Answering questions

<p>Are the financial aid packages similar from year to year? We haven’t got ours yet and have a very low EFC so it might not even be possible but we have our fingers crossed that the aid Will be good.?</p>

<p>Unfortunately I can’t help you there. D had some merit aid but we didn’t qualify for FA. I would think that if your income didn’t vary much your FA would be steady.</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>Can you please tell a bit about campus life in relation to religion? or in other words, how much religion is a factor in LC and how, in your opinion, people from religious minorities feel there?
I know that there is some interfaith (whatever that means…it seems Christian-centered to me) gatherings etc.
thanks</p>

<p>forgot to add - how’s the feeling (and actual ‘numbers’) of personal safety in LC?
thanks</p>

<p>This is also pretty late (the board appears to be mostly deserted), but I want to throw my question in as well. How is the English program at L&C? I know wasabi and kenzie both expressed their concern over how long professors stay and the lack of space in classes, but I’m interested in what you think about the program overall – from your own experiences, or from things you’ve heard or seen. Thank you! :)</p>

<p>I can’t help you there. DD was a math major.</p>

<p>My son really likes L&C but we didn’t get good financial aid and it will mean big loans to go there. He has much better offers from Willamette and University of Red lands. Is L & C worth the extra cost???</p>

<p>Is L & C worth the extra cost???</p>

<p>I’m thinking my son would say no, but he can be a pessimist at times. I do believe he’s gotten opportunities at L&C that would have been harder or impossible to get at a larger university. He had a great experience in his overseas program, it was a once in a lifetime trip. His internships gave him experience that will help him in future employment. </p>

<p>I don’t know anything about the other schools your son has available. They may have similar opportunities, so they could be just as good a choice.</p>

<p>DD did a summer research program at Willamette and a friend graduated from there. We also used to live in Redlands. I can’t say I would pay more to attend L&C. I know DD LOVED her time at L&C and in Portland, but I can’t believe she wouldn’t have also enjoyed the other schools as well. I believe Willamette is considered a peer school to L&C, not sure that Redlands is.</p>

<p>Hope people are still checking this thread. My son is leaning toward committing to L&C. Received a great scholarship that makes it very attractive when comparing to full pay at the top schools that accepted him and don’t give merit aid. He has done an overnight, sat in on classes and visited with department chairs. Loves the campus and location. Does anyone have insight into the success of math majors at a liberal arts college such as L&C getting into good grad programs when compared to a larger research university. Probably looking at a double major. Erin’s Dad, I think I saw that your daughter is a math major. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.</p>

<p>At this point DD does not intend to go on to Grad School. That being said I think she is well prepared for that. My DW was a math undergrad at a mid-sized U and they had essentially the same courses (DW went on for a Masters in Stats). DD likes her instructors quite a bit and feels close to them. They also helped her get into a research program last summer at Willamette. [Willamette</a> Valley REU-RET](<a href=“http://www.willamette.edu/cla/math/REU-RET/]Willamette”>http://www.willamette.edu/cla/math/REU-RET/) If your S is very advanced in math there might be an issue in how far he could go. But DD right now is working on a thesis using graph theory which she learned during her summer research and some prior dissertation work by her advisor. There are options.</p>

<p>Thanks. He’s doing linear algebra/multivariable calc this yr but after sitting in on a class and visiting with the professor feels they will offer enough course selection if he plans it out. Some are staggered every other year or semester. He also feels research opportunities will be available, which might be a benefit of attending a small college. Of course at this stage who knows if he will want to pursue grad school or if his major will change. Just want to know the opportunity will be there if he does well and is interested. One of the reasons he’s enthused about a small LAC is the change to explore different interests. Glad your daughter has had such a good experience.</p>

<p>Halflight, it was definitely a good experience. She became involved in a number of clubs (Anime, Fencing, Math), went to Japan for a semester, attended many on-school events like Poetry Slams/student talent shows/one act shows, has friends she stays in contact with, takes time on the weekend to go downtown to just walk about/hit the bouldering gym. She has really enjoyed her time in college. Soon it will be off to the working world. :)</p>

<p>My son isn’t a math major (actually didn’t take any math at L&C because he had AP credits), but he is a Chemistry major. He did have a slight worry about having a BA Chem degree, but he was accepted and will be going to the University of Wisconsin in the Chemistry PhD program. I think he had internship opportunities at L&C that he wouldn’t have gotten at a larger university, which made him a good candidate. </p>

<p>It sounds like your son will have similar opportunities in the Math department, so I’d guess he won’t have any problem getting into a graduate school if he wants.</p>

<p>Thanks akck and Erin’s Dad. Your input is very helpful. In looking around the threads here it seems my son’s situation is a lot like that of Kenzie1992 and she seems very happy with her choice. We were looking at U Chicago on the too expensive end and some of the NMF scholarships at OOS Flagships with good honors colleges. But based on son’s impressions of L&C (and mine) and the positive feedback on your experiences I’m feeling very good about this decision. Again, thank you.</p>

<p>Folks who know the campus, any housing suggestions for a sociable, non-drinking/non-smoking freshman who’s a good student (art, theater, sports, international relations are areas of interest in no particular order) who really wants a chance to get to know people and become part of the community in the fall and wants to choose a dorm that will support that? Any insight will be much appreciated!</p>

<p>^Platt west is a great choice for someone into art and theatre. For more general great community and involvement, Odell is really fun, as is Platt East but they’re a little more rowdy. Athletes tend to flock to Copeland so depending on how big the sports thing is that could be a decent choice too.</p>

<p>Thanks for your suggestions, kenzie! :slight_smile: Anyplace you’d recommend staying away from?</p>

<p>Well, as a non-drinker/non-smoker it depends on how much of that your kid is comfortable being around. From my experience, Copeland, Forest, Howard, and Akin tend to be the rowdiest but of course every year it depends on the specific community. Stewart (wellness/sub-free) is the most consistently chill and quiet and clean, and that can be a plus or a turn off depending on the student. It depends a lot more on what someone is looking to stay away from as opposed to what they’re looking to find.
Afraid of being stuck with antisocial hallmates? Avoid Stewart.
Don’t want a lot of cigs and weed around? Avoid Forest (although TBH there’s no way to truly avoid that in dorms outside of Stewart)
Don’t get on well with bro-ey jocks? Avoid Copeland.
Afraid of getting stuck in (or outside of) a tight clique? Avoid Platt-VAPA.
Want something a little nicer and less run-down? Avoid Forest (especially if you value quality showers), VAPA, and Copeland (though I think they might be re-doing parts of cope this summer…)
Don’t like co-ed bathrooms? Avoid Odell, Copeland, and maybe Howard, I don’t remember.</p>

<p>I could go on. There’s pros and cons everywhere. I love Odell, personally, it has a very great low-key community.</p>

<p>Thanks for your insights–so nice of you to take the time to post.</p>