Anything close to TexMex in Tuscaloosa?

<p>^^^What, a Chuy’s in Birmingham? I’ve got a conference there in January, and now I’m definitely going, and renting a car. Whenever I’m in Houston, I’ve got to get my Chuy’s fix. Elvis Presley Platter, Baby!</p>

<p>Hmm, I am thinking maybe the condo we have rented for the weekend might be the perfect tailgating spot for all this goodness :slight_smile: txbamamom, come on over</p>

<p>THE CHUY’S??? IN Birmingham, AL??? Seriously? This is not a prank of some sick nature?</p>

<p>DD assured me that she would know a guy was THE ONE when he took her to dinner at Chuy’s in Birmingham.</p>

<p>It is THAT important.</p>

<p>I have yet to try Moe’s or Chipotle or Iguana Grill or any of the other Mexican places in town, but I have to admit, we do stop at the Taco Casa on North River when we visit the storage unit at the beginning and end of the year. I will miss that place.</p>

<p>LOL TXA!!! </p>

<p>Taco Casa for some sweet tea that is sure to send anyone into a diabetic fit. That stuff is good! Chipotle is not even “Mexican food”. Moe’s is okay but still, nope. Got to have the real deal. Dinner tonight was some Bob Armstrong Dip, beef tenderloin fajitas with rice and beans and a Matt’s margarita on the rocks. Mmmmmm! Even a Taco Cabana with some of the best breakfast tacos would be great to have there.</p>

<p>That’s Dr. TXArchitect. </p>

<p>I hold a Ph.D. In Statistics.</p>

<p>Or you can simply genuflect and kiss my ring.</p>

<p>I find either perfectly acceptable…</p>

<p>Lol</p>

<p>Anything close to brats in Tuscaloosa? I can’t go more than a few days without a good brat.</p>

<p>Chuy’s is at The Summit in B’ham</p>

<p>Don’t know of a restaurant that sells brats. Are they similar to Polish? Try “Taste of Chicago”…
<a href=“http://www.atasteofchitown.com/Menu.html[/url]”>http://www.atasteofchitown.com/Menu.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I was just kidding, but it looks like you can find everything. People love their brats in WI!</p>

<p>My boss is from Chicago. He said if I go to Taste of Chicago I should ask for a gimme a PoSaus, wash it down with a really cold Old Style, and try not to dribble on my Bears jacket.</p>

<p>If I need heartburn this weekend, I’ll no wear to go.</p>

<p>This thread made me laugh. I think my son gets homesick for Tex-Mex more than anything else. He found a place in Northport that gets him by, but I wasn’t impressed. I dont remember the name of the place, it was not worth remembering. The Chuy’s in Birmingham has turned into a must everytime we trip to Alabama. The sweet tea comment tickled me too. I found In Tuscaloosa, if you order iced tea, you get sweet tea. you have to ASK for unsweet tea!</p>

<p>Especially with the ever growing population of students who grew up eating more TexMex than southern comfort food, I always wondered why there wasn’t authentic taco truck near the UA campus. Bama Dining’s version doesn’t qualify as Mexican or TexMex IMHO. </p>

<p>For good TexMex, I highly suggest mailing your students ingredients and having them make their own food. I received multiple care packages with tortilla chips, seasonings, sauces, and salsas. There is a Hispanic food store on 15th Street which may have some items.</p>

<p>When researching where to live after graduation from UA, availability of ones favorite cuisine can be an important consideration. For Mexican or TexMex cuisine, states such as TX, CA, AZ, NM, CO, UT, NV, and WA can be good choices, though one will also find good tasting versions of popular dishes in other states.</p>

<p>This is going to be such a hectic weekend anyway…we brought him chips and salsa from El Fenix and a peanut butter cake…that should hold him till he gets home. When he gets back to Texas in December we will hit a couple of his favorite places.</p>