AP Human Geography vs. AP European History

I’m going to be a freshman in high school and was deciding between taking AP Human Geography and AP European History. I’ve heard pros and cons about both, but I am still unsure. Many say AP HUG is a waste of time, but is the easier of the two, while others say AP Euro has a difficult workload but is overall easy material. Does anyone want to share their experiences, advice, or recommendations?

I took AP HUG last year and am currently in AP Euro. AP HUG is easy for an AP class, but that’s because it serves as an introduction to AP courses. If you think you can handle either, take what sounds the most interesting to you. Also, make sure to ask high schoolers you know at your future high school what they think. Teachers and workload can make a huge difference but vary by school.

3 Likes

Most selective colleges consider APHUG to be an “easier” AP class and are less likely to view it as “rigorous” or offer credit for it. However, it is interesting to you, take it anyway but try and take a more difficult one in the future.

1 Like

HUG is considered “easier” on an absolute scale, but it’s perfectly appropriate, and rigorous, for a Freshman. Euro would likely be a challenging intro to AP as a Freshman.

4 Likes

Our school has all freshmen take APHG because it frames the study of social sciences well. It’s really relevant. If it interests you, I would recommend it.

3 Likes

one of my Ds took APHUG and the other took APEuro. They both got 5s on the exams. Both enjoyed the courses. Taking any APs as a freshman looks good. I recommend researching the teachers, if known, and pick the one who will challenge you and inspire you.

2 Likes