Amtrak for transportation

We are considering having our son use the Amtrak train to travel from Tuscaloosa to Slidell? Has anyone had experience with this? It’s definitely affordable, but is it safe? How are the train depots?Thanks!

My son took the Amtrak Crescent Line from Tuscaloosa to New Orleans to spend a few days there over Thanksgiving this year and everything went fine. He didn’t mention feeling unsafe. I think he took an Uber to and from his hotel in NOLA.

if it’s anything like Amtrak in the northeast, it’s a very classy way to travel. Clean, fast, comfortable. I don’t know why it wouldn’t be safe.

Thanks for the information!

I don’t know when your son is planning on traveling but there are Crescent Train cancellations during the upcoming weeks. You should check the Amtrak schedules.

To answer your original question: The Tuscaloosa Amtrak Train Depot is older but quaint. The train station itself is a little out of the way, but the last time I took a cab from campus to the station, the cost was just a few dollars. Maybe your son can get another student to give him a lift.

Just a gentle reminder, if another student/friend gives a ride, please compensate that student for both gas and time. Many students can use a few extra dollars.

Also, I never felt unsafe either at the station or on the train. However, I never leave personal belongings when leaving my seat. That’s just a common sense precaution.

It certainly is better than Greyhound!

I traveled on Amtrak (Crescent) back and forth from Mobile to Jacksonville, when I was in college. It was fine. I did Greyhound too, occasionally. I preferred Amtrak.

I think that line was the Sundowner? Sadly, it’s gone now.

I love Amtrak. But travel in the Southeast US is nothing like Amtrak in the Northeast corridor from DC to Boston. Still it is safe & fun.