re all gen eds and I would be soooo grateful to never have to take any of those pointless courses again haha. </p>

<p>I’ll definitely be calling up the schools I decide I want to apply to, to find out what they think I should do.</p>