Any out of state students?

I was wondering if there were any out of state students attending UW Madison and if they had any advice?

Roughly 35-40% of the freshman class of 6000 students are OOS – what kind of advice are you looking for? There are parents of current students and grads on this Board, alums etc. Not many current students post here unless they are seniors applying to college.

http://apir.wisc.edu/admissions/New_Freshmen_Applicants.pdf

I was curious so I looked it up: for fall 2014, 59.9% of new freshmen are Wisconsin residents.

@abergirl10 What are your question? We can try to help you.

A good share of oos students are from Minnesota as they receive reciprocity.

2014 Freshmen (rounded):

59.9% WI
11.5% Minnesota
22.7% Other Domestic
6.0% International

Eons ago I was instate, son also was. Be sure to mingle with the locals. I had some good friends from OOS (who knows for son). It may be tempting to associate with people from your region but embrace the state you are in. I assume you are not from a bordering state where many students come from.

Learn about Wisconsin- especially where various bigger cites are geographically (eg Milwaukee, and Green Bay) relative to Madison. Learn that it’s Monona, WI (suburb of Madison and name of one of its 4 lakes) and not Winona, MN. Figure out where the Twin Cities- Minneapolis and St Paul, MN- are. Figure out where the Mississippi River is (borders WI/MN and WI/IA) and Chicago, IL. Learn your Great Lakes- which ones border WI and the states that border WI. Except for the UP of Michigan that state is a long way across a lake from WI. It is surprising how little people from either coast know about the Midwest (and yes, WI is in the Midwest like Indiana is). Some of my comments are because of past experiences with people not having a clue. Learning a bit will make it easier when you meet people. Do not hesitate to ask questions. I usually ask where a nearby big city is, or which part of the state a place is- even an instate student won’t have heard of most places.

btw- look at the academic calendar. If you need to fly home pay attention to break dates. Classes (and exams) are held the day before Thanksgiving- do not expect to skip classes that week. Consider O’Hare airport and a bus from campus to the airport. Or Midway in Chicago or Milwaukee’s airport for flights.

Relax about being in Wisconsin. Finally- be aware that a bubbler is a drinking/water fountain almost everywhere else.