An honest review of Lucky 101

<p>Hi everyone-</p>

<p>I am currently a freshman at UW, and thought that a few thoughts on this topic might be of interest to any incoming freshman along with any curious readers. </p>

<p>First a few things about me-I've been living here for a little over a month and a half now and have spent a lot of time in the dorms on campus, so hopefully I have gained enough knowledge on the matter by this point to help a few people. I am from the midwest and consider myself very down-to-earth. I am involved with several organizations on campus and am a good student. I know the stereotypes that go with lucky, but personally I do not feel I fit them, and at least in Lucky 101 I have not come across many people that do. </p>

<p>For those who have not heard of it, Lucky is an apartment complex that is a part of the larger University Square development. It is located on University Ave and is a few blocks from State St/Bascom/etc. Composed of floors 4-14 of the development, Lucky is a very visual part of the campus and has definitely already earned itself several reputations.</p>

<p>Floors 4 and 5 (and next year 6) are reserved specifically for freshmen (although there are several sophomore transfer students residing there as well). About $200 more expensive a month than the floors immediately above it (which are furnished similarly), Lucky 101 also provides its freshmen with a resident life program including RAs and social activities.</p>

<p>I have been living here for a little over a month and a half now, and overall my impression has been positive. Do I think overall it is worth it to live here? Probably yes, but I certainly have my doubts. I live in a single, which means that I have one roommate. We share a living room and kitchen but each have our own bedroom and bathroom. Every month I pay $1111.11 in rent, which I recognize as extremely high for an apartment, especially as a freshman in college. </p>

<p>There are a lot of obvious benefits to living in lucky 101-you are essentially living in an apartment, so there is a lot more space. You have a kitchen and can cook whatever/whenever you want. Because it is private, the rules are MUCH more lax for things like alcohol, guests, parties, etc. Security is intense and I consider the building to be safer than the dorms. If you do random roommate, you are matched with your roommate on some pretty intense criteria that worked well at least in my case. You have access to a roof top garden and many apartments have balconies that are amazingly nice to use. The building is beautiful on the inside and rooms are very nicely furnished. Downstairs there is a food court, walgreens, apparel store, and other spaces that will soon be filled by other establishments. Covered bike storage is a godsend that I use every day and the front desk is way nice when you need help navigating the city/etc. All kinds of people live here and it is easy to find someone who you get along with.</p>

<p>The cons of lucky are not always so obvious. First of all, it is expensive, and next year there is going to be a sharp increase in prices. For the setup I live in this year, students next year will be paying about $350 more. This year was a sort of trial year, so most rooms were much cheaper. There is constant construction going on, and the sound of jack-hammering at 8 in the morning is enough to remind me why it is necessary for them to have the rooms be cheaper this year. Laundry was not well thought through and there are far too few machines on each floor (two washers two dryers per floor, and each floor has around 40 units). They recently got the online monitoring system up though which has made it much easier. The building is crazy busy on the weekends as there are many parties going on on each floor, and the four elevators are definitely constantly at capacity at these times. Fridays/saturdays are LOUD in the building and there is a ton of foot traffic, but on the lower floors I haven't found this to be as much of a problem. This does create some concerns about security though, as the high level of traffic makes it pretty easy to get off on whatever floor you want as someone always there to mooch a fob off of. I have not personally confirmed this, but apparently room keys also unlock the deadbolt on the door, which is not safe at all. The business center/tutoring services they advertise are pretty much a joke and I wouldn't count on having them be reliable resources during your time here. Maintanence is pretty reliable, although if your problem does not call for immediate help they definitely take advantage of this. I know several people whose dishwashers stopped working and they had to wait a week or two for a repair. The fact that repair services are "free" definitely takes a lot of the stress out of the situation though, and it is nice to be able to just send in a message online when you have a problem. </p>

<p>One very important part of lucky 101 that I would like to discuss is the social aspect. There is a big association between lucky in general and "coasties", who I will define as high-maintanence rich kids who do not come from anywhere specifically (I am aware of the competing definitions but I do not want to offend anyone and simply want to address a common thought on campus). This is something that I have not witnessed in Lucky 101. While there are kids from all over the country, my hallway specifically is mostly people from the midwest. Most kids are friendly and similar to my friends in other dorms. Basically what I am saying is if you saw them on the street and had a conversation with them, you would not immediately be led to think "oh this person lives in lucky obviously because they fit the stereotype". There are a lot of international students in the building and overall I have encountered more diversity than I expected.</p>

<p>One thing that I did not want to believe before I got to campus is that Lucky 101 is not as social as the university housing. This is something that I have confirmed though, at least personally. I definitely feel if I had not gone out seeking friends in the first couple of weeks, I would have had trouble finding friends in lucky. Apartments are bigger and definitely lack the social atmosphere the traditional dorms have. The RAs make a big effort to encourage people to leave their doors open and many people do, but the atmosphere is still completely different. Just from hanging out several times a week in my friend's dorm, I already know his hallway better than I know my own. Lucky 101 definitely attracts more private people, but you will not get shot down if you go out and talk to people in an attempt to make friends. I am happy with my friends here, and do not feel robbed socially, although at times I do envy my friends in the dorms for the atmosphere there.</p>

<p>That is way wordy, sorry, but it really is just an overview of how I feel so far. If anyone has any questions/concerns/etc, please feel free to post them and I will answer. Admitted students probably won't be getting mail about this for several more months, but it definitely is something to start thinking about.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an informative review. My son is in a dorm (Witte) this year (and loves it!), but you've answered many of the questions I had about Lucky. I'm sure your firsthand knowledge will be helpful to many in the coming months!</p>

<p>Good job. I talked to a few kids about Lucky and it seems you have it right. I think all dorms will be looking at major price increases next year due to rising food and energy costs. The construction is annoying and probably why they kept prices lower this year. It looks awesome though and the location is hard to beat unless you an ag/engineering major.</p>

<p>Nice, are the fee's going up by $350 of whats listed on their website currently? Cause I can go if the currently displayed prices are the ones for 09-10</p>

<p>I just looked at the website and the ones listed are the prices for next year (09-10) so it has been updated to reflect the new pricing, yes</p>

<p>We don't really need your advertising. I know many people that live in Lucky 101 and most say that although Lucky is a great place to live, you really don't get the freshman experience. The people I know barely know the people on their floor. If you come to Sellery or Witte you can really see the difference. I can honestly say I'm friends with at least 50 of the 60 or so kids on my floor and many others throughout the building. Our RA has connected with all of us (I don't know where you are getting this 80:1 number). Lucky also is quite a bit more expensive than UW housing although it definitely is much nicer, nicer than my house actually. No freshman should be living like that. Oh and the no party thing is an absolute joke.</p>

<p>My advice: live in a dorm the first year and if you want to live in Lucky the year after, go for it. You will have a lot more fun in the public dorms. If you do decide to live in Lucky freshman year, don't live in 101. Why pay 200 extra a month for someone that really doesn't do anything?</p>

<p>I don't live in Lucky101, but am currently a housefellow for UW-Housing, and plan on applying to be an RA in Lucky101 next year, rather than another year in housing. I'm currently a senior, going into my fifth year. I have friends that live on the upper levels of Lucky and know an RA in Lucky101. (Just to give you an idea of the perspective I'm coming from).</p>

<p>Michael, I'm not really sure why you think an RA would advertise for Lucky101. They wouldn't really get anything for doing so. It's far more likely that he/she stumbled across this forum on CC and decided to comment (an incredibly thorough comment at that). I have to say, that the time I've spent on Lucky101, I've seen a lot of people getting the "freshman" experience. Since when did living in a dump of a building become a prerequisite for being a freshman? I lived in Sellery my first year, and yes, while I had a blast, the daily vomit-filled bathrooms, awful-smelling hallways, and closet-sized rooms I could have lived without. Also, the southeast dorms have a horrible reputation for involvement in campus activities, and my housefellow NEVER organized any events for residents around Homecoming, All Campus Party, or any other major UW event (just like the vast majority of other Southeast HoFo's). </p>

<p>Now, while your opinion is just as valid as anyone elses, you really shouldn't use this forum to push people into one choice or the other, as everyone is going to have a different experience. Not everyone wants the same thing in housing for their first-year. The residents not getting their freshman experience are probably not taking advantage of all the programming I see my friend and his coworkers putting on. Are they a part of the Homecoming activities? Did they participate in potlucks? How about the countless movie nights, birthday parties, game-nights, or outings? Probably not. My guess is they kept their door shut and are hanging out on Facebook talking with you and their other friends rather than getting involved. That's fine, it's the choice they make, but then to complain about not getting the freshman experience is a bit ridiculous. The number in UW-Housing varies from 40-85 residents per RA, so that's probably where the 80:1 number comes from. In Lucky101, from what I've seen, I think it's like 25-35?</p>

<p>Other than that, your statements are unfairly judgmental, "No freshman should be living like that." Why? Because you say so? And your insinuation of "Why pay 200 extra a month for someone that really doesn't do anything" is rude, disrespectful, and I'm sorry, but unfair. Just look at the event lists the RAs are putting on every week. Honestly, between them all, they put on more options than the housefellows in my building. Not to mention they give the same levels of support and provide the same resources as housefellows in University Housing.</p>

<p>At the end of the day, this forum is wonderful, because you're getting to see a vast array of perspectives. But if you're making the decision of where to live your first year, don't be completely swayed by one post. Take them all into consideration and weigh your options!</p>

<p>Good luck! (Pun intended?)</p>

<p>Thank you for your fair assessment MNBadger (would that btw be considered an oxymoron?). It's even more fair to state that no matter if it is private or UW housing, the staff always have the resident's best interest at heart. </p>

<p>Our team of RAs at Lucky work very hard to meet our residents' needs and interests and we are fully supported by our staff--from the live in Resident Director to the Resident Life Coordinator to the Community Manager--they have OUR best interests at heart. We are aware of the challenges that arise because it's a new building and a new alternative hybrid solution for the first year experience but we are all working hard to overcome any obstacles to ensure our residents are satisfied. The same goes for any other housing option.</p>

<p>Hope getting both perspectives and an honest review has been helpful for everyone!</p>

<p>hmmm...I would have to say that I also thought the very long, pro-Lucky posts were subtle 'advertising'. I've heard this tactic referred to as guerilla marketing...</p>

<p>MNBadger why do you believe she is an RA? For all we know you could both work in advertising for Lucky. </p>

<p>For any incoming freshman, do some research. Both options have their pros and cons. Don't be swayed one way or the other by my posts or theirs.</p>

<p>Everyone's college experience will be different. Lucky is much more expensive than Res Halls- luxury living (just noted the over 45% of UW students with undergrad loans via the data from another UW thread link, this is before Lucky). The housefellow ratio is perhaps a bit lower- 1 HF per House, less than 80 residents per House (?often 60). Many students do not need much contact with their HF. Many students are very independent and not into organized group activities, especially after the first week or so. Res Halls offers academic courses and food service. It would be great if Lucky could be bought out by Res Halls as apartment living (U of Minn has undergrad apts- subject to the same rules as dorms)- but Steve Brown wouldn't get to profit from it then.</p>

<p>Incoming students- Res Halls still is a great choice for most incoming freshmen, regardless of budgets. Consider all factors, including locations available (lakeshore...).</p>

<p>Well, the facts are the "wise" folks over at the state Capitol decided not to allow the UW to add any net new dorm space so new students have to turn to places like the Lucky to have a guaranteed room as a new student. And there is nothing wrong with making a profit. There is enough local competition to keep any profit reasonable. Running a dorm for young UW students is sure a headache I would not want to tackle--even for a nice profit.</p>

<p>I am also a freshman living in Lucky this year. I had no option, I enrolled late and thus was not able to get a dorm. I honestly just don't think that Lucky should be the atmosphere for freshmen. Besides the people I share a complex with, I know NO ONE on my floor, etc. I am so jealous of the dorms and freshmen experience and am hoping to move out at semester. The rooms are very nice and they do a good job matching roommates, but seriously, this is college...live in the dorms and meet everybody. Oh, and if you want to send your kids to live in Lucky to avoid the drinking/party scene...it's a bad move. It is terribly easy to get away with and almost every apartment(even on the freshmen floors) seems to be having a party constantly. I put on my roommate questionnaire that I don't drink because I didn't want roommates that did(even though I do) and all 3 of my apartment-mates and I drink anywhere from 2-6 times a week. You will be exposed to alcohol if you live here. I'd say if you match these criteria, live in Lucky:
-You drink and/or don't mind roommates that might in excess
-You don't mind the possibility of studying in a loud environment
-You don't want to meet a ton of other freshman
-You don't want to live in a dorm set-up
-You are ready to be stereotyped as spoiled</p>

<p>I want to know the real story for OOS freshman students. My S was just accepted 2 weeks ago. Just received the housing contract for dorms in the mail-it must be in by February. Now I'm wondering due to a post on another thread whether he is guaranteed housing if he signs this contract even though he is OOS. He'd prefer to be in the dorms but if he's not guaranteed then we may have to look into private alternatives like Lucky. Does anyone know the current rules?</p>

<p>@ researchmaven: I am not sure of the exact rules now, but I know in the past by law they are required to first give housing to in-state students. I don't think anyone other than that is guaranteed housing, but if he wants to live in university housing I would encourage him to apply for it because most people do get a housing assignment. </p>

<p>@2008grad: I don't really agree with your response. Did you move in early? To any incoming freshmen, I didn't stress this before but if you have the chance, MOVE IN EARLY! Lucky gives you the option of moving in a week before school starts or a few days before it starts (and after the university housing students move in). Most of the students I come across in Lucky 101 who have had trouble meeting others are the people who moved in late. Yeah it kind of sucks you ahve to pay extra to move in early, but that week is when most of the social get-to-know-you stuff happens. That is when doors are open and you can walk in and meet people. I won't say that i know my entire hallway, but I know all of my neighbors and people sprinkled throughout the rest of the building. One thing all of these people have in common is that almost all of them moved in early. It isn't that I snubbed people who moved in later, I just feel like I hardly ever come across them in a social setting. </p>

<p>And it is true you do have to make the effort to meet people wayyy more than in the dorms. But it is not impossible and I can't even begin to stress enough that there are ALL kinds of people in lucky 101. I'm sorry that you got matched with roommates that drink a lot but that is in no way representative of the general population here. While a lot of people do drink and have parties where they also drink, I have met so many people here who do not. Plus, the same amount of drinking/partying is present in the dorms anyway. People are loud there too and distracting people is pretty easy when you can just walk in their door. </p>

<p>Also, I never find it difficult to find a quiet place to study. While I am lucky enough to have a quiet roommate, I rarely have trouble with other rooms being too loud. And if they are loud, it is on a friday or saturday night when I am not studying anyway. The lounges are usually pretty empty and make a good place to study and libraries like Chazen, memorial, and college are close enough to walk without much hardship.</p>

<p>I do agree that the dorms are way more social and sometimes I wish I had that atmosphere. YEah that is the traditional "freshman experience", but my friends I talk to who live in the dorms always mention that there are big trade-offs. It is just a matter of weighing what is most important to you and basing your decision on that. Lucky was the right choice for me, but it won't be for everyone.</p>

<p>Most but not all OOS students who apply early for campus housing get it. They don't publish the stats but I'd guess it's around 80-90%. There are always a fair number who don't apply to the dorms and live in the privates, commute from home or get an apartment. All are viable except commuting from home for OOS students.</p>

<p>I think $1100 for one college student for rent in Madison is exhorbitant. While many of the shared houses in campus are a little more dated and don't have the amenities of Lucky 101, we are talking about college students here...Maybe parents feel their kids should have the same living environment as they did when at home. I was on campus last month visiting a student who shared one floor of a house on campus with three other girls. The apartment had been updated, was near Camp Randall (the football stadium), each girl had their own room, the bathroom was nice, it had big windows and was bright...the rent for one was $350. Lucky and a couple of other "modern" high rise student apartments have taken advantage of the out of state students and their parents willingness to support their kids wishes...</p>

<p>Wowee 1100 a month for a shared apartment in Madison. My wife and paid less than that for both of our rents combined. Even that was so uncompetitive with off campus apartment rentals that we ended leaving our leases early.</p>

<p>I have no idea where you guys are getting the $1100 a month for a shared room. </p>

<p>The pricing, according to the website, is just over 800 a month for a shared room, which puts it about 100-150 more than university housing and less than other private dorms.</p>

<p>Sounds pretty comparable to me, especially for the quality of apartments. If you want a single room, yeah you'll pay more for it...</p>

<p>Lucky101</a> : Pricing Comparison : The new alternative to the UW-Madison dorm : Madison, WI </p>

<p>That's where my info comes from...</p>

<p>The above pricing, when multiplied by 9 months can be over $1000- significant to most students, especially those on a budget. And it would be more expensive to eat at Res Halls by 60%. Lucky is more expensive than the dorms or many newer off campus apts. It will be interesting to see how things evolve with this building, Res Halls continues to overfill every year- the number one choice of most freshmen, even those with money.</p>