Any engineering students? Advice please

<p>My D will be an incoming freshman in the Fall and an EE major. Because of AP credits and dual enrollment credits she will not start with the typical Chem 101 and Calc 1. She also has credit for English 101 and 102. </p>

<p>Instead her schedule might be:</p>

<p>Physics 105; Math 126 (Calc 2); CBH 101; ENGR 111; ENGR 131. </p>

<p>Problem: It’s only 14 hours. Does that matter? Is the course load too hard anyway? What would be an appropriate extra course? Could she also take the spring courses of ECE 121 and ECE 131? That would make it 16 hours. Are they time-consuming or super difficult?</p>

<p>You forgot Alabama Action (which is 1 hr)</p>

<p>^^Ha! Ha! That is true.</p>

<p>How about a humanities course? Intro to Fine Arts, with the section limited to engineering majors, was a great course that son took with a very similar schedule to your daughter’s. It was around 25 students, all engineering majors. Great class!</p>

<p>Does she like the Humanities at all? D was a big fan of her Freshman Seminars that she took last year. Small classes (15 or less) with fantastic instructors. There’s such a wide variety of topics.</p>

<p>Common Book Experience classes are 1 credit: <a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/uploads/forms/Current%20Students/One%20Credit%20Courses%20for%20First%20Year%20Students.pdf[/url]”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/uploads/forms/Current%20Students/One%20Credit%20Courses%20for%20First%20Year%20Students.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Honors Freshman Seminars (UH155) are 3 credits and start on page 9 here: <a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/uploads/forms/Current%20Students/honorscourses_interim_summer_fall2011.pdf[/url]”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/uploads/forms/Current%20Students/honorscourses_interim_summer_fall2011.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Common book exper is a good idea. I wouldn’t add spring engg classes. A uhp class is a good idea.</p>

<p>My son loved his Common Book Experience class that he took as a freshman (Sea_tide was in his class). The professor was from the English department, and she was outstanding. He wrote a couple of short papers for her, along with participating in the class discussions.</p>

<p>My D wants to thank you all for your help, and she’s decided to take m2ck’s and RobD’s advice and take a seminar, since they’re for freshmen only and she has no incoming humanities credits. </p>

<p>But that still leaves an issue come spring term. The reason she wanted to take those spring ENGR courses was so she could get ahead and keep her workload down to 17 hours (with CBHP 102). Now she’s set up to have a 20 hour semester and she knows that is too much. Is there any way around this new problem?</p>

<p>Oh sorry let me show you what her spring schedule would be:
General Physics with Cal II (4 hours)
Calculus III (4 hours)
Applied Matrix Theory (3 hours)
Fundamentals of ECE I (1 hour)
Fundamentals of ECE II (1 hour)
Engineering Construction and Design II (1 hour)
Fundamental Engineering Graphics (1 hour)
CBH 102 (4 hours? DD said she saw it counted as 3 somewhere so we aren’t sure)</p>

<p>So the problem here is this is too heavy of a courseload for a freshman, but she can’t put any of these classes off because most of them are freshmen spring classes (except for the math and physics) We’re really unsure of how to fix this. We hoped her APs would fix this but it’s hard to stick the the flowchart sometimes.</p>

<p>As a side question, DD asks if perhaps waiting until sophomore year to take Applied Matrix Theory. It’s a corequisite to Calc III and she wants to keep all her maths and sciences at the same level, but she’s just trying to keep her hours down to something reasonable. </p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>My son, who is a math major, says to wait on applied matrix theory (which is linear algebra) until your sophomore year. Also, check with Mrs. Batson to see which one of the freshman engineering classes is covered by CBHP. </p>

<p>CBHP becomes a 3-hour class as a sophomore.</p>

<p>momreads: Thank you, I’ll tell D to hold off on Matrix Theory. </p>

<p>All: We are having a hard time knowing how to stick with the EE schedule when D comes in with a few of the credits. What did your students do? Can the corequisites be taken in different semesters? </p>

<p>Has anyone taken the following courses and can speak to what is expected of the student? Papers, study groups, tests, lots of problem sets, labs?</p>

<p>ENGR 111: Engineering for the Future (1 hour)
ENGR 131: Engineering Construction and Design I (1 hour)
ECE 121: Fundamentals of ECE I (1 hour)
ECE 131: Fundamentals of ECE II (1 hour)
ENGR 141: Engineering Construction and Design II (1 hour)
ENGR 151:Fundamental Engineering Graphics (1 hour)</p>

<p>Thank you to everyone who posted. I appreciate the help.
CF123</p>

<p>14 hours is perfectly fine for a first-semester freshman. Calculus, physics (remember there’s a lab imbedded) and CBH are intensive courses.</p>

<p>Just asked son about these classes. Engr 151, the graphics class, only meets once, and then the remainder of the class is done online. You can’t register for anything else at that time, though, but at least you’ll have more free time that day than you expect to have.</p>

<p>While CBH 101 is an intensive class, the second semester is even more intensive, a lot more work. Son is still working on the spring project. I would definitely look at lightening the load for spring semester and add what I could to fall semester to balance things out.</p>

<p>CBHers are exempt from ENGR 141, if that helps you. You can take the class if you want to, though. </p>

<p>Son’s friends who were not in CBH took some of the freshman or other honors seminars classes. There was some reading and paper writing involved, so they’re not Easy A’s. Great thing about Bama is that there is a wide variety to choose from to fulfill your core curriculum that you don’t satisfy with APs.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>my daughter said that 151 was not as described as above for her, so maybe it varies by teacher. IIRC on the schedule it meets twice per week, once in the day and once in the evening, but they were never required to go to the daytime class, only the evening class.</p>

<p>according to my daughter, most of the freshman engineering classes are pretty easy, and they give a lot of extra credit.</p>

<p>she also said the honors 141 was easier than the non honors version.</p>

<p>and try to get in some of the honors hours now, as it becomes more difficult to do so farther down the line.</p>

<p>Thank you for the advice about ENGR 151 and the fact that ENGR 141 isn’t required for CBH folks.</p>

<p>D is making an enormous spreadsheet with nearly all of her choices. I personally find it all overwhelming. </p>

<p>So her class schedule looks like this:</p>

<p>Calc 2
Physics 105
ENGR 111
ENGR 131 (trying to get the honors section)
CBH 101
UHP elective ( trying for Arts and Parody or Classics and Western Culture)</p>

<p>Agree with waiting for Applied Matrix Theory for soph year.</p>

<p>CBH is 4 credits for each frosh semester. It’s 3 credits for each semester for soph year on.</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>Any opinions on the following physics professors? Looked on rate my professors. Either no info or not enough to make any kind of determination. This is for Physics 105.</p>

<p>James Harrell
Dawn Williams
Rainer Schad</p>

<p>cuttlefish - maybe your DD and my DD should get together! haha! mine did the same thing when she got home this semester, except she used post-it notes instead of a spreadsheet. </p>

<p>: )</p>

<p>My son had Dawn Williams. Recommended by another CC member. Did very well in her class. You will have to work hard no matter who your teacher in Physics. Son and his buddies went to Paty often for homework help. Oh, yes, that is a requirement for freshman engineering, to go to Paty for I think an hour a week for study time. You’re not monitored, as in, they don’t make sure you’re doing homework/studying while you’re there, but it is a good place to go for help with engineering and related courses.</p>

<p>Son’s friend not in CBH took the Classics and Western Culture course. He enjoyed it, though he did have to read a lot and write papers. He got a B+ in the course, which was one of his better grades that semester, so I think he did pretty well in it. If your daughter has taken Latin or Greek in high school, she might enjoy the class. Instead of reading Homer in Latin, you’ll be reading it in English. They also read Dante’s Inferno and other classics. It is not a fluff course, though. On teacher recommendations for Fine Arts/English classes, my son really enjoyed his class with Jessica Kidd, the Fine Arts for Engineers class. She may teach other classes that your daughter is looking at, and he would recommend her as a teacher as well.</p>