Am I an AA URM??

<p>I have encountered much confusion regarding this subject in the past because of my origin.
I was born in Alexandria, Egypt, and moved to the U.S. at a young age. I have always considered myself African-American, because I'm from Egypt, and Egypt is in Africa...right? </p>

<p>But now I'm starting to see "(including middle-eastern)" next to the check box for "white" in applications. What does this mean? Am I considered white, or does Egypt not qualify as a middle-eastern country? Many people have also told me that North Africans are considered Caucasian. How true is this? Am I no different from your regular every day whitey? </p>

<p>I'm starting to get worried, because I feel like I might not get credit for being a URM, even though Egyptians are entirely underrepresented, and I feel I should get some sort of leverage
(as messed up as that sounds)</p>

<p>If anyone can give me some guidelines or their opinion on the matter, that would be great.</p>

<p>

They are, according to the US Census Bureau.</p>

<p>As messed up as this is… you’re considered Middle Eastern. Middle Easterners are considered White, not African-American.</p>

<p>I wonder if former Egyptian President Anwar Al Sedat considered himself Caucasian…(?) Many Eyptians, from what I’ve been told, have mixed Semitic and African blood. It was apparently true of many ancient Egyptians as well. Egypt is a North African country. But politically, as well as geographically speaking, it’s also an integral part of the Middle East. </p>

<p>Pch340, unless you are now a US citizen, your primary designation for college admission purposes would probably be as an international applicant. But that, along with your Egyptian background, my well be considered a compelling hook in the quest for campus diversification (assuming you academically qualify for admission to the schools to which you’re applying). I know I’d have been very excited by the prospect of meeting and befriending someone from Egypt when I was in college. </p>

<p>Socially and politically in this country, the term African American distinctly refers to a person whose African ancestors were enslaved here prior to 1865, the close of America’s Civil War. But, our educational institutions are well represented by black people whose ancestors were never slaves. Many of them are fairly recent African Immigrants. Good Luck in your college search, pch!</p>

<p>However, the check box for college board asks for your ethnicity, not nationality, so if you consider yourself black, then you can check that box.</p>

<p>^^ It’s not just a matter of what you consider yourself to be. If OP is Egyptian ethnically, then OP is Middle-Eastern (White), not AA.</p>