AMA: Kelley School of Business First Year Experience, Application Process, ETC

First year Kelley student here! Feel free to use this thread to ask any questions about the application process for direct admit, any first year classes or clubs or just about IU in general!

Will u pls send me the the name of books used in all subjects in first year at kelly. So i can start learning in advance

What clubs are open for first year students?

1 Like

If you are in the Kelley school can you add a second major in CS or add a minor in CS?
Thanks!

1 Like

how hard is it to transfer into kelley from a different school at IU?

All the clubs are listed here on this site: https://beinvolved.indiana.edu/

1 Like

Answering for Nikeshoes because he has not responded! In the past it was about 2/10 getting in standard admission. If you are strategic with what classes you take and avoid some of the harder icore pre reqs (take finite and calc at ivy tech, hold off on L201 and stats), then it should be easier. I think you want mostly A’s though. Idk the average to be entirely honest though because I’m in the ACE program so I’m surrounded by high achievers.

Some people add a second major in CS but most people just do a minor! It’s pretty difficult to major in CS because you are essentially getting a dual degree (Kelley and Luddy). Lots and lots of requirements and consistent 18-20 credit semesters unless you take summer classes. A popular combo is Finance + Business Analytics (major and co-major) and then a CS minor.

If you do want a dual degree you have to plan as early as freshman year when you register for classes. It also is harder if you go for a workshop in Kelley or something and have to take extra classes for it.

You don’t need to learn in advance to be honest! A lot of the textbooks are IU etexts as well so you can only get them through IU taking the class and they just charge your bursar account.

All the classes are here:

First-Year I-Core Prerequisites (must be completed by the end of the first year):

• ENG-W 131: English Composition (3 credits)
  • BUS-C 104 / C106 (H): Business Presentations (3 credits)
  • BUS-T 175 / T176 (H): Kelley Compass 1 (1.5 credits)
  • MATH-M 118 / S118 (H): Finite Math (3 credits)
    • Accepted substitutes include: MATH-D 116/117, MATH-M 301, MATH-M 303, MATH-S 303
  • MATH-M 119 / M211: Calculus (3 - 4 credits)
    • Accepted substitutes include: MATH-S 211, MATH-M 213, MATH-J 113
  • BUS-K 201 / K204 (H): The Computer in Business (3 credits)
  • BUS-A 100: Basic Accounting (1 credit)
  • ECON-B 251: Fundamentals of Economics for Business I (3 credits)

Remaining I-Core Prerequisites (must be completed prior to taking I-Core):

• BUS-C 204 / C205 (H): Business Writing (3 credits) P: English Composition with grade of C or higher
  • BUS-T 275 / T276 (H): Kelley Compass 2 (1.5 credits) P: BUS-T 175/T176 with grade of C or higher
  • BUS-K 303 / K304 (H): Technology & Business Analysis (3 credits) P: BUS-K 201/204 with grade of C or higher
  • BUS-L 201 / L293 (H): Legal Environment of Business (3 credits) P: Sophomore standing
  • BUS-A 304 / A307 (H): Financial Reporting & Analysis (3 credits) P: BUS-A 100 with grade of C or higher
  • BUS-A 306 / A309 (H): Management Accounting & Analysis (3 credits) P: BUS-A 100 with grade of C or higher
  • ECON-E 370 / STAT-S 301: Statistics (3 credits) P: varies by course
    • Accepted substitutes include: ECON-S 370, MATH-M 365, STAT-S 350
  • BUS-G 202: Business, Government, & Society (3 credits) P: ECON-B 251 with grade of C or higher
  • BUS-D 270: Global Business Environments (1.5 credits) P: English Composition with grade of C or higher
  • Choose 1:
    • BUS-X 271: Global Business Analysis (1.5 credits) P: BUS-D 270 with grade of C or higher
      • Students may choose any course from a Kelley School of Business department (BUS) that ends in 271 (e.g., BUS-D 271, T271, W271).
    • BUS-X 272: Global Business Immersion (3 credits) P: BUS-D 270 with grade of C or higher; an application is required to be a part of this course.
      • An application is required to be a part of this course. See more information about Global Business Immersion.
      • Any course from a Kelley School of Business department (BUS) that ends in 272 (e.g., BUS-G 272, L272) fulfills this requirement.