What stores/restaurants would you like to see come to T-Town

<p>I was thinking of compiling a list of requests and sending it to the mayor of T-town. I know that the mayor of my city always wants to bring in new business.</p>

<p>So… what would you like to have in T-Town?</p>

<p>Be reasonable…if it’s a chain, it probably has to be one that either already is in Alabama or is in a city close to Alabama (since chains don’t usually venture too far from existing stores)</p>

<p>Name the company and where the nearest one is. </p>

<p>I’ll start…</p>

<p>Restaurants:</p>

<p>Panda Express (national chain. Don’t know where the closest one is…I think Atlanta)</p>

<p>Steak and Shake (Midwest chain that is in many Alabama cities)</p>

<p>Cheddars (Texas chain that is already in Alabama…one is in Huntsville.)</p>

<p>Cheesecake Factory (one in B’ham)</p>

<p>Stores:</p>

<p>Bed, Bath, and Beyond (already in the state…one in B’ham)</p>

<p>IMHO we need an upscale Steakhouse either on The Strip (preferably) or downtown. An independent or a chain like Ruth’s Chris would do great in the spot where the old Booth used to be.</p>

<p>Is there a Pei Wei in Ttown? If not, that is one of our faves and I think it would do well in any college town - fast, fresh, and inexpensive.</p>

<p>We like Pei Wei…I think that is owned by P.F. Changs…which would also do well in T-Town. </p>

<p>There’s a P.F. Changs in Huntsville and B’ham.</p>

<p>Where is the nearest Pei Wei to T-town?</p>

<p>This thread caught me by surprise and is so coincidental that it was started today. Having just returned from Tuscaloosa on Monday after visiting our two students (daughter and son ran in the Mercedes Marathon) and scouting business locations in Tuscaloosa, my wife and I are pretty jazzed about putting a business in Tuscaloosa. Not sure where yet, as we are in the beginning stages of working with the area chamber. </p>

<p>Can’t say a whole lot at this time about the type of business, other than it will be in the food industry, and will not be a franchise. </p>

<p>I’ll be watching this thread to see if there are suggestions that match what we are about to embark on. </p>

<p>AND OF COURSE YOU ALL WILL BE INVITED TO OUR GRAND OPENING! OR WHENEVER YOU ARE IN TOWN, COME IN FOR A COMPLIMENTARY ???</p>

<p>BBfromNC–yummm! How about authentic non-chain pizza, like the kind we used to get in the Boston area (two brothers from Greece or Sicily, in a teeny little hole-in-the-wall --mmmm, can’t beat it!).</p>

<p>Speaking of Greece–how about a Greek restaurant? Souvlaki, spanikopita, moussaka…I am getting hungry!</p>

<p>I think there is a Greek restaurant in Ttown…but, another would be fine.</p>

<p>I REALLY think a 24 hour restaurant near campus would be great. That is why I suggested Steak N Shake…always opened. </p>

<p>As for locations… I noted on another thread that some condos or apts are going in on the south side (Bama side) of the river…right along The RiverWalk. Surely, T-town plans to develop that area even more to make it kind of a relaxing destination for those in T-town. Certainly, some kind of dining venue would work well there. Perhaps something that had both “take out” and “dine in” service. </p>

<p>In Calif, there are restaurants called Pasta Bravo…they are very casual pasta & salad places. You order at a register and then sit down and eat (to keep costs waaay down). You also refill your own beverage. Menus are simple…several pasta choices, a few salad choices, bread sticks, beverages…and some desserts… these places are very popular.</p>

<p>something like this would work well. Everyone likes pasta… :)</p>

<p>m2ck,
Second the 24 hours, S eats constantly particularly when he studies. </p>

<p>Not sure if T-town has any of these, let us know if they do</p>

<p>Pinkberry Yogurt - chain but not sure how national, or something like it. Fresh greekstyle frozen yogurt with tons of FRESH add ins, like 50 I think- mango, raspberries, bananas etc. I was addicted to the pumpkin yogurt with mango & raspberries this winter.</p>

<p>Robek’s smoothies - another chain. They have some healthy add-ins as well.</p>

<p>Five Guys Burgers, unless they have a Sonic. In and Out would be great but I don’t think that is out of CA. Now a 24 hour one of these with walking distance of the dorms would be great, or a traditional diner.</p>

<p>I’m not sure what is already in Tuscaloosa, but playing off what has already been mentioned (more than half of which I have never heard of), I’d love to see a Cheesecake Factory and a Bed, Bath, and Beyond.</p>

<p>Something open 24 hours would also be fantastic. Or even better, something that delivers 24 hours a day.</p>

<p>T-Town has 5 Guys :)</p>

<p>A Sonic would be good as well…don’t know if they’re 24 hours or not.</p>

<p>Pink Berry is national, but not in the state yet (I don’t think). It is in Georgia and Tenn, so it’s possible. It began in Calif.</p>

<p>Ooooh, 24-hour restaurant with all-day/night breakfast! There was a restaurant like that in Somerville, MA, near Tufts. Not a chain…in fact, it kind of catered to truckers (but cozy and nice inside, not like a Truck Stop). It had the yummiest breakfasts ever, which you could get anytime. My roommates and I used to go there for breakfast at 2 or 3 a.m. Those were the days! It had a full non-breakfast menu, too, of course – burgers, diner food, etc. Wonder whether it’s still there. PERFECT student hangout!</p>

<p>^ Definitely agree with the suggestion of all day/night breakfast! At the risk of sounding too much like a New Jerseyan, something like a diner. How about IHOP? Do they have those down south?</p>

<p>I have noticed that any food place that is within walking distance to the stadium and greek houses tend to do very well.</p>

<p>Yes, there is an IHOP, but not within walking distance to the school. You’d have to drive to it. </p>

<p>My son has spent many a late night in IHOP.</p>

<p>we really like raising cains. it started by lsu, i think. it is like guthries. a raising cains in or near the strip would do well i think.</p>

<p>i think one of those would do well by my house and would even consider opening one (thats how sure i am it would work here) but you have to have previous fast food experience to et a franchise.</p>

<p>i guess ruth chris might do ok, but that is not a restaurant that caters to the masses. what about something like texas roadhouse or logans. good food, reasonable prices.</p>

<p>Jamba Juice!!!</p>

<p>We used to have a 24/7 restaurant right on the strip that served breakfast at all hours. It was called Kwik Snak and I loved the place as a student in the early 90’s. All you old schoolers will remember ordering a “Starvin Marvin with tots”. </p>

<p>I agree that a place like that would be great to have back on the strip.</p>

<p>Logan’s are in Alabama, so that’s possible. </p>

<p>I would love for a Chevy’s Fresh Mex to open…they’re in Florida, but not in Alabama. Great blackened salsa and other good food.</p>

<p>The area could use more good Chinese restaurants…</p>

<p>m2ck: There’s a Sonic on Skyland, right off McFarland next to Taco Bell.</p>

<p>I’d kill for a Panda Express, but there aren’t any in Alabama, so it doesn’t seem like they’re looking to expand into that market just yet. The closest 24-hour food is the McDonald’s drive-through or frozen pizza from CVS. Taco Bell, Wendy’s, and the Buffalo Phil’s in Lakeside Dining are open late. I didn’t even know there was an IHOP…</p>