Another great Honors College visit

<p>D, H, and I had another wonderful campus visit today with the Honors College.</p>

<p>We first met with Dr. Guy Caldwell. He spoke with us for a long time about the research he and his wife are doing in the Caldwell Lab, affectionately known as “The Worm Shack.” They are doing some very cutting-edge research into Parkinson’s disease, as well as other diseases like ALS, dystonia, and others. D got to see slides of bioluminescent worms (and their neurons) under some of their microscopes, and had a tour through the various lab facilities. D was utterly fascinated with the research this particular lab is doing, but Dr. Caldwell was quite upfront that the time investment required by being part of his lab is sadly really incompatible with marching band. He told her that if she’s really set on being part of the band, there are other labs at UA also doing cutting-edge research that might work with the band schedule, at least in her first year or two. He did say after that, it’s unlikely that band could work if she’s really interested in intensive biology research opportunities, just due to the nature of the research. </p>

<p>She’ll be reading through the bio department website, getting a feel for all the different research projects available. She may decide another project fits her interests better, or she may decide the Caldwell Lab is worth giving up the band opportunity.</p>

<p>We came home with a copy of Mosaic magazine (written and produced by the Honors College) which contains an article on a sophomore who is part of the Caldwell Lab. I can’t wait to sit down later tonight and read the entire article.</p>

<p>After the lab tour, we had lunch with momreads’ S and his girlfriend. They both talked to D about CBH and life as part of the UHP in general. D really enjoyed talking with them, and I hope they liked her as well and thought she could be an asset to the CBH program.</p>

<p>We then spent time with Dr. Shane Sharpe, who talked with her more about CBH. He gave her some tips on what they’re hoping to see in the essays the students write for their CBH application. He also answered some questions about the University Fellows Experience, and talked about the Honors College in general. He talked about doing research overseas, in which D is very interested. (She’d love to go to New Zealand or Australia.) Dr. Sharpe also encouraged her to think about the Fulbright scholarship at some point in her college career.</p>

<p>He asked her about other colleges of interest to her, and she said she was 99% decided on UA. We confirmed that enrollment and housing deposits were already paid, and D said at this point she’s not interested in even looking anywhere else. He said he realized she could always end up changing her mind at any point, so she should plan to keep hearing from them as they intended to keep recruiting her. Dr. Sharpe also assured her that they understand how important her music is to her, and even if she weren’t able to do marching band, they would be sure to find other ways for her to participate in music on campus. </p>

<p>Both Dr. Sharpe and Dr. Caldwell emphasized how creative people (whether in music, art, or anything) are often very successful at research, because they’re used to finding creative solutions to problems. </p>

<p>So now D has lots of information to process, more research to do, and STILL those essays to write! LOL </p>

<p>But for now, she has to learn some music for an all-state orchestra audition tomorrow morning that she had forgotten was this weekend! Good thing she said the music is fairly easy, and she’ll be ready after just working on it this afternoon/evening. More good news: she’s the only flute player auditioning in our district! Bad news: they only take two flute players!</p>

<p>BAMAMom2Be: First, all the best to your daughter with her audition for all-state. I’m certain that she will do great. Second, my son and his girlfriend truly enjoyed meeting your daughter today. They had a lot of fun talking about CBH, the other honors programs, and life at Alabama. They hope that she will consider applying to CBH, because of the research opportunities that the program affords, as well as all the fun they have in the program. Third, glad to hear that the rest of your visit went so well.</p>

<p>Very cool! How exactly did you set up the meeting? I called the HC today and the answer I got was they don’t do tours but they could have us meet with a rep, maybe.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>The actual Campus Tour is done by the campus (set up online), [Campus</a> Visits - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://gobama.ua.edu/visits/]Campus”>Visit)</p>

<p>but then…</p>

<p>Once you have your tour time, send an email to Jami Gates in the Honors College. Tell her your tour time and date. Tell your stats and intended major. </p>

<p>If you have a science or engineering interest, ask for a tour of the Shelby Building and the Science and Engineering Complex. </p>

<p>If you have a biology or medical interest, see if you can meet with Dr. Guy Caldwell or his wife, Dr. Kim Caldwell. Working in the Caldwell Lab is an honor. [Home</a> | The Caldwell Lab](<a href=“http://bama.ua.edu/~gcaldwel/#]Home”>http://bama.ua.edu/~gcaldwel/#)</p>

<p>Jami can set up appt with your dept head, tour of honors housing, and meetings with some honors people. If desired, you can also ask to sit in some honors classes.</p>

<p>jami gates 205-348-5599 <a href=“mailto:jami.n.gates@ua.edu”>jami.n.gates@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>This latest visit was not an actual campus tour. Mom2CK gave one link for setting up a campus tour. We went another route back in the spring, and set up a “Discovering BAMA” tour that is organized through the National Alumni Association. [This</a> page](<a href=“http://alumni.ua.edu/discovering-bama]This”>Discovering BAMA - alumni.ua.edu) tells more about the program. </p>

<p>To set up a tour, you have to get a recommendation from a current NAA member. We just went to the NAA website, found our local chapter, and looked at their contact list. Turns out one of their officers works for the same company as my husband, so we contacted him. He put us in touch with the two people in the local chapter who organize tours. I provided the stats info for my D and her best friend, and they were very happy to arrange a campus tour for us.</p>

<p>We met with Jami Gates of the Honors College during that campus visit. When we decided we wanted to meet with Dr. Caldwell and Dr. Sharpe for some more detailed information, we just contacted Jami, and she set this trip up for us. She asked us what we wanted to do while we were on campus, and she arranged everything. </p>

<p>We got to experience lunch again at the Lakeside Dining Facility, which my D loves. I ate there during the last campus visit, but this was the first time for my H. He couldn’t believe all the options for the kids, and that it was an all-you-can-eat facility.</p>

<p>Every single person we met on campus went out of their way to make us feel welcomed and wanted. After both visits, my D has felt that everyone she met really wants her to become a part of the UA family. That’s really the way everyone associated with the Honors College made us feel: they’re a family, and our D will have people available to help her should she ever need anything while at school.</p>

<p>Dr. Sharpe and Dr. Caldwell also gave her their business cards, and told her they would love to hear from her anytime she has any questions. We know how busy they must be, so it was really impressive how strongly they encouraged her (and us) to contact them at any time and to return for a visit anytime we like. (It helps that we’re only 2.5 hours away, so a campus visit is a super-easy day trip. The only problem is finding the time in D’s schedule.)</p>

<p>Wow, thanks. I’ll definitely look into that for next month. I’m visiting on Monday with some classmates but we couldn’t get a tour (waited too long to call), so we’re just going to hook up with some students we know, I guess. I’d really like to do a more in-depth honors visit though.</p>

<p>Sounds like you had a great visit. I wish CC had a “like” button!</p>

<p>I’m glad that y’all had a great visit. </p>

<p>Crazyinalabama11, if you have some extra time while on campus, you can always stop by the honors college. It might not be possible to have a full honors visit on such short notice, but there will be students (including myself) and staff there who can answer any questions you may have and give you some brochures about honors.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>