Amherst Class of 2027 Official Thread

I see. Thank you.

We have to include their ED acceptances of around 275 + here but still the % is around 5 % & not 9%. So frankly donā€™t know their calculations but donā€™t know where did 9% come from ? I mean the source .

2 Likes

Most of these small LACs also fill over half their class with ED, athletes, QB, and others. So in fact the RD pool of well over 10,000 applicants is competing for 200 remaining spots at most places like Williams Amherst bowdoin Middlebury etc.

5 Likes

Same here, waitlisted Amherst, rejected from Williams. Luckily Likely-Letter from Cornell. Puh.

4 Likes

It is true. Their reputation is so much greater than the amount of students they can hold. They have to turn away, so I would not take it as a loss. They are looking for a specific type of student.

Admissions at this level of rejection is such a lottery beyond a certain point. Even when they are looking for a specific type of student, there are WAY more of those types of students than they can accept, so it comes down to the randomness of which qualified student catches the eye of an admissions counselor with which unpredictable detail.

Daughter admitted Amherst, Oberlin, St. Olaf, rejected Macalester and Carleton. ??

6 Likes

Anyone hoping to come off the Amherst waitlist? It seems like such a long shot.

1 Like

Iā€™m also hoping but I heard that they take little to no one off the waitlist. So, just received that as a rejection.

1 Like

They took 36 last year which I thought seemed like a lot for such a popular school, itā€™s worth a shot, but it does seem unlikely.

In the reddit A2C under r/AmherstCollege, one student already got admitted from waitlist.

3 Likes

My daughter just got a call and accepted off the waitlist!

3 Likes

Wow! Congratulations! Is this her dream?

She didnā€™t have a ā€œdreamā€ school. She is currently committed to Smith so this is going to be a hard decision.

2 Likes

Wow! Great choices!. Congratulations! No problem if you donā€™t want to share, but is she a STEM kid? Just wondering what they are looking for right now/

2 Likes

Physics major

1 Like

Thanks! Congratulations again!

Congrats! Amherst will be difficult to turn down unless your D is looking for a womenā€™s college. At Amherst, she can always take some classes at Smith through the Five College Consortium.

3 Likes

We have a family friend whose daughter majored in Physics at Amherst and absolutely loved her 4 years there. For grad school, she was accepted everywhere she applied including programs at MIT and Stanford.

When my S was admitted to Amherst in the Fall of 2016 you did not declare a major - only listed what majors you were interested in. He did not declare until the Spring of sophomore year. Wondering if this has changed.

2 Likes

UMass classes are fairly easy to work in, the others are more difficult, especially if you are taking classes with labs so have more restricted scheduling opportunities. It can be done, but itā€™s harder for science majors.

Really both are great schools. D is at Amherst, but has said consistently if she transferred anywhere Smith would be her first choice.

1 Like