Ask Questions about Loomis Chaffee!

Hi all!

I’m a new sophomore at Loomis Chaffee and I’m here to answer any questions anyone might have about my lovely little school. I seriously love it here and I can’t say that enough. Anyone else is (obviously) welcome to chime in.

:slight_smile:

MODERATOR’S NOTE: Anyone is free to ask or answer questions in this thread.

Why doesn’t my son ever call home unless he needs money? :slight_smile:

Glad to hear you’re loving it. He is also.

@ProudLoomisDad…he’s a boy. Need I say more :slight_smile:

@HistoryGeek40 … my DD is a new Sophomore too. I wonder if you know each other? She also LOVES Loomis.

At least you got a call. I just sms’d my dad. :slight_smile:

My DD visited Loomis yesterday, she loves it!! It is just the first step of the process, long way 2 go.

Good luck SandRiverfish.

ProudLoomisDad, Thank You.

I probably do! I can PM you. :slight_smile: @dreamcatcher3

What was it like to be a new sophomore?? I mean did you encounter any social, athletic or academic challenges? How did you adapt to the Loomis community? What is a typical day at Loomis like??

I know this is a specific question but I was wondering about running. I love to go running early in the morning before school. Would I still be able to do that?

@Nomad99 Hi! Coming in as a new sophomore was an awesome experience and there are very few social challenges one would face as a lot of the graduating class comes in as sophomores! Academic? Nope. Athletic? Nah! I adapted well to the Loomis community due to the fact that I put myself out there and dorm life provided opportunities to get to know friends. Sophomore retreat also allowed me to meet friends I wouldn’t have met otherwise and it was an awesome trip.

A typical day at Loomis involves my waking up anywhere from 6:00-7:30. Then I go to breakfast at 8:00 with classes starting at 8:30. Ihave classes until around 10:05 and then the entire school has a community free for 45 minutes. Afterwards, we have class until 12:35 when we have lunch and then classes resume at 1:05 and finally conclude at 3:20. Afterwards, you will have a sport/afterschool commitment in the afternoon which starts at 3:45 and usually ends around 5:40/6:00. Then you go straight to dinner and most people leave at around 6:20. Afterwards, you have free time until check-in at 7:30 and study hall from 7:45-9:45. After study hall, if you have a “work job” in the dorm, you help clean up and if not, you can go to your room and get ready for the night. We have to be in our rooms at 10:15! Some nights, we have birthday parties, dorm meetings, free swim, or holiday/seasonal parties. The weekends are a blast, but that’s a whole nother story. Hope this helped you!

@asdf789 You can still run in the morning! In fact, our campus is surrounded by a mile long loop which is perfect for running in the morning and you certainly won’t be alone if you do this! The dorms unlock at 6:00 AM, I believe, so you have two and a half hours to get that run in! :slight_smile:

There seems to be a larger percentage of day students than some other schools. Does this affect the weekend environment? When we visited, our tour guide, who was a boarder, said he went home about one weekend a month. Is it a ghost town on weekends? How’s the food? And what’s with the chickens? My DD seems to be fixated on the chickens.

I was a little fixated on the chickens myself :slight_smile: Hey is there anyone here who was accepted to LC for the 11th grade?

I got accepted to Loomis as a new sophomore, and was wondering about the course selections… Since AP Euro is only available to sophomores, can new sophomores take that course? Or will I have to take world history? Are there placement exams for math/science courses? I would like to go to AP calculus AB and Advanced physics next year. Thanks!

Congrats on your acceptances everyone. Ds is a freshman this year. I’ll try to answer what I can.

Son has been on campus most weekends. I don’t get the sense it’s boring or a ghost town at all. He’s having a lot of fun. He is also pretty clear that weekends are mainly for sleeping. (as well as break, I swear he slept 10 hrs/day) These kids work hard!

Course questions will be answered by the academic dean I believe. That’s Mr. Tim Lawrence. He’s super nice, smart and helpful. Don’t gestate to reach out.

There are not placement exams, instead a questionnaire will be given to your current math and language teachers to assess proper placement. It’s a bit surprising where you get placed. These kids are smart!!!

*of course I meant hesitate and not gestate…

:slight_smile:

About the Crew Club is the team itself any good or would you recommend doing other activities? All I’ve really ever done is Crew

Yes, you can go running and go off campus any time - all need to do is sign out from your dorm. No per required. You do need to be back to sign in to breakfast, at least as a Freshman.

Thanks @ProudLoomisDad ! I did contact Mr. Lawrence and he answered all my questions. I was also wondering if anyone knows what sophomore dorms are like…do people get to choose their dorms? Do the majority of the kids get doubles or singles? Loomis sent me a postcard with the new girls dorm Cutler Hall on it… Will this dorm be open to sophomores?