Antropology or Psych Online vs. PHL 106-Honors Deductive Logic?

<p>My D has a pretty good schedule coming out of BB. She really wants to get into IHP 155, but didn’t get in. She is now trying to decide between taking Intro Psych or Intro Anthropology online or Honors Deductive Logic (PHL 106). She is also taking Eng 215, BSC 108, Math 112, and SP 353 so she wants this to be a relatively easy class.</p>

<p>Any thoughts on any of these 3? She could use the SB credit. She does not need another humanities credit, but logic intrigues her.</p>

<p>I would say to take PHL 206, though as a philosophy major I’m biased. However, I have heard wonderful things about the professor and the class is supposed to be relatively easy. I also think it would be the all-around most useful class.</p>

<p>Honors Deductive Logic (or the non-honors version) should be taken by every student. There are concepts learned in that class that will have wide applications throughout a student’s academic life and in real life.</p>

<p>My older son took the class, and then was a TA for it for 3 semesters. My younger son is taking it this Fall. Dr Alter or Dr. Wrenn are really good profs for this class.</p>

<p>Thanks, Mom2ck! She added that. Hopefully she can get IHP 155 2nd semester.
I just needed to check locations to make sure she can get where she needs to be in the 10 minutes between classes. Did your sons like taking back to back classes with a 10 minute break in-between? Or did they like a larger amount of time between classes? My D asked a few of the Avantis and they each had a different answer. We also got different answers about if she should bring a printer to college and a bike.</p>

<p>Did your sons like taking back to back classes with a 10 minute break in-between</p>

<p>They liked both. They didn’t mind having a couple of “back to back” classes, and then a break. They also liked to plan the break when the next class would be a distance.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that IHP 105 and 155 are basically the same course, the main difference being that IHP 105 is also open to non-freshmen.</p>

<p>“My D asked a few of the Avantis and they each had a different answer. We also got different answers about if she should bring a printer to college and a bike.”</p>

<p>You’re going to get differing opinions from everyone in part due to their own personal experience and in part because of the answer they think you want. As far as bringing a bike, she can always rent a bike on campus. If she is an experienced rider, it may be worth bringing a bike. If she is not, I wouldn’t bring it. While bringing a printer is not necessary, it will be very helpful at a minimal expense. Again, this is all personal preference. When considering whether to schedule classes back to back or with a considerable break you should consider the length of the classes, walking distance, time of day, and the possibility of needing a restroom break, meal, or study time. Also be mindful of her learning style and preferences…is she okay with sitting in the back of a lecture hall? Those who like to sit up front won’t find a seat with classes back to back. These things will also vary from person to person.</p>

<p>When scheduling classes close together you should also keep in mind the the type of class…students who arrive late for Chem lab won’t be allowed in lab and take a zero. If it is hot, it isn’t likely you’ll want to wear long pants for the rest of the day as required for Chem lab and sometimes it is nice to be able to shower after lab so you don’t smell like chemicals for the rest of the day. It won’t be an issue in some other classes if a student is late.</p>

<p>Well, I don’t think PHIL 106 will work. It’s at Ten Hoor Hall and Spanish is at BB Comer. Could D make that in 10 minutes?</p>

<p>There is an Honors Psychology Online course with openings? Does anyone have insight into that class?</p>

<p>I can only tell you that although the Psychology class isn’t difficult, there is quite a bit of reading and memorization involved. Our oldest daughter took Psychology as a traditional brick and mortar class but she and our middle daughter have taken an online class. Both of them did well in the classes they took, but it requires lots of discipline and setting aside time as if attending class. That can be particularly difficult for a freshman adjusting to life on campus. I wouldn’t really recommend taking Psychology online personally.</p>

<p>My daughter’s class also required participation in research which can be difficult to schedule around classes. Keep that in mind when looking at a potential schedule.</p>

<p>For what it’s worth, I’m doing that same thing. Except I have CH 101 at 9:00-9:50 and PHL 106 at 10:00-10:50.</p>

<p>*CHI 101, as in Chinese</p>

<p>I think D will keep the Phil 106 if people on here think she can make it from BB Comer to Ten Hoor in 10 minutes. Doe profs often keep you longer than the allotted time? </p>

<p>XXjcatmufasaXX, I think that it’s great you are taking Chinese. I guess my D and you will be Logic classmates!</p>

<p>Well, I don’t think PHIL 106 will work. It’s at Ten Hoor Hall and Spanish is at BB Comer. Could D make that in 10 minutes?</p>

<p>Oh yes…that’s not too far a distance at all. When my son was the TA for 106, he had to get from the other side of the quad to Ten Hoor all the time. Ten Hoor to BB Comer is probably 5 minutes.</p>

<p>Also…the really great thing about Philosophy Deductive Logic is that there isn’t a final…AND…if you work ahead, you can take the tests when you’re ready and finish the whole class long before the semester ends. Some kids finish with the class by about mid-semester.</p>

<p>Mom2collegekids, I am watching these threads carefully. I have a rising junior and we are coming to Bama in August to tour. I didn’t discover the school until late last spring when NMF DS had already settled on USC. DD will probably not make NMSF but has a good shot at the 2/3 or full tuition. We have reservations for the tour and info session. I recall you saying something about an Honors College tour. How do we sign up for that?</p>

<p>My real question on this thread through does relate to the topic though! Are there a lot of online classes at Bama? We have quite a few in our high school and I am not a big fan of them. I would prefer the more traditional setting for my DD.</p>

<p>The online classes are just an additional option in most cases to the traditional brick and mortar classes. Some of the online classes are now only available to distance learning students.</p>

<p>My kids only took one online class while at Bama…a one credit engineering drawing class. Most classes are traditional. There are some online options for Distance Learners or for campus students that prefer an online class.</p>

<p>I imagine that many/most students graduate without ever taking an online class. </p>

<p>* We have reservations for the tour and info session. I recall you saying something about an Honors College tour. How do we sign up for that?*</p>

<p>Send an email to Allison and Susan…</p>

<p>In the email include:</p>

<p>Student’s name and contact info</p>

<p>Date and time of the Campus tour that you’ve reserved.</p>

<p>GPA and test scores (include likely NMSF if applicable)</p>

<p>Likely majors*</p>

<p>Career interests (including med, law, etc)</p>

<p>Anything particular that you want to see. *If you have an interest in seeing the new Science and Engineering Complex, let them know.</p>

<p>Honors Recruitment
Allison Verhine
Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Allison and her assistant will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with eng’g faculty, honors people, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Sometimes mail goes to their SPAM folders, so call them if you haven’t heard back within a few business days. These ladies do an excellent job and work very hard</p>

<p>Thank you mom2collegekids and Bama girls! I am glad to hear online is just an option! I will email Allison or Susan tomorrow!</p>