AP Lang & Comp in addition to IB SL English Lang/Lit

Okay, the title is a bit misleading because I have to take IB English either way and the question is should I take AP Lang but here is my situation:

I am an IBDP candidate taking HL Biology, Chemistry and Psychology with SL A&I, Spanish & English Lang/Lit. I don’t need anyone to tell me how stupid it was for me to take SL English - this is the first year it was offered at my school and my counselor talked me out of 4 HLs because the 3 other ones I chose are notoriously difficult. We do nothing in my SL English class and I have not improved in my understanding of any material. I’m considering taking AP Lang & Comp next year (my senior year) in addition to my IB course because I think it will both make my transcript look better and prepare me for college.

Would taking AP Lang and IB SL Lang/Lit at the same time be redundant or too heavy of a workload? Would taking AP Lang actually make my transcript look any better (like is SL English frowned upon and will AP Lang make me look more like a competent student?).

Any comments would be appreciated! I plan on applying ED to a top 20 US university so I will have only taken one quarter of AP Lang (if I do that) when I need to submit the application.

Not a “bit misleading;” it is misleading to the point of click bait, so I edited.

You would be wrong.

An IBDP is about as rigorous a course schedule as you can get depending on which subjects you’re pursuing. There are no bonus points awarded for going above and beyond IBDP

So for admissions, AP is unnecessary, although it might be useful from a credit perspective and/or your personal learning

1 Like

Thank you! Couldn’t figure out a great way to word it but that’s perfect. Clickbait wasn’t intentional, my apologies.

This is what I was looking for, thanks!