Amtrak from Tuscaloosa

<p>Would anyone care to share their experiences (or childs) experiences with Amtrak from Tuscaloosa up to the Mid-Atlantic area (DC/No VA.) and beyond? It is an overnighter (either way) and have never done that on Amtrak–we would not splurge for sleeper car. Safety, and reliability are main concerns.</p>

<p>Aggie, we’ll be doing it (one-way in the other direction) in a few weeks, so I’ll report back. We had a very difficult time scheduling our visit due to calendar conflicts, etc., but we’re taking the train down (22 hrs.) and not paying for the sleeper car either based on the recommendation of a New Yorker here (possibly Chardo? Sorry, can’t remember!). </p>

<p>We’re flying home on Southwest, so we’ll get to compare the two primary means of traveling to Bama from the Greater Philadelphia area. The train is definitely cheaper if you’re traveling on short notice.</p>

<p>That particular Amtrak (if we’re talking about the same one) is their Crescent Route, which is geared towards tourists traveling from the Northeast all the way down to New Orleans. It sounds like a really fun train ride, if you’re into that type of thing, and the fact that it stops in Tuscaloosa (I’m hoping) will save us from having to get a rental car for such a short visit. (I’m assuming we can get a shuttle or taxi to the airport.)</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/680/728/Amtrak-Crescent-Train-Route-Guide.pdf”>http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/680/728/Amtrak-Crescent-Train-Route-Guide.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Lucie, financially you will be much better off stopping in Birmingham to rent a car to get you back to the airport. A private ride for 2 to the airport is going to cost you $135. </p>

<p>As for the train, we’ve taken Amtrak from Chicago to NY, which was an overnight ride, without the sleeper car and it was enjoyable. </p>

<p>^^^^Thanks, I’ll look into that!</p>

<p>Just beware that the Birmingham Amtrack station is an armpit with no services at all. It consists of two island platforms and a small waiting room underneath. You’ll have to call a cab to take you from the station to the airport to get rental car.</p>

<p><a href=“Amtrak - Birmingham, AL (BHM)”>http://www.trainweb.org/usarail/birmingham.htm&lt;/a&gt;
<a href=“http://www.greatamericanstations.com/Stations/BHM”>http://www.greatamericanstations.com/Stations/BHM&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thanks–unfortunately outside of major metropolitan areas, train stations are not always in the best part of town! As long as he isn’t switching trains or hanging out for a long time he should be OK. However, that is great advice for Lucie–she might want to look into Enterprise to pick them up in Tuscaloosa (or BHM) and maybe allow them to drop in BHM at airport–or just pay for cabs from T station to UA and then hire a car for trip to BHM. </p>

<p>I’m still not sure what we’ll end up doing. The train takes us all the way to Tuscaloosa, so I figured we’d just arrange ahead of time for a taxi to take us to the hotel and use the (very expensive) limo service to take us to the airport after the honors college visit is over. We have a really tight time-frame, and unfortunately can’t be overly concerned with saving a couple hundred dollars here and there. I really want to make the trip as easy and enjoyable as I’m able to for my son, so that he has the best possible experience. I definitely don’t want to have to drive from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa after a 22 hour train ride. Is the Tuscaloosa station in an okay area? It looks like a nice enough station in photos and apparently underwent some renovations a year or two ago. Thanks for all the advice!</p>

<p>The Tuscaloosa station is just fine. Same as BHM - no services, need to call your own taxi. You’ll arriving in the middle of the afternoon so you really need not be concerned with safety in any way in either Birmingham or Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>You could do what Aggie84 suggested and rent a car from Enterprise (have them pick you up at the station and return at the Birmingham airport). It’s not any more expensive than the taxi services you’d be taking those two days, I don’t think.</p>

<p>Yes, that’s a great idea about Enterprise. I forgot about them. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>There is a local Tuscaloosa taxi driver who also does airport runs. Mike Brannon 205-310-0452</p>

<p>If you are going to in Tuscaloosa for any length of time, I’d recommend a rental car - or see if the taxi driver will give you a Tuscaloosa tour. You might be able to negotiate a rate for the rides you’ll need Or you can rent one in T-town and then return at the airport, which is more expensive, but probably not any more than the limo ride to the airport. </p>

<p>Hi, I think I was the one you might have been referring to, I have taken the Amtrak Crescent from Penn Station in New York. It is 24 hours in one direction and we did not take a sleeper car (way too expensive). It is a comfortable ride, seats are spacious, two seats on each side of the aisle. The seats recline slightly and there is a foot rest. The best thing about the train is that you can get up and walk around whenever you want. </p>

<p>For me these were important items so I will point them out:
We checked our baggage, some stations do not have the availability for this. Tuscaloosa station does unload bags, so no problem at that end. Check before hand if your station allows the check in of luggage. If you can’t check your luggage, I would bring a cable lock to secure my luggage.</p>

<p>Bring a small cooler with sandwiches, and drinks.
Bring small snacks like pretzels, gum and granola bars. I avoid peanut products when on public transportation just to be considerate (in case of peanut allergies ). Bring wet wipes with you, you can use them to freshen up as well. I bring small plastic bags for my garbage, it helps keep your seat area clean and makes disposal of your garbage easier. I also carry breath mints and disposable tooth brushes. You will feel better if you can freshen up.</p>

<p>Bring small bills for tips (on train) and cab fare/tips from Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>Make sure that your seat is where you want, it will be your assigned seat for the trip. Don’t sit too close to the bathrooms.</p>

<p>Bring entertainment like DVD’s for your laptop or it’s a great time to catch up on your reading. Don’t forget earbuds. There was no wifi on the Crescent Line when I traveled to Tuscaloosa. Make sure to bring your chargers.</p>

<p>As for safety, the train is extremely safe, there are train personnel to help if you have questions or concerns. However, like any public transportation, you need to take precautions. Don’t leave your purse at your seat unless your companion is staying there. Don’t put your purse up on the top rack. I put my bag with snacks and my cooler there, but never my computer or purse. If you both leave your seat, take your electronics and purse/wallet with you. I never left anything at my seat except my book, blanket, and cooler.I had a large tote that I could put everything in when we left the seat.</p>

<p>Take a blanket and travel pillow if you want to sleep, it can get pretty chilly when you are not moving around much. Get up and walk around, stretch your legs.</p>

<p>If you can, eat a meal in the restaurant car. It is an interesting experience and the food was pretty good. Take your plastic coffee cup for a souvenir.</p>

<p>Travel lightly, I know I mention a lot of items but buy small disposable items and by the time you leave the train, you will have used them up.</p>

<p>Be open to the experience and enjoy the trip. We met some wonderfully interesting people onboard.
Roll Tide!</p>

<p>robotbldmom, it was you! Apologies, and thank you so much for the ‘refresher course’ on getting down there! I’m a fairly experienced train traveler and used to traveling light, and my son is about as no-frills as one can get. This truly is going to be a quick, whirlwind tour, so I think we should be able to pull it off.</p>

<p>Class2012Mom, thank you so much for the taxi driver’s name. That’s just the kind of person we’re looking for. </p>

<p>Aggie, I promise to give post about our experiences when I get back!</p>

<p>Thanks for the post, @robotbldmom! We will be traveling by train for the first time over spring break so need all the tips we can get! I am a much better car traveler where I can carry as much as needed.</p>

<p>The Crescent is the ONLY passenger train through Alabama.</p>

<p>Our family rode the Crescent train from Atlanta to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl in 2009. It was a 12 hour trip during the daytime. Three of the four of us had a great time! Our DD gets motion sickness and wasn’t as happy. I agree with the above post about taking a cooler with drinks and snacks! Those are pricey in the snack car. The meal in the dining car was good and an interesting experience.</p>

<p>My husband thoroughly enjoyed reading and not having to worry about driving! We are both very tall people and found the seats and leg room very comfortable with a travel pillow for the small of our backs. My son and I engaged in a massive game of Phase 10 in the snack car and met some really nice people. We actually had time for a whole game! We didn’t take a laptop, so movies were not an option for that trip, but would definitely recommend it! Also, I agree with not leaving your valuables unattended! </p>

<p>Overall, a great trip for our family except for the nasty loss Bama suffered against Utah in the game! Ugh!</p>

<p>I did the Amtrak Tuscaloosa to Atlanta last year and it was fine. BIG seats with plenty of leg room and a leg rest, too.</p>

<p>Oh, you are all welcome. There was a program that Amtrak ran for college visits. Let me see if I can find that info. See link in next post.</p>

<p>Here is the link for the discount program; buy one ticket get second at 50% discount. Details at link.
<a href=“http://www.campusvisit.com/amtrak/”>http://www.campusvisit.com/amtrak/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>We are doing probably our last trip from NOLA to T-town on Friday. We love it. I pack a cooler with soda and sandwiches and snacks, one of those collapsible rolling kind. We bring a carry on if we stay overnight, ie, son has late class. We bring a good book to read. I spend the whole time looking out the window. If this is a first visit, it’s good to hook up with a taxi service, as they’ll be your best friends for the next four years. My guy is like family to me now. He always takes care of us, and we’ve used him not only for rides from the train to the hotel or to borrow son’s car, but he’s also gotten son to the airport for early flights, late flights, anytime. I am going to miss him so much. I’ll be happy to PM you his name and phone number. I’ve taken the train from Ttown back to NOLA on a couple of occasions as well. I love it. Oh, and for the taxi, call or text him and tell him you’re coming, and he’ll be there waiting for you. And a hint, the train often is late coming from NOLA to Ttown, as Amtrak has to yield to freight trains, and often times, we have to let the outgoing train leave before we pull into the station. Enjoy the ride!</p>