American history and AP world history

Hello all ,

This may seem trivial comparatively but I wanted to still get an opinion of the experts here.
My dd took AP World history and Chem 1 honors and AP Psychology in 9’th grade. This was a plan so that she could take atleast 2 AP’s in 9’th.
Now she will have to take a 9’th grade subjects like American history(civics and Eco) and AP environ Sci/Environ. Sci in 10 'th grade.
Will the top 10 colleges see this as an issue taking easier subjects in 10’th (which usually 9’th graders take) ?

do they have AP US history?

Are history and AP env sci required for graduation at your D’s school?

If not, why not take APUSH and AP bio.

In general, there is no need to go out of normal course sequence to pile on AP courses, especially ones like psych and env sci.

For most schools, US History (either AP or regular) is taken in 11th grade.

10th grade science is either Chemistry or Biology. Never heard that APES was a 10th grade science option.

Top colleges do not want students stuffing their schedules with random APs for the sake of having as many APs as possible. They want students to get a well-rounded education in the five core subjects of math, science, english, foreign language and history/social studies, taking progressively difficult classes over time.

Ideally, the student will have four years of each core subject. If the school has seven class periods, the extra periods are typically filled with any extra graduation requirements that the school has (such as health, PE, personal finance, etc) and electives in the arts or extra academic classes of interest. I hope your daughter’s AP psych class took that elective space in her schedule, not the place of a core subject.

In the core area of science that you are wondering about, strong students aspiring to top colleges will generally take an honors classes in each of biology, chemistry and physics and then select an AP science in one of these for senior year. AP environmental science, while interesting and valuable, is regarded as an easier AP and should not be substituted in place of an honors class in the three core sciences. The strongest students (especially those headed for a STEM degree) would generally opt for an AP in either chem, biology or physics and only take AP environmental science as an extra elective IF it is of interest to the student and fits into the schedule. It is a hybred science, NOT a core! A strong student not aiming for a STEm degree might take APES after taking the three core honors sciences instead of a core science AP. And while a few very brilliant STEM students might skip the honors classes altogether and go straight to science APs I don’t think that’s generally recommended, let alone expected by top schools, as a strong foundation of understanding the basics is important before going on to AP science.

Students heading for selective schools are expected to take US history and World (or European) history, (whether honors or AP). I understand that AP world history is now split up into two one-year courses (ancient and modern world history. My daughter’s school also has a U.S. government requirement offered in regular, honors and AP levels. If two years of world history are not taken, a fourth year of social studies can be satisfied by AP economics, AP human geography, or AP Psychology, or they can be electives if the student has a particular interest. But they shouldn’t substitute for the core history classes.

You didn’t mention foreign language…I hope your daughter is planning to take four years of it (or at least three). Strong colleges will expect that.

Why are you focused on T-10 schools? That’s an extremely narrow range, and there are excellent, highly-regarded colleges and universities outside of T-10s that may be better social and intellectual “fits” for your child. Trying to force your child’s entry into one of these schools (which may not, in reality, be any better than schools ranked somewhat below) can be a recipe for heartbreak and a miserable adolecence. Much of the rankings are based on things that may not reflect superior academic excellence over other, equally-fine schools, just a clever manipulation of certain data used in the college rankings game.

Yes, they have AP US history as well.

So Env Science AND American history&civics & economics is a requirement and the kids can also choose to take the AP instead to fulfill the graduation requirement. She will take AP bio/AP Chem/AP physics in sophomore . But I am wondering if it was mistake to not take 9’th grade course( Env sci ) in 9’th grade and take it in 10’th instead.
Also, more than piling I think she wants to explore as much as possible and also keep herself challenged. She has always been through a rigorous academic course load so AP was also to keep her challenged .

So she has taken pre-cal, honors chem 1 , Spanish 2, Eng 2 also for 9’th. She comes from a high achieving middle school however the high school is a home school .
For 10’th grade she will definitely take AP Bio/AP Chem/Ap Physics in addition to AP Env sci, not replacing any of the core courses .
Just was wondering if keeping Env Sci for 10’th grade instead of finishing it off in 9’th could be seen as a issue by colleges.
We are not targetting just the top 10/20 colleges, but we still have to explore what she is more inclined towards to in the next year or two but she seems to be pretty much ahead of her peers so wants to ensure we meet the criteria for the top colleges too.

That’s because it is trivial.

Colleges will not parse the schedule semester by semester; they have neither the time nor the inclination. So long as she completes the requested HS preparation; it does not matter when/the order the classes are taken.

Most AP lab science classes have strict math/science prerequisites, so taking AP Biology/AP Chemistry/AP Physics is going to be an impossibility in 10th grade. Unless this is one of the charter schools like BASIS that has a rigorous curriculum.

I would not triple up on the AP sciences. The GPA would take a major hit. Not to mention burnout.

Selective admissions is not just dependent on class rigor. There are multiple factors (ECs, essays, teacher recommendations).

Thank you ! good to know it is trivial! Just do not want to regret later.

She was thinking of AP chemistry since she just completed her Chem1 honors in 9’th.
So not tripling up either. Posting her schedule , would like your inputs on it.

Her plan is to take these in Sophomore year . Considering her focus is on STEM , any suggestions are welcome.

1. AP Env Sci/ Honors Env Sci - graduation requirement so is a must
  2. Amer. Hist. Civics and Eco. - Graduation requirement
  3. AP Language/ Honors English 3 - What would you suggest if she her main focus is on STEM?
  4. Honors Spanish 3 - Since she needs 4 yrs of foreign lang.
  5. AP Calc AB/BC - Her school offers both in one year
  6. AP Chem - Since she completed Hon. Chem 1 this year. She has the option to take AP Bio/AP Physics too. AP Physics should be taken after AP calc so may take it in junior year.
  7. Need to choose - Suggestions welcome, will AP Bio be too much ?
  8. Need to choose - Suggestions welcome

Thank you!!

Regardless of intended major, AP Lang is a great class, assuming the student can handle it. Effective writing is a skill for every profession, and will prove invaluable when it comes time to write college application essays.

Yes. I almost never suggest that a student take AP Bio and AP Chem simultaneously, and certainly not concurrently with ES. Nothing screams one-sided like 2 science courses in one year. In addition the the workload by virtue of being an AP, Bio and Chem are lab-heavy. Many schools double-block these courses or require before- or after-school time for labs. Plus the time needed for lab reports.

Does the HS have an arts requirement? TBH, the schedule could use a low-key fun class.

Check to ensure that AP Calculus BC and AP Chemistry are not double blocked courses at your daughter’s school. At my daughter’s school, both ended up being double-blocked (calculus because it was both AB and BC in one class). If that is the case, you may already have your daughter’s schedule filled.

My son is a sophomore and focused on STEM too. His current schedule looks like this: AP Language, AP US Gov, AP Calculus AB, AP Physics 2, AP Statistics, Honors Chem, Honors Spanish 2.

Thank you! If they are lab heavy then , it would be choose only one - maybe AP chem.
Art is not a requirement. They do have some career related courses like python programming or bio medical engineering or anatomy etc.

They are not double blocked. But I will double check to be sure. Thanks for bringing that up.

Thanks for sharing.
I have read that AP Physics is calculus based. So how does he find AP Phy. considering he is taking AP calculus too this year ?
Does AP language take up lot of time? I remember my daughter used to take a long time when she worked on her annotations in middle school . :smile:

AP Physics 2 (and 1) is algebra based. AP Physics C is calc based, and those who take AP Physics C tend to take calc concurrently; the calc needed for physics is not that advanced.

The amount of work depends on the teacher