Am I at a massive disadvantage? Reccomendations...

I am a sophomore (international) right now, who is going to be starting freshman year. I have signed up for IB Physics HL and Chem HL and English SL, apart from that I have not taken any I.B courses. There are some reasons behind this, due to which i will not be pursuing the whole IB diploma. I plan on taking a number of AP courses but only in my senior year, They include AP art, AP calculus AB (BC not offered) and AP computer science, I am planning to take one more AP course in my senor or junior year. Is it recommended to take one in in my junior year (my schedule is jam packed with stupid courses needed for graduation). Due to the incomplete nature of my high school education, would my resume be viewed negatively by universities (american, especially-Duke). Replies would be highly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Your application will be viewed in the context of what your school’s graduation requirements are and what courses are offered. You will not be disadvantaged by the fact that your school does not offer 27 AP’s.

You may be disadvantaged for not following the full IB diploma curriculum, if offered. That would depend if other students from your school/country are taking a more challenging curriculum and are applying to the same colleges as you.

i see, because most of the students are going for the full ib. It is impractical for me to go for the full ib.

Why not take more AP courses junior year and just skip IB Or skip AP get the diploma.

My D is doing IB and squeezing in a few APs but I don’t think it works as well in reverse.

I read that you are an Indian kid studying in Ukraine, so are you self studying AP or does your school offer those? I cannot imagine why you would not do the diploma. As you are a rising junior, you haven’t started the diploma et, right? What is the issue?

i am not taking the diploma because my back up plan are indian colleges and i dont want to take full ib as it may mess up my grades. I will be giving the ap exams for the ib subjects I am taking, since our school doesnt offer them .

So your school offers GCSE and IB but no AP? Is that right?

No, it offers IB and AP, no GCSE.

what does the abbreviation mean ? IB? AP? :slight_smile:

IB-International Baccalaureate and AP- Advanced Placement