Any jobs for an rn/lpn that are similar to physical/occupational therapy?

Hello,
I am a 28 year old mom and have been working as an admin assistant for the past eight years. My current job is flexible as I work from home but I want personal growth and have always wanted to complete my studies as I am already done with most of all general courses.

I honestly don’t know exactly what I want to study, never truly have. All I know is I have a passion for arts but also have an interest in psychology and a part of health. I prefer going back to earn a degree in something that requires a degree or license. Also, preferably able to achieve with an associates and that doesn’t require a masters, so that I can use that as an opportunity for a back up job.

With that being said, I decided that a position in health care can open doors to that. I just want to stop thinking about what I want to study as I’ve done for the past years, and achieve something with possible job and financial stability.

I narrowed it down to OTA,RN,LPN.

I would have gone directly into OTA, but there is only one school in my area that offers it and it’s a day program (I work in the day full time) even then, I am considering it and perhaps work after school.

However, I do like the idea that rn/lpn have a variety of different options…I typed in “Rn/lpn” in Indeed and the amount of jobs is insane… that alone made me think this could possibly be a good back up. While, I admit that I don’t necessarily like the idea of working full time bedside manner like most hospital settings. I may see myself in a nursing home, or even l&d (maybe).

I honestly never thought about studying nursing, as a matter of fact prior to college, I always told myself working in a hospital is not for me. And even though there’s so many negative comments especially for those working in a hospital setting, it does seem like a rn/lpn may have a stable career with many different options.

Any feedback please?

Personally, I think nursing is a calling that requires an unusual level of commitment to make a success. I am only the mom of a nursing student, but I have seen and heard enough to be impressed with how hard nursing students - of any level and any school - work.

While not all nursing is bedside, that is usually the most popular route and where most of the jobs are. If you don’t like helping people in that manner, or touching them or dealing with gross stuff, you may want to re-think. Most nurses work in a hospital setting before going on to other specialties. And, bedside is where most of your clinicals will be.

The schooling is tough, whether it’s at a diploma program through a hospital or a BSN. You have to have some flexibility, especially when you get to clinicals or experience the time involved in studying. In some areas of the country there is a waiting list to get into even community college programs, which can be surprisingly competitive for nursing. And, to be an RN you still have to pass the licensing exam no matter where you live.

The further my daughter gets into her program, the more I am in awe of nurses.

Have you done any job shadowing? I know you are an adult, but my advice would be the same for you as a teen who is deciding about nursing - get out there and see for yourself. You could even volunteer for a bit to see if you like it.

Thank you, bearcatfan!

I am also at awe with the amount of work and commitment from nurses. Job shadowing/volunteer would be a great thing for me and probably the best thing for me at the moment since it would provide real life experience. Considering I still have to complete a few prereqs to even consider any type of program to get in, I am going to look into job shadowing in nursing,ota/pta.

I did notice many jobs outside of the hospital setting require clinical experience first, so even as a student like you mentioned I would always have to do some bedside care, which I wouldn’t mind.
You know what personally worries me about nursing, most would think the ‘gross/bloody’ aspect behind the job but I’m more afraid of not having the personality traits to be a nurse. For the past eight years I’ve worked from home as an admin assistant which has caused me some social/nervous anxiety issues, I’m also a bit of an introvert. Which go figure- are no traits for any health care career. But, a lot of that has to do with me working/being from home for so long, so I still have hopes to improve that. I am also worried that as a nurse I won’t have enough time for my family. A work life balance would be important to me. I am trying not to overthink that part because after all there’s a variety of shifts.

Even though I never thought of myself pursing a career in health care, there is one thing I know that I’ve always liked and it’s the therapeutic/psychological aspect of health care. Finding holistic and nutritional ways to improve our well being. That can easily fall under nurse but I wouldn’t say it’s exactly nursing. That’s why I was leaning more towards occupational/physical therapy assistant.

I’m going to sign up for job shadowing though, as I can’t think about this forever.

:slight_smile:

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/home.htm

Here’s info from the US Dept. of Labor on various health care occupations. Click on the links for more info.

Thank you Charlie, great info!