Answering questions about Loomis

Hey guys!! I am a sophomore at The Loomis Chaffee School. For newly accepted students, who are trying to decide whether or not to come to Loomis, I am answering any and all questions you may have. Congrats on getting in btw!!

7 Likes

How is the food situation? :joy:

1 Like

Thank you. My son was just accepted as a day student and is absolutely ecstatic. We will definitely have some questions for you when he gets back from his middle school today. Thank you!

My daughter told me to say “the desserts are amazing.” Infer from that what you will :joy:

My son was accepted into the LC Scholar program. Please tell me more about the program.

3 Likes

What is the dress code like? And since I would be entering as a sophomore, would it be easy to adjust and make friends?

Interested too. My daughter was accepted as a LC scholar

Dress code is basically nonexistent for girls - you just can’t wear blue jeans (black and white are fine) or sweatpants. You’re not supposed to wear leggings but everyone does. It’s a little stricter for boys.

Tons of people start as sophomores. I think they said the grade grows by either 20 or 25 percent in 10th grade. You will be fine!

1 Like

Hey! The food is usually just okay. It’s not as bad as I thought it would be. Sometimes it’s really good. The dessert always hits tho lmao. My vegan friends do say that the options are not good.

Of course! Congratulations to your son! I can’t wait to answer any questions you might have.

1 Like

Your daughter is absolutely right!!

Congratulations!! Being accepted into the LC Scholar program is a huge accomplishment. Every year, Loomis selects a few outstanding applicants from the freshman pool and inducts them into the LC Scholar program. The program offers students unique leadership and enrichment opportunities that aren’t offered to regular students. They get to meet with the head of school and other leaders on campus from time to time throughout their time at Loomis. They also get a fully paid travel opportunity during the summer between their sophomore and junior year. I would highly recommend picking Loomis for this great opportunity. I am in a similar scholar program called the Kravis Scholar program and it’s been a very rewarding experience thus far.

1 Like

Congrats on getting in! The dress code is super chill. I think the only rule that is strictly enforced is the no blue jeans rule. Other than that no one really follows the “official” dress code. I’m actually a new sophomore this year, and it was SUPER easy to adjust. There are a ton of new sophomores each year, and the returning sophomores are super welcoming. I have friends across all grades so you’ll def find your crew

1 Like

Thank you!! I’m really excited, and your response about the sophomores is super helpful! Too bad about the blue jeans rule, though - they’re like 1/2 of my closet :frowning_face:

Congrats on the Loomis Scholar award (to the two parents/students who posted about being awarded this).

If you haven’t already, then you should be receiving an email from a Loomis Scholar mentor who will typically offer to zoom with you to discuss the benefits of the program in more detail. This year, they may offer to meet in person during the revisit days (last year that wasn’t an option because of covid).

We had an in depth discussion about the program with the mentor and were also put in contact with parents of a recently graduated Loomis Scholar to discuss their experience.

Congratulations on everyone accepted to Loomis.

4 Likes

I’m glad I was helpful. And pleaseeee don’t let the blue jeans rule bar you from coming. If you don’t mind me asking, what other schools are you considering?

Miss Porters and Suffield Academy! I like both of those schools, but I feel like I have a more personal experience with Loomis because I attended LCSP and chose to re-apply for the 2022-23 school year (I applied late and was rejected last year). Either way, I’m looking forward to my Revisit Days and making my final decision. In the meanwhile, any more thoughts/comments on Loomis would be appreciated! :smiley_cat:

1 Like

We have acceptance at Andover with no financial aid and Loomis scholar acceptance. It’s a tough choice to make.

Wait did you attend LCSP the summer before 2021-2022?? I did too! What course(s) did you take? You might’ve been in one of my classes. For additional thoughts, I think the campus is absolutely beautiful, especially in the fall. People are generally nice but it took a while for me to find a solid group of friends. That process definitely depends from person to person. If you’re more of a humanities person then this is the school for you. So many options for English electives, history electives, social sciences, psychology, philosophy, etc. Where it falls a little short academically, in my opinion, is the math department. While Loomis offers a wide range of math classes, the teachers can’t teach, or I just don’t like the teaching style.

1 Like

Congrats on Andover! That’s amazing. That’s definitely a tough choice. Personally, I would choose Loomis because of the financial aid offered. In the long run, your child would still be getting an amazing education at either institution. I’ve come to realize that the schools don’t differ too significantly academically. Is there something specific drawing you to Andover? And is financial aid super important?