Any point in asking UM for more money?

<p>UM is off my list based off the financial aid package they gave me, which includes just 25k in merit scholarship money + grants. Our EFC is around 12k, and UM's net price is 59k. 59k-25k=34k, way above our EFC. I know UM doesn't promise to meet 100% of need, but is it possible that I can convince them to give me more money if I write them a (nice, polite) letter detailing the extent of the discrepancy between our EFC and the cost of attendance? I've heard using other schools' superior fin aid offers as leverage can be effective... especially since I got a merit scholarship, I'm thinking maybe they'll up the $$ to hold onto me? Hopefully?</p>

<p>If the alternative is for you to cross UM off your list, I guess it can’t hurt to write such a letter - I’m sure there are examples of them on the net and perhaps your GC can suggest wording, etc.</p>

<p>I would go ahead and give it a whirl. As Zincwhiskers suggested above, I would be careful about the wording. You can be sure that they are interested in you attending because they offered you the merit award but you should be careful not to sound as if your entitled to more or that you are pitting them against other schools.</p>