Schedule help?

<p>I’ll throw this out to m2ck and all the other helpful folks here. S will be honors EE major entering with the following credits:</p>

<p>AP Euro History (HY 101 and HY 102, 6 credits)
AP US History (HY 203 and HY 204, 6 credits)
AP English Comp (EN 101 and EN 102, 6 credits)
AP Physics B (PH 101 and PH 102, 8 credits)
AP Physics C (PH 105 and PH 106, 8 credits)
AP Calc BC (MATH 125 and MATH 126, 8 credits)
AP Spanish (SP 101, 4 credits)
PLTW Principles of Engineering
PLTW Civil Engineering and Architecture
PLTW Computer Integrated Manufacturing
(not sure how the Project Lead the Way credits are applied)</p>

<p>What would be a good recommended schedule for his first semester?</p>

<p>PLTW Principles of Engineering
PLTW Civil Engineering and Architecture
PLTW Computer Integrated Manufacturing
(not sure how the Project Lead the Way credits are applied)
</p>

<p>check here to see how those credits will apply… Do you have university course numbers for those from the school that granted the credits? If so, you may be able to plug those in…
[Transfer</a> Credit | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/services/transfer-credit/]Transfer”>Transfer Credit – The Office of the University Registrar – The University of Alabama | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>If you can’t figure that out, then I would send an email to Dr. David Cordes - Director of the Freshman Engineering Program and ask how those are applied. </p>

<p>Cordes, David 205-348-6363 <a href=“mailto:David.Cordes@ua.edu”>David.Cordes@ua.edu</a> </p>

<p>He’ll likely have to take the Freshman Engineering Program unless his PLTW classes sub for those (although I think taking at least one FEP class is an ice-breaker for making new Eng’g friends… :slight_smile: )</p>

<p>He can start with …</p>

<p>Any FEP classes that he still needs
Cal III
Gen Chem I
Maybe a Fine Arts honors course? Like Honors Fine Arts and Parody?</p>

<p>If he has space in his schedule, I think he should take one of those honors Common Book Experiences (I think they’re for one credit). This class and the fine arts class are great for making new friends and getting some honors credits.</p>

<p>Is he doing Outdoor Action or Alabama Action?</p>

<p>Not doing OA or AA.</p>

<p>Core Curriculum – College of Engineering
Applicable to students who begin their college careers fall 1998 and after</p>

<p>To achieve a general education while pursuing a specific degree program in the College of Engineering, each undergraduate student enrolled in the college will construct a curriculum that includes course work in the following areas:</p>

<p>Six semester hours of written composition (FC).</p>

<p>**Completed with AP English</p>

<p>Six semester hours in 300-and 400-level courses, preferably in the student’s major, approved for the writing (W) designation. The (W) designation indicates that one of the conditions for a passing grade is that students write coherent, logical, and carefully edited prose in a minimum of two papers, at least one of which will be graded and returned before mid-semester. All (W) designated courses are taught and graded by instructors who have at least the master’s degree and preferably are limited to an enrollment of no more than 35 students. The (W) requirement must be satisfied with courses taken on this campus.</p>

<p>** Still needs</p>

<p>Nine semester hours of humanities, literature, and fine arts (HU, L, & FA) area courses, six semester hours are required in a discipline (EH, PHL, for example). A six-hour depth (or sequence) study is required and may be taken in either HU, L, & FA or HI & SB. There are no mandatory general education requirements for literature or fine arts except as required for a specific engineering program.</p>

<p>** 4 credits of Spanish</p>

<p>** I think he needs 5 more credits here???</p>

<p>Nine semester hours of courses in the areas of history and social and behavioral sciences (HI & SB) , to include six semester hours in a discipline (HY, EC, for example). A six-hour depth study is required and may be taken in either HU, L, & FA or HI & SB. History may be included in depth courses.</p>

<p>*<em>6 credits from AP Euro
*</em>6 credits from AP US</p>

<p>** Sequence complete with AP History</p>

<p>Twelve semester hours of natural sciences (N) and mathematics (MA) area courses to include eight semester hours of calculus-based physics, including two hours of laboratory; and mathematics at the MATH 125 level and higher.</p>

<p>** 16 credits with AP Physics
** 8 credits with AP Cal BC
(but still needs more science for major, I think…Gen Chem??)</p>

<p>Either six hours of foreign language (FL) or computer (C) are required in addition to the humanities requirement. FL can count as HU credit if six hours of C courses are earned.
Pre-professional, major, and/or elective courses applicable to the student’s declared major program of study. Students are to consult with their major department/program area for specific course designations that fulfill this requirement.</p>

<p>** He’ll have C req’ts in his major, I think. </p>

<p>A course may be used to satisfy only one core requirement. For example: if a course carries a designation for both foreign language (FL) and humanities (HU) , it may only be used to satisfy one of the requirements. An additional course or courses must be completed to satisfy the remaining requirement.</p>

<p>Home » Core Curriculum » Core Curriculum – College of Engineering</p>

<p>Flowchart for EE
<a href=“http://ece.eng.ua.edu/files/2012/02/EE_Flowchart_Spring_2012.pdf[/url]”>http://ece.eng.ua.edu/files/2012/02/EE_Flowchart_Spring_2012.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>The below is from the current Undergrad Catalog which is being updated. The FEP program replaces the GES (and I think the DR) classes shown below.</p>

<p>FRESHMAN YEAR
First Semester Hours

CH 101 General Chemistry I (N) 4
DR 100 Engineering Sketching 1 (replaced by ENGR 151???)
EN 101 English Composition I (FC) 3
GES 131 Foundations Engineering I 2 (replaced by FEP)
History (HI) or social and behavioral sciences (SB) elective1,3 3
MATH 125 Calculus I (MA) 4

Second Semester *
ECE 125 Fundamentals of Electrical and Computer Engineering 2
EN 102 English Composition II (FC) 3
Humanities (HU), literature (L), or fine arts (FA) elective1,3 3
MATH 126 Calculus II (MA) 4
PH 105 General Physics with Calculus I (N) 4

SOPHOMORE YEAR

First Semester *
CS 160 Computer Science Concepts 1
ECE 285 Programming for ECE 3
MATH 227 Calculus III (MA) 4
MATH 237 Applied Matrix Theory (MA) 3
PH 106 General Physics with Calculus II (N) 4

Second Semester *
CS 351 Computer Science Programming III 2
ECE 225 Electric Circuits 3
ECE 380 Digital Logic 4
MATH 238 Applied Differential Equations I (MA) 3
PH 253 Introduction to Modern Physics (N) 3

• </p>

<p>**Freshman Engineering Program **</p>

<p>The FEP engineering course sequence:</p>

<p>ENGR 111: Engineering the Future
A discipline-specific 121 course: Introduction to the discipline
ENGR 131: Engineering Concepts and Design I
ENGR 141: Engineering Concepts and Design II
ENGR 151: Fundamental Engineering Graphics</p>

<p>The discipline-specific introductory course is designed to provide an in-depth understanding of a specific field within engineering. Each department provides a 1-hour introductory course. Some departments have a second 1-hour course that provides additional information regarding that specific discipline.</p>

<p>COURSE OVERVIEW
ENGR 111 provides students with insights regarding the problems and tasks that engineers will confront in future years. Providing an overview to the engineering and computer science professions, it focuses on the challenges facing society (environmental, energy, medical, computational, etc.) and the roles that engineering computer science play in addressing these challenges.</p>

<p>ENGR 131 and 141 focus on ensuring that all students entering their sophomore year of engineering studies have the basic skills necessary to successfully complete these foundational courses. Both courses are structured as a once-a-week three-hour laboratory experience, providing plenty of time for hands-on activities.</p>

<p>ENGR 151 uses pencil-and-paper techniques to understand the basics of graphical communication. It consists of a series of online modules (lectures) plus a weekly recitation section where students apply the principles covered in the online modules.</p>

<p>ENGR 142 is a course designed for students with a 28 or higher on the ACT (or 1240 or higher on the SAT) who also have AP Physics credit. It covers the content of ENGR 131 and 141 in one course. Students successfully completing the course receive one hour of credit for ENGR 142 plus one additional hour of ENGR credit. It is similar to taking EN 103 and getting credit for EN 101 and EN 102.</p>

<p>You need to be an engineer just to understand all this.</p>

<p>lol…well, it may seem that way, but really, for the first semester, if your son takes…</p>

<p>whatever FEP classes he needs to take
Gen Chem
Cal III
Something that goes towards the HU, LIT, FA core req’t (preferable honors)
And maybe an honors Common Book Experience (I think 1 credit of HU???)</p>

<p>Then he’ll have a fine fall frosh schedule. :)</p>

<p>^ that’s the simple advice I was looking for. </p>

<p>Wish you would be at BB so I could meet you and thank you in person.</p>

<p>FALL Honors College classes on page 3 of this link</p>

<p><a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/uploads/forms/Current%20Students/honorscourses_interim_summer_fall2012.pdf[/url]”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/uploads/forms/Current%20Students/honorscourses_interim_summer_fall2012.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Below are just a very small example of some of the Honors course offerings that might work out… *There are many others (see above link…starting on page 3)</p>

<p>HONORS SURVEY:MORAL FORUM (HU) (3 credits)
Moral Forum: This course is primarily concerned with developing the skills to evaluate and respond to moral claims and engage</p>

<p>in moral discourse. To these ends, this class will be organized around the analysis of one particular controversial “moral” resolution which changes each semester. In teams of two, students will conduct research, attend a 6-part lecture series and a weekly breakout session; and construct position statements, in preparation for a Moral Forum debate tournament taking place at the end of the semester with scholarship money presented to the top participants. (3 hrs)</p>

<p>HONORS SURVEY: EDUCATION THROUGH ARTS (HU) (3 credits) Engaging in Education Through The Arts
UH 101 021 47668 T, R 09:30 – 10:45</p>

<p>In this course, students will gain a better understanding of current education trends with emphasis on engagement in arts education. As a service component of this class, students will work with local high school students, teaching basic photography and film making techniques and collaboratively producing short films. This course will stress the connections between theory and practice as well as provide technical knowledge about basic photography, digital storytelling and filmmaking techniques. The combination of theory, application and technical skills will give students the practical knowledge they need to plan their own future individual initiative for change.</p>

<p>(THE NEXT 3 CLASSES ARE FROSH COMMON BOOK EXPERIENCES)</p>

<p>HONORS EXPLORATIONS (1 credit)
Book: Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky</p>

<p>UH 120 006 48078 F 03:00-5:00</p>

<p>This course is devoted to reading and discussing Fyodor Dostoevsky’s masterpiece The Brothers Karamazov, a book that arguably might be the greatest novel ever written. Meeting schedule: 8/24, 9/7, 9/14, 9/28, 10/5, 10/12,</p>

<p>HONORS EXPLORATIONS (1 credit) Book: Cognitive Surplus by Clay Shirky</p>

<p>UH 120 007 46595 T 04:00-6:00 Aldridge, W. 123 BD</p>

<p>This book is recommended for anyone who wants to understand the social media and mass collaboration phenomenon. This book is strongly recommended as a first book to start reading about social media. Shirky argues persuasively that this cognitive surplus- rather than being some strange new departure from normal behavior-actually returns our society to forms of collaboration that were natural to us up through the early twentieth century. He also charts the vast effects that our cognitive surplus-aided by new technologies-will have on twenty-first-century society. Meeting schedule: 9/11, 9/18, 9/25, 10/2, 10/9, 10/16, 10/23</p>

<p>HONORS EXPLORATIONS (1 credit)
Book: The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You by John C. Maxwell</p>

<p>UH 120 008 46596 R 05:00-07:00 DeFrance, J. 231 GP</p>

<p>Revealing, analyzing and capitalizing on our individual abilities as new leaders on campus and in the surrounding community through the readings of Maxwell. Evaluating our personal talents, interests and strengths will help us set goals for who we want to become and how we will attain those goals through leadership.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>FRESHMAN SEMINAR: Judicial Procedure (HU) (3 credits)
UH 155 001 43228 T, R 09:30 – 10:45 Watkins, J 283 NT
Course content includes legal reasoning, court structures, trial procedures, the jury and jury trials, legal education, the structure of the legal profession, criminal procedure and criminal punishment, including the capital punishment question.</p>

<p>FRESHMAN SEMINAR: International War Crimes (HU) (3 credits)
UH 155 002 43384 T, R 11:00 – 12:15 Watkins, J 292 NT</p>

<p>Course covers international war crime trials from WW-I through recent U.S Supreme Court decisions after 9/11 to include emphasis on the Nuremberg Trials and the Tokyo trials after WW-II, Vietnam, the Balkan Cases and the international terrorism issue as well as the formation of the International Criminal Court in l998. NOTE: Course open to UHP ENTERING FRESHMEN ONLY.</p>

<p>HONORS CLASSICS AND WESTERN CULTURE I (HU) (3 credits)
UH 201 002 47407 T, R 12:30-1:45 Tuggle, B 173 NT</p>

<p>This course explores some of the early foundational texts of Western literature and philosophy. It focuses on major contributions from Greek, Roman, Hebraic, and Christian cultures. Readings may include selections from Homer, Aeschylus, Plato, the Bible, Virgil, Augustine, and Dante.</p>

<p>HONORS FINE ARTS (FA) (3 credits)
Arts and Parody</p>

<p>UH 210 001 42246 M, W, F 11:00 – 11:50 Cary, L 283 NT UH 210 002 42247 T, R 11:00 – 12:15 Cary, L 283 NT</p>

<p>Arts and Parody will explore both parodies and the works parodied, using examples from literature, music, the visual arts, and architecture in an attempt to define parody as a genre.</p>

Behind the British Mask
UH 210 003 42248 T, R 08:00 – 09:15 Florey, B 283 NT</p>

<p>We will examine the role British theatre has played in British culture and in American society. Because London is the theatre capital of the world, we will explore the political and cultural elements in modern British drama, emphasizing its artistic and creative components. Students will discuss plays, view clips, write critical analyses (or an original work), and attend a University of Alabama play. Some of the plays we’ll read include Copenhagen, Billy Elliot, Take Me Out, Frozen, and two plays from the Fall 2010 London theater season.</p>

<p>HONORS FINE ARTS (FA) (3 credits) The Arts of Tuscaloosa</p>

<p>Following a traditional honors methodology, we will take “the place as text” and immerse ourselves in the fine arts of the University and its community. Among genres studied will be architecture, painting, sculpture, gardens, music, theatre, dance, and literature. Students will be required to attend lectures by experts on art, to attend performances and exhibitions, to take walks and field trips, to read, to discuss, and to write. This course will be a delightful part of UA’s “Creative Campus” initiative.</p>

Alexander the Great
UH 210 010 44205 M 03:00-05:30 Summers, T 375 BD</p>

<p>Alexander’s expedition to the East was a major cultural event the effects of which still reverberate today. His long journey took him from Greece through modern Turkey, Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan and as far as the Hindu Kush mountain range (a sub-range of the Himalayas) and India. Encountering a foreign and strange world, he sought to comprehend it through his Western eyes. The same astonishment at the Greek culture he introduced to his subjects, the conquered people, overcame them as well, since most them came in contact with the Western civilization for the first time. Somehow Alexander managed not only to conquer the hostile terrain and its rough natives, but also to meld the two worlds and create an amalgamated culture, tolerable enough to the Eastern people of his empire. For an amazing 300 years after his death, the Greek culture remained in place under various Greek kings and dynasties. Many Western leaders have since tried to repeat Alexander’s conquest of these same people and the same geographical areas but without success. From the Romans, a major force in the Mediterranean after the 2nd century B.C., to the Russians and the Americans most recently, no foreign conqueror has been able to take control and maintain those parts of the world for any significant length of time. Comprehending the magnitude of Alexander’s achievement requires a close study of his legacy and the lingering effects his expedition has today. Our exploration of his expedition will aim at expounding his particular modus operandi and the reasons behind the failures of subsequent attempts along with his tremendous cultural impact in the East.</p>

Overview of Egyptian Culture
UH 210 019 49529 W 03:00-05:30 El-Karaksy, H. 375 BD</p>

<p>This course will provide an excellent learning experience for students of all majors. The students will have the opportunity to gain an understanding of the Egyptian civilization by examining and analyzing important topics including: economics, politics, culture, history, religion, demography, and geography. The course will focus on the influences of these topics on the development of Egypt, from past to present. The goal of the course is to provide insight into the seemingly complex culture of Egypt. The course content will incorporate lectures, guest speakers, class discussion, current events, educational videos, and student presentations.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>So the recommendation is to take calc 3. According to mybama, there is only one honors class given, and it already has 40 out of 41 spots full. For non honors, there are 10 classes, and only 21 spots out of 380 remain. Does this mean all calc 3 classes will be filled by his 5/31 Bama bound? If so, what should he do?</p>

<p>Even if he decides to take calc 2 instead, there are no honors classes given at all, and non honors only has 17 out of 240 spots left. What happens if there is no available math class for him to take?</p>

<p>^^Go back to Spring 2012 and see what the class sizes were. If they’re larger than what’s showing for Fall 2012, then they’re probably holding seats back until the freshmen start registering. At least that’s what I’m assuming is happening with Calc 2.</p>

<p>Classes last year were larger, so it would seem they will be adding spots before freshmen register (hopefully). When would we know this for sure? Need to know before heading down. </p>

<p>Last year showed the same 41 total spots for honors calc 3, of which 39 were filled. They’re already showing 40 of 41 filled for next fall. They don’t even offer honors calc 2. With the growth of the honors college, might they add more classes?</p>

<p>I thought they said they were holding classes for each Bama Bound session, otherwise we would have all sent our kids to the first one.</p>

<p>You could call or e-mail the math department and ask. I’ve e-mailed a dean at the business school and he was exceptionally helpful. And he got back to me way faster than my D’s HS guidance counselor ever has! Not bad for a large state school.</p>

<p>Does anyone know the difference in English 102 and English 103 in terms of the workload and difficulty?</p>

<p>Also, has anyone ttaken EN 102 online?</p>

<p>I thought they said they were holding classes for each Bama Bound session, otherwise we would have all sent our kids to the first one.</p>

<p>Bama doesn’t hold spots for ALL classes (which would be frosh, soph, jr, and senior classes). It holds back spots for FRESHMEN classes. That said, it sounds like they do hold back some Cal III classes, even tho that is a soph class. </p>

<p>English 103 is an honors combo of 101 and 102. I doubt that 103 is “harder” than 102 or requires more essays. 103 includes a review of what’s in 101, which 102 may not have.</p>

<p>103 is just a nice way for better students without AP English credits to do a 2 for 1.</p>