AP BC Calc and IB HL Math Credits

<p>Junior year I took AP BC Calc and received a 5/5 on the exam. I am now currently taking IB HL math and I have noticed that most of the colleges I am looking at say on their AP/IB charts that BC Calc and HL Math credits count towards the same classes. I am an AP student so I am not required to take the exam, so I was wondering if I should even waste my money on the exam this year or do I receive more credits if I pass, like to another math class or electives?</p>

<p>If I understood you correctly, by exam you mean the IB Math HL exam.</p>

<p>See, if you stated that most colleges say that BC Calc and HL Math credits count towards the same classes, I would NOT take the HL math exam. Why?</p>

<p>Well, you already got a 5/5 for BC Calc. In order to get HL Math credits, you need at 6/7 on the exam, which only a very small percentage of kids get every year. </p>

<p>Therefore, since you already got 5/5 on the BC exam, it would be pointless to take the HL exam, unless you really want to.</p>

<p>Someone correct me if i’m wrong please as I’ll also face this dilemma next year (Junior taking IB Math HL and AP Calc right now)</p>

<p>My daughter also took BC w/ 5 junior year and on to IB Math HL. She had to take the IB Math HL to get her IB Diploma. I believe the whole class found it be the hardest IB or AP exam they took in high school. The class and exam were good preparation for her engineering classes though.
I wouldn’t pay much to take it if you aren’t a IB Diploma candidate. With a few curious good test takers / really good math students I might pay up to about $30 if my student wanted to take it. I am pretty sure the fee will be much higher and also doubt it is ever going to be used. It would just because the student wanted to try the exam :).</p>