Anyone gotten a booster shot?

Most people with both infection and vaccination are probably among the last people to need boosters, since the hybrid immunity from having both is generally the strongest.

The CDC eligibility guidelines are:

• First booster: 12 and older. Must be at least five months since primary series of Pfizer or Moderna, or two months since J&J.
  • Second booster: 50 and older, immunocompromised, or had (only) J&J twice. Must be at least four months since first booster, and must be Pfizer or Moderna.

Note that this leaves behind people under 50 who are not immunocompromised who got Jm or JP. I.e. they are still at two doses, even though a third dose would likely improve long term immunity over two doses (as it does for those who get PPP, PPm, MMm, MMP over PP, MM). People who got JJ are eligible so that they can get a third dose to get to JJm or JJP.

1 Like

She got her first booster last wednesday so she could attend.

1 Like

Which is even more crazy since it wouldn’t have done any good that close to the event.

I wish people could think things through rather than keeping everything “set.”

I hope she feels better, regardless of the cause.

1 Like

My understanding is that shots aren’t fully effective until 14 days after the shot.

Boosters are effective much faster than the original shots. That said, I agree that requiring a booster given her history seems like overkill. Hope she feels better soon.

I agree that scientifically a teens/young adults with prior covid infections don’t need boosters, but the organizers made the rules, adn if the teens and staff didn’t want to get the booster, they could decline. Not sure what the issue is

I got my booster yesterday (M, M, P, M). No side effects at all.

1 Like

A very strong pharmacist gave me a booster shot today and my arm is killing me. He must have shoved into my bone, causing me to yell “Ouch!”. My arm has been hurting since this morning. Glad I got it, though, as I may have to fly next week. Decided to get Pfizer after 3 Modernas.

That is very strange. Sorry that happened to you @toledo . I had Moderna all 4 times. Don’t recall any real pain from the injection itself, just some pain mostly the next day(which resolved fairly quickly).

1 Like

15 vials of blood left at the vaccine research site today

2 Likes

She was vaccinated in fall of 2020?? Do you mean 2021?

I got my booster on Monday (P,P,P,M), and I had a hard welt at the injection site and I feel like I have been lifting weights, even though I did nothing yesterday. But, really, I feel great.

1 Like

I get an Evusheld injection on Friday. Have had 3 full-dose M and 1 M booster. Will be eligible for 2nd M booster in mid-June.

5 Likes

So interesting to visit the US from Japan last week. Everyone in Japan is still wearing masks all the time, even outdoors, but in Ohio, they were almost nonexistent. We went with the flow and managed to pass both our pre-flight and post-flight tests on returning to Japan. I calculated I was 15 days shy of the first day on which I could obtain a second booster - unfortunately - but based on having the first booster, Japan is not requiring us to quarantine at all following our return. Being in the US has, I think, changed our feelings a bit, as we are thinking of visiting our local pizza place (outside terrace) tonight for the first time in two years.

6 Likes

I have had PPP, wondering if I should get M for 2nd booster. Has anyone done that? Would just one M be enough for diversity in immunity? Is it better to keep boosting P? I am also on the fence because I tend to be sensitive to meds and inactive ingredients and so far the P has been okay.

1 Like

I did PPP M. I had fewer symptoms afterward than I did with Pfizer.

Anecdote of one for you.

I also did PPPM. Didn’t have side effects with any of them beyond a slightly sore arm.

One study did find that MM gave a higher immune response in most areas than PP ( Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news] - #5260 by ucbalumnus ). This may be due to M’s higher mRNA dose than P. Note that the M-booster (or m) is half dose of M, but that is still a higher dose than P.

One study ( https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/scitranslmed.abm2311 ) did note some differences in types of immune response between MM and PP, so there may be some vaccine diversity benefit of a different booster between the two (but probably much smaller than with a different type of vaccine like J, but now that J is officially discouraged, that vaccine diversity is no longer available).

In this case, the risk of sensitivity to ingredients in m versus P would be a possible disadvantage of m that you need to consider against the possible advantages of m listed above.

I, H and my 92 year old mom had PPP M for potentially higher protection by mixing and matching. We all have few to no side effects from each shot.

I’m a PPPM person. I must say that as far as side effects go, they have increased with each shot. After my 1st Pfizer I had no side effects at all. A few weeks later I had the second Pfizer, and had a sore arm and felt lethargic. My third shot was a Pfizer booster and I was not well for 48 hrs. For my second booster I wend with Moderna and felt like I was hit by a bus for 3 days. YMMV.